• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
KirkW

Mt Hood

Planning a visit to the summit early the morning of the 30th. Looking for beta on snow/ice conditions for the South side routes - anyone been up since the warm temps started last week? Snow conditions on the Old Chute looking consolidated?

If anyone is heading up this weekend, could you please take some pics/notes and post back here? Pints of gratitude for your efforts...

It's in good shape, likely will be for about 2 months. Was up Sat and Sun. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2019 at 4:10 PM, AlecE said:

It's in good shape, likely will be for about 2 months. Was up Sat and Sun. 

Nice. Thanks for the info. Looks like we'll get a little break in this salty but not severe weather late Friday and early Saturday. We'll see!

Not really worthy of a TR as it is climbed so very often, but I went up the Old Chute route on March 30th with a buddy. I figured I should return the beta favor above and put up some pics, with the goal of at least stoking the fire for others. We took advantage of a clearing weather window that opened just before midnight the 29th, was supposed to last around 12 hours, and ended up lasting 2 days. Typical Hood day of leaving the parking lot bivy around 1:45 am, climbing under a sea of stars, 3-10 degrees F until the sun came up, summiting in the morning hours, returning in the early afternoon under sun and 50s-60s. Made a half-dozen new friends breaking trail through the Old Chute... the really fun side of a "social route". Snow conditions were *perfect* for climbing/glissading/sliding/shenanigans, with all of the upper mountain wiped clean by the hash of light storms earlier that week. Plenty of skiers and snowboarders making it look reallllll good on the way down. People appeared on the summit from seemingly every aspect while we hung out on the summit. A+ day.

Some pics:

Climbing under starlight/headlights:

IMG_0978.thumb.JPG.ccd8d263b022f30e499b4c5b6d24629e.JPG

Just before sunrise near Devil's Kitchen:

IMG_0988.thumb.JPG.7b2c551a48811ac0cb18c4dcb0c26b4f.JPG

Sunrise mountain shadow from the Hogsback:

IMG_1005.thumb.JPG.695eacdd3c80dc66a06501f9d60ef8ed.JPG

Looking down from our lookout/ski hide-away just under the Old Chute finish:

IMG_1012.thumb.JPG.01b9d9fd515af8d208f48562cc143668.JPG

Summit views to the North:

IMG_1039.thumb.JPG.316ac26a161783c75fe408c8973a52f4.JPG

My buddy Max down-climbing the steepest bit of the Old Chute:

IMG_1068.thumb.JPG.b854de8a44b6ae16b23795a6f0afeb91.JPG

So many routes were re-opened that day! Tracks leading to/from many of the more technical South Side routes:

IMG_1080.thumb.JPG.9f5916ac3bc7640dd22dd5f7ac0edf53.JPG

Trying to take advantage of what looks like a solid weather window saturday and sunday.  Any advice for a first timer on the Hogsback and conditions to expect?  Thanks all!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jk7 said:

Trying to take advantage of what looks like a solid weather window saturday and sunday.  Any advice for a first timer on the Hogsback and conditions to expect?  Thanks all!

Here’s a pic from a sun break on the Palmer webcam today. After the long storm it looks well covered up there.  Probably no open bergshrund concerns. 

With the sun breaks and some more freeze thaw, hopefully the snow will be well consolidated. Sunday’s weather forecast and the lower freezing level look lovely for climbing.

A second tool is recommended for beginners, or for the surprise icy section. Have fun!

F8910E73-C3B9-4F23-8710-EF67FB05BDDD.jpeg

Edited by Nolan E Arson

Posted (edited)

Looking hit Summit on 5/5/2019. Anyone else thinking of summitting?

Thanks,

Edited by Valisha

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if there's lockers a person can rent near/around the Timberline Lodge.  I'm thinking about riding my motorcycle down from Vancouver Island this weekend for a quick blast up the standard route and need a place to safely store my helmet/riding gear.  Thanks.

Edited by Bigtree
Corrected typo.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, Bigtree said:

Does anyone know if there's lockers a person can rent near/around the Timberline Lodge.  I'm thinking about riding my motorcycle down from Vancouver Island this weekend for a quick blast up the standard route and need a place to safely store my helmet/riding gear.  Thanks.

Bring a duffle and bag check it at Timberline Lodge.

We climbed up the south side and down and around to check out the Elliot Headwall.  The N. Side still looks like it needs one more dusting of snow to hold things together and some colder temps.  

F418599B-97FB-4E88-BADB-911EEA6BFAF1.jpeg