I'm a nicer person now that I'm sick

DPS

I'm sick. Sometimes really sick. I spent 3 months last summer in the hospital. I am on a large regemin of drugs to keep me upright, one of which as a side effect causes weakening of the tendons. Because of this I am not able to run.

So instead of running I have been walking and biking for exercise. On my walks I now have time to say hello to everyone I meet and sometimes learn their stories. I make it a point to greet everyone I meet with a hearty "howdy" or "good morning". I like to mix it up.

Not everyone appreciates being greeted while hiking, but I think doing so makes me a happier person. In fact, I now fancy myself an ambassador of sorts. If you run into a middle aged guy who seems oddly friendly, say hi back. It makes me happy.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, often a "howdy" or "good morning" = "wow! ain't it cool that we both had the same idea at the same time to get out here in this beautiful place..." I like to believe that's what is behind it anyhow.

sorry about it DPS, I'll remember to say "hi" though for sure

Dan, you were a pretty swell guy before all this, so you must be Mr. fucking rogers, now. :tup:

You should bring along an extra pair of shoes, so you can sit down and change them while chatting people up.

Damn...Looks like you have a good b/c ski partner for next year Rob :poke:

Dan,

I once met you after climbing the Stuart Glacier Couloir. I don't really know why I decided to post this short very personal story, but for some reason I have. Our problems all make us better people. I once wrote this short piece when I was in one of my downer pissed off moods and its probably a little to deep and such for all the hardmen on here, but it ment something to me at the time. Hopefully I wont regrett it. If nothing else, diseases suck, I know. Keep doing what makes you happy I guess, but you probably already know that.

PS: My partner for SGC has lyme diessease and still gets out plenty.

-Craig

At age 22, I know all about shit. When I say the word “shit,” I mean the brown disgusting stuff that all creatures synthesis. In a completely literal sense, I’m all too familiar it. So when I read Adam French’s Ishinca Toilet Project, it sparked my interest for a number of reasons. The first being that I share a very intimate relationship with shit, a relationship that goes back two years ago and one which most others are fortunate enough not to have. Other reasons for my interest in the project are that I visited and climbed in the Ishinca valley in 2007; I want to be a good person and make a difference in the world, but don’t exactly know how; and lastly I want to travel and climb for myself, but again don’t know where, what, or how. Before my letter is crumpled up and thrown in the trash, as thus far I must sound like a lunatic, I will attempt to explain.

In early 2004 at age eighteen I had high ambitions and two things which all climbers have; dreams and role models. From 2004 through 2006 I successful completed 86 trips into the mountains of Washington, both standard and technical routes. But in early 2006 my dreams came crashing to a halt when I was diagnosed with an incurable digestive disease called ulcerative colitis. I thought my climbing career was over and crazy thoughts tended to fill my mind. How much longer will I be able to climb?, Should I bother buying any more climbing equipment?, Will any girl ever find me attractive?

I’ve always looked through Fred Beckey’s Alpine Guides and dreamed about Pete Doorish’s accomplishments. To me he has done many of Washington’s most remote, difficult, and boldest ascents. (Now if only climbers new of his sailing adventures, like when he spent 2 months at sea in a homemade 17 foot open sailboat trying to row to Hawaii. ) So when I wrote a letter to the man asking for some route information on the rarely visited Toketie Wall and he phone called me back saying, “Hey what up Craig?, let’s just go climbing.” I pounced on the offer.

While rope-gunning my alpine hero up the last pitch of a beautiful and unclimbed face on Orange Tower in the Enchantment Wilderness, my symptoms struck. Before I knew it I had shit running down my leg, on to the rope, through our gear, and onto the wall itself. I finished the difficult pitch clean and topped out, completing our new route. But while belaying Pete up the pitch, unknowing of my disease, I broke down into tears. When he topped out I sat there sobbing. And there I was in front of my alpine hero with shitty pants and tears rolling down my face, so embraced I couldn’t speak for nearly five minutes. When I finally came to and told him of my condition and of what had happened he looked at me with a little grin and said, “Oh, don’t worry man, that colitis is a bitch, my niece has that too…” And then he commented on the pitch I lead and said, “That was an incredible lead, you might make it someday in climbing.” Whatever that meant, I don’t know, but it suddenly gave me hope to climb. It was an incredible complement from such a climber. I knew Pete meant every word of what he said because he continued to climb with me for a week as we put up more routes, me shitting my pants again on each route.

Last year when my friend asked me if I wanted to travel to Peru to climb in the Cordillera Blanca, I was hesitant because of my issues. But, I remembered the above incident and worked my tail off to save up just enough money to pay for me and my now fiancé to go. We had an amazing time. Together my fiance and I climbed Vallunaraju, Urus Este, and Yanapaccha. I soled Ishinca in seven hours from Huaraz. And a friend and I climbed the West Face of Tocllaraju. My partners at one point or another all got sick and shit their pants, but not once did I shit mine. Instead I used the toilet that Adam French installed.

Tits up Craig. I mean all of us have been scared shitless in the mountains one time or another, but you took it to a new level. I'm impressed you kept your composure and finished the climb. I have a friend who has colitis and it is not something you can truly get a grasp on.

And Mr DPS, whenever I'm on the trail and somebody doesn't acknowledge the greeting or good will behind it, I decide that person just isn't worth getting upset about. Some people just possess grumpy dispositions and if being out in beautiful areas or recreating can't shake them free of that, then well, they're always going to be grumpy.

Dan, you were a pretty swell guy before all this, so you must be Mr. fucking rogers, now. :tup:

You should bring along an extra pair of shoes, so you can sit down and change them while chatting people up.

Damn...Looks like you have a good b/c ski partner for next year Rob :poke:

What do you mean "next year?" I've skied at least once every month this year, bish!

Dan's a tough guy. Even loaded up on drugs and with weak tendons, I bet he's still stronger than me.

I remember last winter, slowshoeing up to Colchuck, trying to catch up with him just so I could do my fair share of trail breaking.

Edited by rob

DPS, I've only met you once but appreciate your positive energy and good attitude. I believe that we get what we give, and if you give smiles and kind words and good conversation you should should be repaid with the same...at least from me and many here.

Maybe another lesson you can help modern society learn is that good things can come to those who SLOOOOW DOOOOWN!!!!

Don't worry Ivan, you're already immortal on the CC interweb!