Magical encounter

Frankazoid

Just bushwacked to the top of deception crags, high above nevermind wall... in the deep and dark woods i found a tall steep crag with some high potential for new routes. On top of the wall was a HUGE cougar staring down at my friend and I. The experience was truly unbeleivable. Steep scrambling above deception crags, heavy heavy rain, daylight dissappearing, dark mossy woods with old groth trees and deadfall, steep crags jetting out... and a absolutely HUGE and powerful cougar in all it's glory. The setting for this experience was mind blowing. I wish I could transfer the image from my brain to yours. I always pictured that when I came across a cougar it would be the normal slim, athletic build, not too huge and bulky cougar you see in photos and video. But NOPE! This thing was like a damn tiger!

Just a cool experience I wanted to share.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been checking out crags all over that neighborhood for potential development. I definitely think the best rock at that exit is high up there, in nearly inaccessible places. I've seen scat and tracks of every mountain critter up there, including cougar, but never had the pleasure of a face to face... Except for a goat. What an experience! But it also brings me back to the same nagging feeling, that maybe I shouldn't make a reason for more monkeys to slog up the hill, and use their living room for a jungle gym... Goddammit, I sound like DAWG!

Nice! Very, very lucky. As an ecologist I spend quite a bit of time out and about in the PNW on top of climbing/skiing. I've see 3 cougars in 30 yrs of work. Once was following a cat on telemetry and it still took us an hour of looking when the dang thing was up a tree 20 yds from us. Sounds like a chill-up-the-spine moment. Excellent.

Wow! I've never seen one. But I wonder how many times they see us without our noticing.

Earlier this spring, I was biking up this road on the outskirts of Bellingham called Squalicum Mountain Road. There was still snow on the side of the road. I saw what I guessed were cougar tracks in the snow: it was too huge and round to be a dog's print, plus the tracks went straight into the woods. Now every time I ride there I feel like I'm being watched!

But it also brings me back to the same nagging feeling, that maybe I shouldn't make a reason for more monkeys to slog up the hill, and use their living room for a jungle gym... Goddammit, I sound like DAWG!

No, you sound like a reasonable conservationist.

Cool experience though you were being eyed with being a dinner guest ...

Fixed that for ya....

Last time I saw one was about 10 years ago. Driving up the Middle Fork road at close to dusk a cougar darted across the road in front of us. Damned thing was huge!