any Xterra owners?

mudmenace

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SUVs are for wanks. thumbs_down.gif

Word.

If you're concerned about gas mileage, might I recommend....a bike? Supplemented by a bus pass? Just an idea.

My '03 Forester (5 spd) gets 28-29 mpg on the highway. I'm not sure of the city mileage, since I bike to work. Pretty much goes anywhere I want it to. I have a friend with an Xterra, but we usually take my car because it's cheaper.

YMMV.

Here is the ultimate climbers chariot, the Klenke Mobile:

945Tony_axing_tree_sm10-med.jpg

Great gas mileage and gets you where you want to go, or even where you don't want to go.

Another vote for the Klenke mobile. I have a Honda Civic myself. 35MPG ALL THE TIME. I average about 30 trips a year to the mountains.....maybe one of those trips a year I wish I had higher clearance.

You really want to save on gas and have a place to sleep? Get a Jetta Station Wagon TDI. 50mpg on diesel even with the air conditioner on full blast even while sitting in traffic. Diesel prices are high compared to unleaded around here. I heard it was temporary due to some manufacturing problems that will be rectified.

My Honda doesn't get 30 mpg anymore unless I'm driving interstates and highways (at constant speed). The car is old and has nearly 270k miles. Once while driving around Yellowstone I got 40 mpg! It probably gets about 20 mpg on logging roads, which is still pretty good considering. It doesn't have the greatest power on highway hills but I can shift down (manual transmission) on steep logging roads to make up for this deficiency. Plus I drive fast on these roads, which further reduces gas mileage (always slowing down and reaccelerating around bends).

The car lacks adequate interior heating due to burned out coils, causing consternation among passengers 444375-violinplayer.gif . It's also worn in the shocks department. There are a myriad of other problems. One of the most annoying right now is the busted spring on the back hatch latch (I'll spare you the details). Because it's a POS, I can beat my Honda to hell (i.e, go to places and at speeds others would blench at) and not feel at all bad about it. Last year someone backed into the front left bumper while it was parked in Seattle. I could have cared less. The dent didn't affect the drivability.

Stefan takes his beater Accord in some odd, rough places himself, but I think his lack of clearance gets him more than he wants to admit. And yet, I'm still amazed at what he was willing to do on the road up to Mission Peak.

My opinion is don't buy an SUV with 12-15 mpg. You'll be sorry when gas goes up to $3.00 a gallon. And you thought assmonkey was joking about that last year.

Let's say you drive 3,000 miles per year doing climbs. Here's the math at $3.00/gallon and 15 mpg:

3,000/15 x 3.00 = $600. And that's at 3,000 mpy--a conservative value (especially for peakbaggers such as myself).

444375-violinplayer.gif.620c1de32242f67fd1b10a1da9c57015.gif

I have a friend who just got a Dodge Big Horn (I think this is what they call it) 4X4, four door, pick-up with the Hemi engine. According to the little read out in the cab, this thing was getting 8 miles to the gallon going down the freeway at 60 mph.

I couldn't imagine driving something like this when gas prices are where they're at. It hurts to drive my little Toyota.

Gas prices will never get down to where they were a few years ago. But the auto makers continue to put out bigger and bigger vehicles. Toyota and Nissan have some pretty big trucks now and they are selling.

Bottom line is that for 99% of the climbs, skis, and mt. bike rides in and around the Cascades theirs no need for a SUV. But it is quite manley. Whatever.

You don't get this Soob vs SUV battle in Canada. Each knows its place. Yes, lots of wanks never takin their Subruban off pavement, but the limits for each vehicle are clearly drawn; majority of deactivated FSRs will demolish an Outback.

Amazing how much shit in BC is inaccessible without a truck, as compared to WA. ?Pourquoi?

majority of deactivated FSRs will demolish an Outback.

Blasphemer! I guarantee that forthwith we shall witness a deluge of heroic Subaru stories to counter this vile slander! "This one time, my Subaru..."

Anyhow - lets get back to the mileage front, shall we? The standard for fuel economy on the high end is easily double what the Outbacks get - yet we have to listen to all of the self-righteous palaver from the cult of the Subaru drone on about how they are eco-heros for nudging a few miles off of the average SUV's fuel economy. You can get everywhere an Outback will take you in a Geo Metro so until you are tooling around the Cascades in one of these suckers spare us the sermons. Thanks.

Hey Jay sub's rock. Mine goes like a bat out of hell with the turbo motor and 5 spd. Gas mileage is total shit with my lead foot .. not even breaking 20 sometimes. I don't care though, it's fun, goes almost anywhere and is great at high speed on the hwy getting to where you're going.

The absolute worse though is everybody thinking that I'm a lib hippie cause I drive one. I swear I'm getting a Hummer next thumbs_up.gif

sub.jpg

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

Yeah, soobs can do it all rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I used to have a jeep with 33's and locked diffs, so I know what real off road is .. it's just that some of us do really drive sub's the way they are intended, almost 2' deep water crossing in the ghost counts right wazzup.gif

I find it so amusing to hear all the subaru owners saying SUVs suck. I think you're splitting hairs when you call you seperate the outback and xterra into two different categories of car. There ain't a whole lot of difference. Subaru owners will just pay more to say they don't own an "SUV".

I own a Honda/Isuzu Passport and it's alright. It's reliable (my guess, more reliable than a subaru), but the gas mileage does suck (much worse than 17 in city). Luckily, I take the bus to work 4 out of the 5 days a week so i'm only filling up on my trips. Would I buy another one? Probably not. But i have to admit that it fits 4 people with gear nicely and I can sleep in the back and it's not so big. I can see all around the thing and I think the Xterra is the same way. Unlike the Monterro, explorer and others.