what i learned this weekend...

underworld

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you really tall?

I think p3 is significantly harder than p2, but if you were tall (>6'3" or so?) you could probably reach the big edge above the crux.

Nope. 6'1" ish.

Back-step plus stem w/hands allowed a high step that got us to the jugs w/o having to crank on the fingertip slot. I didn't lead it, but the pro seemed pretty reasonable.

Did you learn anything about that last (5.9) pitch?

If you mean the last pitch of Lovin' Arms we didn't get there this time - we rapped off after p3 because Fred was waiting for us.

That hard move on P3 is a one-move wonder, and not really all that hard if you stem up as high as you can before comitting to it. And, yes, the pro is small - but you can put as many small wires in there as you want. P2 is sustained and, I think, a much more demanding pitch overall.

Sometimes its a good idea to use tape.

The weather on the N.Shore of lake superior can change in mere seconds, and the reality of escaping a route could quite possibly be swimming accross the lake.

The wind can literally fling you around and not allow you back on route.

Never climb a route WAAAAY above your ability, in hurricane type winds, while the person who set the route over 30yrs ago is sitting there watching you.

Always climb with someone you trust can help you out of a sticky situation!

Beer is good!!! - NO! Beer is VERY GOOD! bigdrink.gif

Beer is good!!! - NO! Beer is VERY GOOD! bigdrink.gif

You belong in Oregon.

No Shit! Im trying hard! I didnt get the job with the Bend Park and Rec dept, sadly enough. I think it was an inside job! smirk.gif

I am searching on a daily basis. I have faith something will come along in the near future. Hell, Im practically packed! shocked.gif

1. a japanese tour group can consist of more than 12 people in the backcountry as long as they are spread apart over the distance of 2 miles.

2. if you drive fast enough on the cascade river road, there is the possibility that you will almost run over 2 different bears.

3. no espresso stands are open before 6am from I5 to Marblemount on Sundays

4. only subarus are allowed at the Cascade Pass trailhead

5. only overnight backpackers are allowed at Sahale Glacier Camp, you are not allowed to climb it if you spend the night

never run into it before, but there's some little bug in icicle canyon that'll chew your ass up but good and you won't even feel it while asleep. and i'm not talking ticks. feels like i've been bitten by spiders and worked over by a team of sand fleas.

Yeah, I learned that 25 years ago. Once you take that first step, it's a piece of cake. Falling down takes absolutely no effort at all. yellaf.gif

I still wanna try bungee jumping and para-sailing before I kick it. I've already had my fill of hang-gliding crashes... hellno3d.gif