Biggest SandBag [Local Route]

EWolfe

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saber, sure it's easy but it feels harder than 5.4. Both classic crack and dogleg crack at 5.8 felt pretty hard to me.

At smith the 'panic' pitch coming out of the monkey's mouth - not the straight up bolt ladder, but the rightward traverse - felt way hard at 5.7. The crack to the left of bbq the pope feels harder than 10a at the top.

Everything at index. (i so suck)

MattP Beckey route isn't 5.6. That was my first climb until then I had just done some 4th class scrambling and honestly thought that it wasn't harder then anything I hadn't climbed before.

For Sandbags I'm going with zoom 10b at index and I couldn't even get off the ground.

eric8 said:

MattP Beckey route isn't 5.6. That was my first climb until then I had just done some 4th class scrambling and honestly thought that it wasn't harder then anything I hadn't climbed before.

For Sandbags I'm going with zoom 10b at index and I couldn't even get off the ground.

that isn't even the hard part! sport at index is killa fer rilla! yellaf.gif

eric8 said:

i think zoom is in darryl's guide as 10c/d?

eric8 said:

MattP Beckey route isn't 5.6.

No, eric8, look again: I said it wasn't 5.5. However, if backed into a corner I'll say it isn't 5.6 either (that slab where Fred and Helmey gave each other a shoulder stand is 5.7 for one move, I think). Also, most topo's and route descriptions make it sound like three relatively straight-forward pitches - most "newbie" climbers belay about five pitches and find them far from straight-forward. Then there's the issue of getting their rope stuck on the way down, and the deadly bowling alley approach/descent gully is no joke either....

I'm with you in having been stumped by that first move on Zoom, though.

MisterE said:

speaking of which - wedding day... hellno3d.gif

That's not sandbagged! It is one or two 10 moves at the begininng then .8-9 to the top.

Titanic in Squamish, hardest v3 ever!!

Quasar at Smith yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif Only if you aren't a crack climber though.

Darth Maul at 11worth is at least one graded harder than stated.

mattp said:

I've always thought Breakfast of Champions was kind of hard for the .10a rating.

I thought the same thing while onsighting it. Linked it with the 2nd pitch of the route below it...climbed off the ledge, placed a piece, made a couple moves, downclimbed back to the ledge, climbed a little higher and placed another piece, went "damn, ain't gettin no easier, better punch it" and then two moves higher it's perfect hands...Ahhhhhh!.

Second time I climbed it, knowing that fatty handjams are up there, and it's really a short pitch, it didn't seem like a sandbag at all.

willstrickland said:

mattp said:

I've always thought Breakfast of Champions was kind of hard for the .10a rating.

I thought the same thing while onsighting it. Linked it with the 2nd pitch of the route below it...climbed off the ledge, placed a piece, made a couple moves, downclimbed back to the ledge, climbed a little higher and placed another piece, went "damn, ain't gettin no easier, better punch it" and then two moves higher it's perfect hands...Ahhhhhh!.

Second time I climbed it, knowing that fatty handjams are up there, and it's really a short pitch, it didn't seem like a sandbag at all.

it is not perfect hands anywhere mad.gif

Minx if you got small hands then Breakfast of Champions must be perfect for you right at the bottom (crux) then turn into overhanging OW hellno3d.gif. No wonder you think it's hard!

Zoom: I couldn't pull the first move either. How the hell do you guys do that? (I pulled on the bolt, that made it pretty easy yellaf.gif). And Harpell, you calling Zoom a sport climb?! I guess I missed the bolts on that runout thin crack section confused.gif.

Libra Crack is basically BOC without the extra 40 feet of overhanging handcrack. So if you really think Libra crack is a sandbag then BOC has gotta be on your list too.

Beckey Route: I agree with sandbag on the slab move, definitely not 5.5, but perhaps you could just make a running start at it like the kiddies do on the slab at the UW Rock?

Lizard Chimney? Anyone think that's a sandbag at 5.8? 5.8 is a pretty weird grade I guess.

Check out the first pitch of the Back Road. Seemed hard for 5.7.