Biggest SandBag [Local Route]

EWolfe

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, to be as cool as Lance. I'm sure you know a lot about pulling drilled pockets up well bolted limestone overhangs, Lance. It's easy to have an epic, especially when your chalkbag doesn't match your rope, or you forget your favorite quickdraw and fall off the last clip of der Pencildick again. Seems like Vegas burns brain cells, going by the logic of your argument. moon.gifrolleyes.gifmoon.gif

This has nothing to do with judgement and everything to do with attitude. Have some backbone and do not complain, as life is good and you are free!

Climbing history is full of people who were HARD, people with grit. Let's honor their spirit by keeping a firm upper lip.

Great advice, as long as you are following it and not holding the expectation that others will be like you.

Because, invariably, they won't.

wave.gif

I second (or third?) Damnation. Does it make sense to layback the lower 20 feet? Really awkward jamming for me...

Hey MVS -

I usually do a combination of fist jamming and laybacking for the first 25 feet. There are some really good features out on the face of Jello Tower that help. I think I usually walk a 3 Camalot up for the first 20 feet or so. Its easy to plug a lot of gear in the intial section. Fun route. Enjoy!

For real OW enthusiasts, try Carnival Crack. I think it is easy for the grade although I was on TR.

Has anyone mentioned the route that to me seems the most sand-bagged of all time?

Numbah Ten at 12a?

-----------------------------------------

Speaking of Index and its "rating system", has anyone reading this thread ever truly on sight flashed a route of 5.12a or harder at index?

( no watching anyone else work the moves, no rapping and equiping or bolting the route- just walk up to a new climb at a new cliff-- tie in and send?)

As of 92' no one ever had (according to the mags)--has this changed?

Kind of puts the ratings into perpsective.

Relative fit newbies can onsight 12a at a lot of other areas.

Not that I care-- but just food for thought.

Jens – You have made the same post twice in this thread. Arguments about ratings aside the magazine article you are referencing is incorrect.

Numbah 10 .12b – I believe this was flashed by Peter Mayfield. I believe he agreed witrh the rating.

Iron Horse .12a – Although he may have climbed to the ringing flake before I think that Dick flashed up the flare and roof on the first complete free ascent. Dick rated the route.

Bat Skins .12b – I believe this was flashed by Russ Clune. He suggested the rating to me in a dicussion.

Big Science .12b – Wasn’t this flashed by Lynn Hill?

With the exception of Big Science, which I am unsure of, all of these ascents occurred before 1992. There have been lots of Index 5.12 flashes. The odd thing is why would anyone think that someone was/could keep track of them. I mention the above because someone already brought up #10 and collectively they account for most of the classic .12s at the Lower Wall.

cool.gif

The smell of a flame war about to erupt I sense.

I've heard of several solid 5.10 gym climbers going up to Amphetamine Grip at Smith and wimpering like little puppies at the last 20 foot or so run-out. They say its 5.7, hmmmm. Maybe 5.7D.

To think Steve and Danny were on a 3 day amphetimine binge (no sleep for 2 days) climbing with loose crap like only a first ascent at Smith can invoke: it still emits wonder when you think of it.

Chairman Maos little red book always seem harder than the 11a rating- right around the corner from Amphetine grip at Smith. I think ya need to sack up and not stop in the crux to pro it. Since I have small sacks, I haven't got it nailed down just yet.

And most of the stuff on castle rock, but that could just be me.

The Nose seemed no harder than Z crack, just scarier. Killer B's has a really nasty weightshift/traverse move that someone who's spent too much time on plastic would enjoy and find easy.

Anything you can bypass with a shoulderstand at Index is not factored into the rating IMHO

I vote for Lev "easy" 3rd class descents

Chairman Maos little red book always seem harder than the 11a rating- right around the corner from Amphetine grip at Smith. I think ya need to sack up and not stop in the crux to pro it. Since I have small sacks, I haven't got it nailed down just yet.

I thought that Mao's little red book was kinda soft for the grade. pretty much just tenuous stemming. The pro is good and the actual crux section seems pretty short. I believe I remember getting in several bomber nuts and a few aliens.

• 1 year later...

Snag Crack on Domestic Dome seams harder than 5.7 to me. Tool Time at Pearly Gates - 5.9+, yeah right.

How the heck do you do the first move on Leap of Faith at P.G. anyways? Dyno off a 2 finger jamb with no feet. Shit feels harder than 10D.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Angel Crack yet. That would rate #1 on my list of sandbag 5.10a routes.

jja, agree with Dogleg being very stiff and scary for a "5.8".

Model Worker, I am not sure about.

I think the 2nd pitch one move wonder "10b" move off the ledge on Godzilla is way harder than 10b. Maybe I just need tricounis.

Edited by Alex