• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey Fred"

"WHAT?"

"Hey FRED!!!!"

"Yeah, huh, what, huh?"

"FRED SOME DUMBASS WANTS TO NAME A PEAK AFTER YOU WHEN YOU"RE DEAD! HE WANTS TO CALL BEAR MOUNTAIN MOUNT FRED BECKEY"

"What?"

repeat 2 or 3 more times then write it on a napkin...

"What the fuck... some bureaucrat with time on his hands, huh. Like they tried to rename Castle Eisenhower. No way, Dad"

Mt. Beckey, named for Fred Becky (sic), is located in the Alaskan Range at North 62 degrees, 52 minutes, West 152 degrees, 15 minutes.

I think having a "Mt. Beckey" in the Cascades is a great idea and has been on the minds of many folks around here for a long time. Because of his history with it, and the fact that Fred has been heard to say that it is his "favorite peak in the Cascades", Forbidden Peak would be a great choice, but "Forbidden Peak" is a pretty cool name, so I wouldn't want that one to be changed. I don't think Fred would either, since he named it.

. Not sure who regulates peak names in Antarctica but I would guess that the USGS Board was involved.

Fred ain't OK in the Antarctic

I do believe "Rad," that I was the only person with legitimate ideas and concerns.

No, Ben pointed out that Fred is still alive. Nevertheless, your goodie goodie two shoes merit badge is in the mail

So here's a different question: if you were asked to assemble a committee to make this decision who would you nominate

How about the US Board of Geographic Names? Or the Washington Board of Gepgraphic Names, of which Fred is a former advisor? I would think that his many friends there will do a fine job without us.

I meant no disrespect in my first post.... I totally agree Rad. Great idea.

Layton was WAY out of line though, yelrotflmao.gif

I dunno dude, I read your post and got pretty upset. I contacted my local moderators.

Anyone see Roper sneek a post in there somehow?

Said that Fred's gotta be dead for 5 years.

Concidering he's not human, who knows when that'll be. Maybe Rad should give him a "loose" belay to speed up this process.

Mark, you really need to pull your head out of your chalk bag. Your posts are nothing more than loathsome sophomoric drool. Most intelligent people would understand that the point of my post was not to nominate a peak out of the US let alone Antarctica but to show that other countries do things different than the US. Although many people think the US is the center of the world - it aint. So open your mind your a$$ will follow.

BTW I do not need any named peaks. There are already two that use my name - one in BC and one in Anarctica. But thanks for the offer.

Now back on the subject. Several years ago I talked to Fred about what peak was probably his favorite. And contrary to most it is not a peak the USA. Certainly a green card peak though.

Naming a Mountain after a human has to be one of the most pretentious and hubristic acts on earth. And the idea of renaming a peak after Fred Beckey ? Give me a fuckin' break.

WTF? Rainier, McKinley, Adams, Baker, etc. are all named after people- usually to kiss the named person's posterior. At least Beckey climbed mountains...