What was the weekend activity?

Scott_J

I went fishing with GregW. Water was high and the rain was pouring on us like we were in a blender. It was fun though. Greg was the man...he was the only one to catch anything.

Lots of ghost fish in the water...yuk. I hated removing them from my nets in Bristol Bay and I still hate it sport fishing. Gives one the creeps especially if a finger just slides into the body tissue! hellno3d.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tis the season to crank out gifts. I made a batch of chocolate cream caramels. They turned out great. I was planning to make a batch of vanilla cream caramels today, but the wet weather will mess it up (humidity is no good for taffies and caramels). I'm taking my sons to see Star Trek later today.

So, no climbing. Weather's warm for ice, but wet for rock.

Fairweather, I used to supplement our meat supply with a monthly spear fishing trip from somewhere south of Edmonds to the public beach north of the oil docks in the 70's. I'd do this at high tide to catch the south going rip about 200 yds offshore and then swim in to catch the north going rip. It was a sweet deal. I'd spear about 60 pounds of fish, collect clams and crab for the pot. Freeze up filets and have fresh clams and crab that day. Anyway I NEVER gave one thought to large predators until this year. I was talking with a professional diver that works the Sound from way down south to near the top by the Friday Harbor Island area. He was telling me about his shark encounters. At first I thought he was pulling my leg but after he was done I was a believer. I won't tell his stories but needless to say if I were to spear fish again in the Sound I would do as I do in Hawaii...blood proof bucket in a float tethered on a quick release. Frist tug and Mr or Ms Shark can have my catch of the day.

By the way I quit spearing because of the number of fish I saw with tumors on their sides!!!!! Grim

Hey Sisu, what are ghost fish? Is that another name for ratfish? Now them's some ugly critters.

Yes, there's great whites up here. There's been one confirmed great white attack (non-fatal) in Washington state, just north of Ocean Shores. That compares with 14 g.w. attacks in Oregon (1 fatal) and 79 white attacks (8 fatal) in CA. Of all shark attacks in America, only 26% were on divers.

There's a mind-bending picture of a huge great white shark (20+ feet) caught off Westport hanging in a surf shop down there. They needed a crane to lift the thing up out of the water.

Xmas shopped on Sat. What a joy, laping parking lots in search of a slot and waiting in long check out lines.

Put the tree up tonight. In addition to the usual bulbs an lights, my son and I decorated it with ice screws, biners, wired nuts and prussik cord. Turned out looking great.

House stuff on Saturday, framed in windows. Party Saturday night.

Anyone catch the show at the Crocodile Saturday night? I missed it due to an obligatory party, which ended up being fun!

More house stuff Sunday, followed by a walk at Kubota Gardens, then a nap, and another party. Now it's nap-time again, and up early in the morning. No climbing for a week, cuz of bad fingers. cry.gif