Road to Darrington Washed out in Mud Slide, 3 Dead

OlympicMtnBoy

Just got home and saw this, I know a lot of us have driven that road (Hwy 530) to Darrington many times. Condolances to the family members and best wishes for the still missing:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023201818_mudslidexml.html http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023201818_mudslidexml.html

3 die in mudslide east of Arlington, 6 homes destroyed

Mud slammed Saturday into homes near the Snohomish County town of Oso and cascaded over state Highway 530, into the Stillaguamish River, which is backed up by debris.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit! Hope Hanman and family are ok.

Ditto.

I bet Chief Dennis Fenstermaker of Darrington FD is busy too. Denny is a old time climber with a number of FA's, including the Zipper at Index. He is also a SFD firefighter and head of the High Angle rescue for SFD.

Hi all- We saw many choppers in the air all of the sudden, didn't realize what had happened. Power, phone and internet all went out. I looked out at the Stilly which is only about 300 feet away from our home, and the river had dropped to the lowest condition I have ever seen in an hour long period. I figured something like this happened, so we got out with the fam and pets in about 5 minutes. It just seemed really surreal. I'm really sorry for all the affected community, there are only 320 or so residents in Oso proper, so everyone has a stake or close friend impacted.The toll on the responders was quite evident as we drove through to get a few things from the house yesterday. They have performed quite a difficult and painful task and continue to do so at considerable risk.

Thanks all for the good wishes-

Mark Hanna

Dru is right on this one, they just updated it. However,I expect it to be revised downwards significantly once a few more days go by. Still, many folks we've worked with over the years on Steelhead Drive are no longer with us....the scale of this most recent slide is hard to comprehend. So much bigger than 2006.

I've worked as a fish bio on the Stilly for the past 14 years and this is as bad of an event as I'm likely to see in my career.

The LiDAR for the Hazel reach is sobering. In the last several thousand years there have been several slides larger than the one that we just witnessed. Dru nailed the geology, something that plagues the NF in several reaches. Think of it as a combination of of moraine and lake sediments from when the Puget Lobe blocked the NF valley mouth.

The thing that is interesting to me is that, contrary to what the ST reported, the river was not actively cutting at the toe of the slide. We built a several thousand foot log revetment to keep the river away from the toe of the slide after the 2006 event. It was performing as designed and the material behind the crib wall (extending up to the old head scarp) was very low angle and not in danger of failing. This slide originated much higher (a couple hundred feet above the old head scarp) and overran the old debris, going very much farther than I had expected. Amazing.

Jumbo Mountain was probably a failure in the melange bedrock, which the scoured wet debris and the glacial veneer as it flowed downhill. It could have also originated as a relatively small slump in a sedimentary veneer up high.

Jumbo Mountain landslide - 2/25/2002

Hazel/Oso is a huge classic slump

Edited by num1mc

As Mr. mc said, they are very different. To my eye the Jumbo slide started with a chunk of cliff peeling off and impacting the slope below, causing a shallow rapid slide of mostly coarse material. The Steelhead Haven slide of 2014 is a classic deep seated rotational failure as described above.