Steph- Here's to a speedy recovery!

JasonG

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. I responded to a compound fracture of the tib/fib in the Bugs back in '03 and stayed with the patient while they called in the mounties. I can imagine those 2+ hours took some serious moxie to get through so props to you for sucking it up. I got a letter several weeks/months later, and she was on the road to recovery, but it was a long road. There is light at the end of the tunnel ... and hopefully some IV dilaudid in between.

Edited by Winter

Wow, crazy story. Since you didn't lose your foot, I'm sure it will be a fun experience to talk about 10 years from now. Nice that it happened at the end of a good summer, and not the beginning. Good work to everyone involved.

I'm not trying to change the subject or start a debate, this has been covered before, but in her story Steph said that maybe a Spot Beacon might have been better than a phone. In my experience a phone is more reliable in the cascades (but not reliable enough to make me bring one along very often). Spot worked about 10% of the time for me, even when I was out in the open. A phone has been crucial for Steph n friends on 2 occasions now.

IMG_2149.jpg

(Steph's Photo)

Somehow, making words with my alphabet cookies helped me to stay sane up there. The worst part was the first 2 hours, wondering if my sister would find cell service, since if she could not it was doubtful she would make it to a pay phone in time to get an airlift that day. We were lucky with the cell service, and lucky that the helo happened to be all ready to go as it was on a recon for a body up on Snow King. The helo was sent in by Snohomish County Sherrif's Office, and I do have to say they did a phenomenal job. These guys really put themselves on the line to rescue climbers in need. Many of them are volunteer helpers.

I guess I will put it out there that there is some nice gear on the route that my sister left behind as she rappelled to the glacier. There's a rope (might be damaged), at least 4 cams, and several biners and slings. So, if anyone happens to have a Vesper adventure in mind in the near future, maybe look out for some gear. We were slightly to the right of the gully on the lower face, since the gully was wet at the time we were climbing, so it might be a bit off the ideal route.

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. Being injured sucks, especially long-term like this injury clearly is going to be, but at least I was injured doing something I love doing. I will take it as my challenge for the year to get myself back to 100% by next season!

-Steph

IMG_2149.jpg

(Steph's Photo)

Somehow, making words with my alphabet cookies helped me to stay sane up there. The worst part was the first 2 hours, wondering if my sister would find cell service, since if she could not it was doubtful she would make it to a pay phone in time to get an airlift that day. We were lucky with the cell service, and lucky that the helo happened to be all ready to go as it was on a recon for a body up on Snow King. The helo was sent in by Snohomish County Sherrif's Office, and I do have to say they did a phenomenal job. These guys really put themselves on the line to rescue climbers in need. Many of them are volunteer helpers.

I guess I will put it out there that there is some nice gear on the route that my sister left behind as she rappelled to the glacier. There's a rope (might be damaged), at least 4 cams, and several biners and slings. So, if anyone happens to have a Vesper adventure in mind in the near future, maybe look out for some gear. We were slightly to the right of the gully on the lower face, since the gully was wet at the time we were climbing, so it might be a bit off the ideal route.

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. Being injured sucks, especially long-term like this injury clearly is going to be, but at least I was injured doing something I love doing. I will take it as my challenge for the year to get myself back to 100% by next season!

-Steph

:tup: