two more overdue climbers

king5news

pope said:

And while I'm at it, Jeff Renner is a goof. I grow tired of his little winks, his perma-tan face, and his, "Hope to see you in the mountains." A promotion for Jeff showed video of him pursuing his hobbies out in the NW weather. "Jeff Renner: climber, skiier, diver, pilot.." said the narrator. "Dork!" added my wife. I miss that old guy, Ray Ramsey I think was his name.

I dunno, maybe he's too happy for you, but I appreciate that Renner is a hiker/skier/mountaineer, unlike the other meteorologists. He even wrote a fairly useful book about mountain weather in the northwest.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

catbirdseat said:

histrionics, especially when I read/hear "reporting" of that sort. It's a terrible story, and that's exactly why you guys report it (bad news sells papers). The media exaggerates the dangers associated with mountaineering, and why?

"...reporting means that those in the industry have little responsibility to tell the stories in a factual and balanced manner

I stand corrected. You said they are presenting an unbalanced and exaggerated a story. You implied they are not being factual.

Nice cut/paste/juxtaposition. I believe I was responding to the idea that news reporting in general is just a business, instead of commenting on the delivery of the current story. The story becomes exaggerated when it receives far more media attention than a missing persons report from below tree line, or when it is suggested that it is the latest in a "string" of mountaineering accidents when the string is only two accidents.

People's awareness level is raised. It's a classic missing persons report. They happen all the time. About all they could do differently is not report the story at all. Are you afraid that the media is giving climbing a bad name? I think the climbers themselves are doing a good job of that.

All I'm suggesting is that climbing receives media attention mostly only when an accident occurs, and that these incidents are more rare (and perhaps more predictable) than the news media would have the public believe.

philfort said:

pope said:

And while I'm at it, Jeff Renner is a goof. I grow tired of his little winks, his perma-tan face, and his, "Hope to see you in the mountains." A promotion for Jeff showed video of him pursuing his hobbies out in the NW weather. "Jeff Renner: climber, skiier, diver, pilot.." said the narrator. "Dork!" added my wife. I miss that old guy, Ray Ramsey I think was his name.

I dunno, maybe he's too happy for you, but I appreciate that Renner is a hiker/skier/mountaineer, unlike the other meteorologists. He even wrote a fairly useful book about mountain weather in the northwest.

I've got the book and agree that it is useful. I just think he's kind of goofy.

"All I'm suggesting is that climbing receives media attention mostly only when an accident occurs, and that these incidents are more rare (and perhaps more predictable) than the news media would have the public believe."

I will agree with this statement. But it's their rarity that makes them newsworthy. Unfortunately, sometimes, that means an overexposure which creates an impression that an incident ISN'T as rare as it actually is. For example, stranger kidnappings are extremely rare, but whenever one happens anywhere in the country, most newsrooms find themselves doing stories about how to protect ones' children.

As for how often the media does climbing stories that don't focus on someone being overdue/missing/lost/etc, we would be happy to do some feature stories on climbing if you can guide us to some new story ideas. It wouldn't really behoove anyone to do a story on how popular climbing is as a sport (been there, done that), but if there is something new or unusual that would make a good story, we are more than happy to consider those story ideas. I have several reporters who would jump at the chance to do a happy climbing story. So bring on the story ideas!

mattp said:

C'mon, Klenke - picture Jim Forman, standing in the Paradise parking lot with his hair blowing about his face, holding a flashlight. Unless, maybe, the rangers ask them to do so, they don't withold information so much as they don't have much information to present; to make the story more exciting they have him stand out in the storm. That's all. It's classic TV news and it can be kind of amusing.

I love it when they are doing their "live" reports from outside the jail, courthouse, freeway, wherever, at night, hours after the incident occured with noone around. The only thing better are the "live from the _____-center" where they have a "live feed" of some reporter in a room with a bunch of TV's behind her.

fruit.gif

JayB said:

While these are some fair criticisms of the manner in which the media covers climbing related tragedies, it'd be more appropriate to put your thoughts in a letter to the heads of the local media companies rather than laying into the individuals posting as NEWSTIPS and king5news, who by now surely rue the day they ever tried to engage the climbing community by means of this site. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

Calm down dude. Who's laying into NEWSTIPS? Some people are merely discussing what we think about the TV news on our discussion board. Has anybody gotten offensive in this thread? Better yet, has anybody been even close to as offensive as it usually gets on this board, or many others, when a non-regular pops up and attempts to use it to facilitate their commercial enterprise?

Oh, yeah, and I hope those two guys up on Rainier are comfortably waiting it out.

Did anyone hear about the climbers yet? As usual I'm not going to bother reading all the stuff here.

Hey news folks- Face it, a majority of you people can't report climbing incidents to save your ass. But I guess it must be good enough to pay the bills and make people look like trash etc. Nobody likes that sort of shit. If you are going to report stuff get it right. And how come EVERY SINGLE CLIMBER is 'experienced' that you fuckers report on? If I can walk up to camp muir I guess I would be experienced smirk.gif

And another note- Most people don't give a fuck if you know how to climb and report like shit still when concerning climbing related topics. It's viewed as simply raking in the dough for your news machine that is all fucked up.

