Joe Puryear...RIP

Dane

Damn, Sincere condolences to the many grieving people right now.

My fondest memory of Joe was helping fix the A/V fiasco at one of his latest slide-shows at Feathered Friends. I held the broken cable through the entire show. Occasionally it would short out . He was unflappable and made light of the difficulties. What a great person to have known.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:(

Joe was cool. He was always so friendly, and willing to share beta with someone like me who was obviously way below his caliber. He always acted like he was just a regular guy. So sad.

Totally agree with this, Rob. Much peace to his family and loved ones.

I met Joe at Siguniang basecamp when he was trying to climb a huge route on the north side. We traded a few emails about Sichuan. He was a true modern day explorer. Not many people on this earth going places he did. It's a tragic but noble way to pass to the other side. He will obviously leave a big void. Condolences to his family.

4305.thumb.jpg.71a3dc186decee3ff04f039d6ed2754b.jpg

Damn. This is really bad news, Joe was a super solid dude with a great heart and spirit.

Really bummed about this news.

Erik

Just saw this over on another site:

Hello My name is Matt Fioretti, I am a friend of Joes. I do not know how to contact Michelle. Please if someone knows Michelle contact info please let her and family know that I am in Nepal and am able to help in anyway possible from this end. I could be in Tibet quickly. Please forward my email fourwindsexepeditions@gmail.com

My prayers and love to family.

My heart goes out to Dave and with Joe's family. I am a friend of Dave's and he was very supportive and sad with my loss Feb 15th on St Helens ( I lost my climbing partner Joe Bohlig ). I know that it will be tough for them, I am just getting back to some sense of normalcy and it has been over 8 months.

I was lucky enough to be with my loved ones within 12 hours of the accident. He is having to deal with it for much longer. I hope that Dave will continue with what he loves and that I will see him next climbing season. I thought I would quit climbing, but quickly realized I would not. Friggin Cornices.......

It's terrible. I'm bereft as so many others in this community are...

Whether or not you knew Joe, read his trip reports, or ever enjoyed a math class, donate to the Joe Puryear Assistance Fund.

If you would like to make a donation to help Joe's family with the costs of bringing him back home, please visit climbtibet.blogspot.com and make a donation, however small.

Donations to help Joe's family can also be mailed to:

Key Bank

Attn: Danielle Grubenhoff

100 7th St.

PO Box 657

Zillah, WA 98953

Please make checks payable to: "The Joe Puryear Donation Account"

You may also visit any Key Bank Location and inform the teller that you would like to donate to "The Joe Puryear Donation Account"

Just put in a donation in my families name. I know first hand you guys are capable of being very generous. Lets bring him home.

+1. I met Joe a couple times and was thoroughly impressed with his kindness, humility, and generosity. Joe would most certainly do the same for any of us. It's the least we can do.

RIP Joe. You were a good man with a big heart and some amazing skills as both a climber and photographer.

I just learned of this today.

My heart goes out to Michelle, Gail, and the rest of the Puryear family. And to David, who must bear the weight of this alone, until he returns.

Joe was one of kindest and most dedicated/motivated people in the Alpine climbing world. He always was happy to share route beta, psyched/supportive about others trips and route plans and quick to offer a smile, a bed, a rope.... He found a way to stay true to his dreams and helped others do so (and safely) thru his exploits, route posts, slide shows, guide books AND psyche.

Rest In Peace Brother. You will be missed and remembered.

Eric Murphy