Climbing all the Selects?

Blake

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know tick lists are dumb and my buddies like to tease me about it but I've done 52 of the 77 in the first Nelson Selected Climbs Guide. And 4 more that were added to the reprint for a grand total of 56. I' have to check but I beleive I've done every single cragging route in volume 2 and many of the alpine routes.

I am right on your tail now Jensy with 47 of the original. There is definatly a race for this thing.Starting with the 1st edition then 2d the vol 2 etc . I think tick lists are good motivation . The down side is all the volcano slogs.I have 3 routes to do do on Adams :anger:

I climbed 38 of the routes from Volume 1, and descended a few more, mostly before the book came out. Of those in Volume 2, I've climbed 12 of the mountain routes, with one or two more descended. They listed most of the "classics" in volume 1, and scratched a little deeper or reported newer routes and filled it out with crag climbs for volume 2. What'll they come up with for volume 3? There are a lot of excellent new crag climbs, but how about mountain routes? What are some true classics that have been omitted (or potential classics)?

For an easy one, Whitechuck via the standard route is a good non-climb, and for something a little more challenging, the Bertulis route on Nooksak Tower is pretty cool. What else?

And didn't one of the dome peak area climbs get wiped out with rock fall?

The Skoog/Brill on the east side of the Gunsight range is gone, but the adjacent climb put up by Sol (Frosty_The_Tradman) last summer would make a worthy replacement.

In Select 1 first edition I'm short 5... in Select 1 2nd edition I'm short 7.

Though it would be cool to do them all it isn't a goal of mine so I don't expect to be done anytime soon... one I'm missing is the DC on Rainier and it would take some serious blackmailing to get me to set foot on that route... That and I have seen what Idaho has to offer as far as climbing :laf:

Jens: it took me 4 years and 4 attempts to climb the west face of the north peak of gunsight... I hope you have much better luck than I did in order to get it done in time to meet your goal.

Here's to anyone getting out as much as possible to climb anything... selected or unselected :brew:

I've got 43 of the original guide's routes and many of those in the reprint though I dont know that exact count, but kind of lost interest in ticking them all off a few years ago. Evenso I manage a few more every year.

More interesting question would be how many ticks folks have made in Dougherty's guide. Thats a pretty low count for me.

I'm with you, Dru, to the extent that I have greater respect for the bragging rights of those who climb new routes and I actually consider a listing in a "classic" or "select" guide as a negative. I generally award a couple of extra plus points to a route that is "not recommended" and even more to one that is completely "unknown" if it turns out to actually be a good route and I think there are lots of these out there. However, it is true that the authors of the Select or Classic guidebooks, just as those who have assigned the stars in a cragging guide, have mostly made good choices.

In my opinion, these tick lists are as good a measure or motivator as any other. Somebody who wants to climb "all the routes listed in Nelson/Potterfield's Volume I," or "the hundred highest" is just as respectible as one who wants to climb "a new route in every major sub-range" or "as much as possible within a day's drive," or whatever.

I think one of the down sides of the selects is it sigfigantly harder to talk someone into climbing something not in one of the guidebooks. Or at least the people I climb with because we are all gubbers, unless its a FA or FWA then it could be choss and some folks we still be down.

I haven't been climbing as long as some of you folks, but I have done 35 routes of all difficulties in Nelsons 1st select in the 4 years I have been climbing. Not to bad.

Finish your lists. Looks like I’m tied with John for Vol. I, but Andreas may have more. The Cascades have so many peaks many cool lists are possible, all good. When a few of you finish this one I’d like to organize a nice party. Variety was our thing with this one, and a desire to have some Cascade climbing pictures published. As a chronic repeater I know how difficult it is to finish any list. You find a climb you like and you just want to keep going back. Maybe the important thing is to do a lot of climbs. No, I’m sure the important thing is to complete as many lists as possible. Extra credit for speed ascents, summit bivy’s, ski descents, multi day brush affairs, fastest completion of lists, first person from Oregon, etc.