Sometimes I resent the news people more than cops that are too lazy to hunt real criminals. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

mattp said:

C'mon, Klenke - picture Jim Forman, standing in the Paradise parking lot with his hair blowing about his face, holding a flashlight.

Hey NEWSTIPS,

How come Jim Foreman alwasy gets stuck with the shitty assignments? I swear, when somethings breaking that requires a 300 mile drive in the middle of the night... it's always Jim Foreman that's sent out. I could swear during the WTO protests, Foreman got stuck manning one of the I-5 overpasses Reporting Live as he got biffed in the head by passing punks.

I kinda giggled about it then, but years later I kinda like that Jim Foreman guy. Here's to you, Jim.

bigdrink.gif

Has there been any report on which route they where climbing? Many climbers go overdue on Rainier without it being reported. I had a couple of friends that were stuck 10 days a few years ago on Liberty Ridge and they made it out ok. It didnt hit the news until day 9.

Newstips/King5: The reason some dont like the reports is because often the cost of rescues creeps into the news and then you have Joe 6 pack asking why climbers dont pay for the rescues, and the inevitable discussion of how or why would someone go near a mountain. I remember Cam Johnson on last round of accidents pleading directly to the camera "why do people do this?"

Glad you are making a attempt to get the report right.

Hope these guys are ok,

TTT

eternalX said:

To_The_Top said:

The reason some dont like the reports is because often the cost of rescues creeps into the news and then you have Joe 6 pack asking why climbers dont pay for the rescues, TTT

Why don't climbers pay for rescues?

--eternalX

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

why dont you pay for the cops and fire and ems services.

oh wait you already do, its called taxes.

Search begins for climbers on Mount Rainier

02/18/2003

From Associated Press and ARTURO SANTIAGO / KING 5 News

PARADISE, Wash. – Searchers were prepared to mount a search on Mount Rainier Tuesday for two climbers who failed to return as scheduled on Sunday from a trek on the mountain.

Mount Rainier National Park officials said Christopher McGinnis, 51, of Mukilteo, Wash., and his climbing partner, Quang Thau, whose age and hometown were not immediately available, had plans to climb the Gibraltar Ledges route – the highest reaches of the Nisqually Glacier on the southern flank of the 14,411-foot mountain.

Park rangers said they are hopeful, as the climbers are used to climbing in the winter, and would be ready to take on the elements.

"We are really in a wait mode," park spokesperson Lee Taylor said Monday. ... "They are experienced climbers who are probably waiting for things to break, until visibility improves and they can make it down the mountain."

The men were equipped with an extra day's supply of food and four day's worth of fuel for cooking and melting snow into drinking water.

"It's not uncommon for climbing parties to be on the route for longer than they had anticipated," Taylor said, "especially in the winter when the weather can change quickly."

"We're in shock...we're scared and mad at him all at the same time," said Debbie McDonough, sister-in law of McGinnis. "We don't know what to do, it's been very difficult."

KING

It's not unusual for climbers to return late from a climb during bad weather conditions. Snow was falling in the area all day Monday, "and it's probably going to snow all night, too," said National Weather Service forecaster Chris Burke.

If weather permits, a helicopter will assist in the search.

Lows of 10 degrees at Camp Muir around the 10,100-foot level of the mountain's southeastern flank and 10 degrees below zero at the summit were expected overnight, the weather service said.

McGinnis has climbed Mount Rainier three times and has also climbed Mount McKinley and other Alaskan peaks, Taylor said.

“They're prepared to camp. They could be at a variety of different spots on the mountain, we don't know for sure if they made it to the summit,” she said.

bio_forman_lg.jpg

Edited by COL._Von_Spanker

As for how often the media does climbing stories that don't focus on someone being overdue/missing/lost/etc, we would be happy to do some feature stories on climbing if you can guide us to some new story ideas. It wouldn't really behoove anyone to do a story on how popular climbing is as a sport (been there, done that), but if there is something new or unusual that would make a good story, we are more than happy to consider those story ideas. I have several reporters who would jump at the chance to do a happy climbing story. So bring on the story ideas!

How about tracking Erden's progress to Denali?

Rodchester said:

I agree...Erden's journey is a good recurring event...in the sense that it is a good story that can be tracked over time.

Yep. Here is an outdoor enthusiast who has had some adversity in his life and is taking on an immense and interesting challenge. And yet two people 20 hours overdue (at the time this thread started) in the midst of a storm are getting more press.

This is a great opportunity for the press to pick up on and celebrate something positive *and* interesting.

How about it King5News and Newstips?????

erik said:

eternalX said:

To_The_Top said:

The reason some dont like the reports is because often the cost of rescues creeps into the news and then you have Joe 6 pack asking why climbers dont pay for the rescues, TTT

Why don't climbers pay for rescues?

--eternalX

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

why dont you pay for the cops and fire and ems services.

oh wait you already do, its called taxes.

You don't pay for EMS services? Tell the hosiptal that next time you get picked up by an ambulance or heli.

--eternal

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif