What's so great about PNW climbing?

chucK

The responses to another thread got me thinking.

It seems there must be some essence of what makes PNW climbing great, if people feel that some climbs aren't what makes it great.

What is that essence? What are the qualities indicative of climbing in the PNW that you really appreciate?

Or if you want to be more concrete ... say you are acting as climbing tourguide for an out of state friend or anonymous internet hookup; where would you take that person to show of our great state/region? Lists would be cool. Reasons for your choices even better.

Finally, since negativity is what often seems to get the posting juices flowing around here, what climbs would you specifically discourage, and why?

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've taken alot of brand new climbers out to Pete's Pile because; its close to P-town, its raw, the camping is nice, the climbers are faily moderate, its trad...which newbies seem to get stoked on watching...

I haven't been to Horsetheif or French's Dome so I don't know....

1. Variety. You can climb glaciers, alpine ice, some big walls, alpine rock, volcanoes, world class trad cragging (Index), and winter desert cragging, plus winter mountaineering and bachcountry skiing. Neither Colorado or California can offer all that.

2. Scenery. Go do some routes in the Pickets then go hike a couple Colorado or California 14ers. There is NO comparison. I love the change in scenery avaialable from the North Cascades to the Olypics to the Pasayten.

WA is like a small, accessible, less-snowy, not as dramatic version of AK. We have glaciers. Specifically, we have maritime glaciers (glaciers plus nice forests). CO & CA have rocky peaks and nice forests, but they don't have glaciers or peaks/forests/glaciers together.

This is what passes for a glacier in Colorado:

stmary_05.jpg

rolleyes.gif

We also have decent/good cragging, alpine rock climbing, a little bit of water ice, alpine ice, some backcountry skiing, etc, but other places in the contiguous US beat the shit out of WA in those categories.

To sum up, we have this:

575682-Inspiration.jpg

575682-Inspiration.jpg.803103bc88d98d254033ec258efcffaf.jpg

For sure, the views and the relative remoteness that lie so close to Seattle are big components for me. For a sample of Washington rock climbing, I'd take them here and to Washington Pass, for starters:

IMG_1012Sm.jpg

For skiing, I took my brother and nephews to Pemberton for similar reasons:

dianaslalok.JPG

And for mountain climbing? I might want to go a little further afield:

homebug.jpg

Though, closer to home, there is a cool, easy ice climb in the middle of a moderate route on Mount Baker:

belaclif.jpg

All of these places have good rock or good snow or whatever, and magnificant scenery -- all in a location that isn't hard to get to but has a feeling of remoteness to it.

Mount Rainier in itself is unique in the lower 48. Compared to Colorado's 14Kers Rainier has 12,500 ft of elevation gain form the surrounding valleys vs. 5-6K. And the alpine starts at 5K elevation or so. Can't be equaled in CA or CO.

What's the relief of Mt. Shasta?

I think that there are a number of mountain ranges that could beat the Cascades hands down at any aspect of climbing.

Colorado has better and a lot more rock. The Canadian Rockies have (or had cry.gif) better alpine ice and still have world class winter ice.

What the PNW has is mountains that feel like a classic alpine environment that are within a reasonable distance of a major population center full of employment opportunities that are better than working for shit pay in a resort town.

Also climbing here can be an adventure (bushwack) right from the car, which in my opinion adds to the alure of the Cascades.