EWolfe

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al_Pine said:

Handjamming would be easier than the way I do it,

except when it's wet toward the back.

Al Pine - I've already given you too much beta... wink.gif BTW if you and the family are headed south for Turkey day send me a pm and I'll give you the beta on the Central Cal pub club. cool.gif

How can you handjam a lovely blank-walled perfect butt-foot chimenee!? That's like laybacking a splitter handcrack! Like grabbing holds on a perfect friction slab! Like NOT clipping the bolts on an Exit 38 sport climb!!!!!! hellno3d.gifpitty.gif

It's like walking to the top of El Cap. wave.gifwink.gif

ETA: obviously Mattp has identified himself as on of the Aries apologists! cool.gif

Edited by Al_Pine

Ehmic -

We don't need your stinking "little hands" beta. If you get hand jams in the upper part of that corner, your "easy way" won't work for guys like me.

I find it much easier to stay out of the corner, like maybe six or eight feet out, where I can chimney up the thing feet vs butt. If I recall correctly, it is better to face north so you get a hand bucket you can use to pull out of the chimney, though it is more intuitive to start up facing the other way. But you've suggested that "further out" it wants to "poop you out," so I'm taking it you don't climb it this way.

Al-

I make no apologies when I go around the other way. I simply say: do you want to climb the chimney? The answer is just about always "no." The apologies kick in when the guy says "yes," but he doesn't want to lead it, and I futz around a while getting psyched for the chimney. "Sorry, I thought I knew how to climb this thing... just a minute... I got it...."

Scott-

The crux moves on Angel were the same, though perhaps a little less polished, when it was rated 5.7. If you read the text, though, it mentioned a "bouldery start" or something like that and it may have mentioned something about 5.10. But the route was listed in the old guidebook as 5.7.

MisterE said:

Nice auto-sig, Pope! yellaf.gif

Glad to hear about The Nose. A couple of years ago, I onsighted MF, and then, feeling good about that, went for the onsight of The Nose and got completely spanked. Had to bail and leave a piece. I am usually pretty good at thin fingers, but couldn't figure that one out and was really frustrated, cuz it was only supposed to be one letter grade harder. madgo_ron.gif

NICE PIC!! OLD SCHOOL

I OS'ed the Nose a few years ago but I thought the MF overhang looked harder and still haven't tried it. The Nose on Jello Tower seemed to be right at my OS ability when I led it and I thought it felt more like .11bs at Smith at the time.

MF is a one move climb and as such is kinda hard to use as a standard. I don't think the Nose is really under rated consider the direct finish to MF. Certainly that is considerably harder than the Nose.

I agree with the pope that C & B is not poorly rated but I think that it is a harder lead than Thin Fingers or even Presure Drop at Index.

Everyone seems to be discussing differences of a letter grade or two - hardly a sandbag. What about Princely Ambitions? That seems a huge step over Godzilla as a lead.

PP bigdrink.gif

Peter_Puget said:

MF is a one move climb and as such is kinda hard to use as a standard. I don't think the Nose is really under rated consider the direct finish to MF. Certainly that is considerably harder than the Nose.

I agree with the pope that C & B is not poorly rated but I think that it is a harder lead than Thin Fingers or even Presure Drop at Index.

Everyone seems to be discussing differences of a letter grade or two - hardly a sandbag. What about Princely Ambitions? That seems a huge step over Godzilla as a lead.

PP bigdrink.gif

when i think back, there were no moves that were undergraded, but it has kinda heady. he traverse kinda freaked me out a bit, but i think all the move were all in at about 5.9+

Peter_Puget said:

PP bigdrink.gif

I think Pressure Drop is a fine pitch at 5.10b, and by that I mean it would be rated no harder than 10b just about any place I've climbed.

Anybody climbed Alley-Oop Chimney? How about the original 1st pitch of Yak Crack?