Biggest SandBag [Local Route]

EWolfe

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pope said

original first pitch [should be first TWO PITCHES...] of yak crack

some friends of mine went to do yak crack and there was a party in the chimney and the leader dropped a #3 big bro which nearly killed one of my friends. the big bro got bent like a banana. that's an expensive fumble!

• 1 month later...
On hand sizes have you guys climbed "Introductory Offer" at the Bend? It spanked ever "solid" male 10 leader and then the woman with us cruised it! Check it out next time your at Tieton. And ladies, send the men up first and watch 'em squirm!

I know the guy who put it up (FKA anyway) and he has small hands.

(smith)Wedding Day feels good at 10B, but everybody tells me different. I’ve climbed a few other 10B with challenging cruxes, how about the one next to Screaming Yellow Zonkers (10D)?

(leaveworth)Canary 5.8 P1 exit moves feels 5.8 technique, maybe burly and a bit awkward. But how about (gunks)Wrist 5.6 last pitch roof exit moves?

I’d agree that Seneca and Gunks and Index each feel hard, similar but uniquely.

(snow creek wall)Outerspace 5.9 finishing the Pedestal Pitch at 5.6 seemed OK; but, then, I didn’t feel the 5.9 in the crux.

• 3 weeks later...
Model Worker at Index fells like a total sandbag to me.

Others?

Hey Mr.E...

wanna hear sumpin' funny? My wife, at the HUGE height of 5'-1" tall flashed that thing...climbed all the way up, did the splits, reached down and USED HER LEFT ANKLE as a handhold...then hiked the rest of the route...

Pissed me off...i fell off the stupid thing my first go! madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif had to listen to endless heckling

Damnation 5.9.....I've done it several times and its always felt like a "real" 5.8. The lower part is just weird and off hands/fist. The upper section is weird to start but once you get situated, its a breeze.

The weird thing I see is as the average climbers ability skyrockets due to training, gyms, protection, etc, then why are we making the grades of established grades harder when the people who established them did more with less in most of the above categories. Maybe we should be downgrading the climbs, like calling Damnation 5.7 and Godzilla 5.8+. What ya think? wave.gif

Hey Tim wave.gif...how's canucky land treatin' you?

The reason why the ratings are going up instead of down is the gyms...rank beginners get on "10's" in the gym and then expect that grade to match outside...they then get spanked and bitch...

I'll get back to you on your email...just super busy these days...

The reason why the ratings are going up instead of down is the gyms...rank beginners get on "10's" in the gym and then expect that grade to match outside...they then get spanked and bitch...

It's been a long time since I've been in a gym, but I always found the 5.X ratings applied to those things bizarre, but I found the ratings hard compared to the real world. Funny that it swings the other way for gym folk.

Lummox pretty much summed up the whole thread into one blinding sentence of truth.

Examples:Oh, I dont sport climb,... too many people.

Bouldering? I prefer to climb "real" mountains.

Trad is scary, so much crap!

We prefer the gym, the ratings are more consistent inside..

Saying things like this still makes you out to be soft.

We all love a complainer!

Lummox pretty much summed up the whole thread into one blinding sentence of truth.

Examples:Oh, I dont sport climb,... too many people.

Bouldering? I prefer to climb "real" mountains.

Trad is scary, so much crap!

We prefer the gym, the ratings are more consistent inside..

Saying things like this still makes you out to be soft.

We all love a complainer!

Whatever. All you guys trying to be hard asses. If the gear is thin, I wanna know how fucking hard it is. It is called risk management. If you dont know the risks, sooner or later you are gonna die. I am not willing to jump on a climb that might be 5.11 might be 5.13 with gear that is not great. I know you wouldn't either so anything you say here is just B.S.

This has nothing to do with judgement and everything to do with attitude. Have some backbone and do not complain, as life is good and you are free!

Climbing history is full of people who were HARD, people with grit. Let's honor their spirit by keeping a firm upper lip.

Whatever. Do you onsight cracks with marginal gear that look cool no matter what their grade even if they may be 2 full numbers above your ability? I dont think so. How about you honor their spirit by not pretending to be one of them eh?

Let he without guilt cast the first stone...

We all get in over our head sometimes,we just try not to lose our composure...back off, grab gear, run it out, S#!t your pants...the stuff of legend!

In the end, epics are more memorable (and interesting).

I have cried,wimpered and scrached my way up things, don't get me wrong, I just want to do it with style.