Most ATTEMPTS

AllYouCanEat

I'm not sure if this has been done, but it may be interesting. What is the mountain that you have attempted the most?

Now these aren't always the most difficult. I once met a guy who turned around for the 7th time on Shuksan. It took me 4 tries before I got it right! After that first one, I tagged the summit the next 4 out of 6.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it matter if a success followed all of those failures?

Most failures before a successful ascent: 5 --> Mt. Index (main peak); 3 --> Cashmere Mountain; 2 --> Jack Mountain, Lennox Mountain, Lundin Peak

Most failures without a successful ascent*: 3 --> Malachite Peak; 2 --> Elephant Butte, Kyes Peak, Gunn Peak, Mt. Stickney, Whitehorse Mountain, Mt. Curtis Gilbert; 1 --> numerous (probably around 40 total)

* not leaving the trailhead/car does not count here for me

4 attempts on S Face Prussik.

1st - partners wimped out on sight of the peak

2nd - rain

3rd - rain

4th - lightning on 4th pitch -- rappelled off

Not sure if I'll try again or not!

My wife has attempted to climb Forbidden Peak I think 3 times, and gotten sick, been weathered off, or failed to get the requisite permit and changed plans.

Mt Robson for me with 4 attempts.

1st: Kane face spent 1.5 days in a tent while 2.5' of freshiez accumulated.

2nd: N Face, got to the shrund at midnight and we were wallowing in crotch deep slush plus as soon as the sun hit the face it started avalanching.

3rd: Drove to the parking lot and didn't like it...no sir.

4th Wishbone arete, we bivied somewhere on the route and woke up to rain and a nice static hum as we rapped.

5th Climbed the Wishbone thumbs_up.gif

These are the one's i still haven't climbed for reasons beyond the control of man or god:

4 on Colonial Pk N.F.

3 on NY Gulley

3 on baker NR

3 on colfax ice route

3 on staurt glacier couloir

4 on crestone needle

5 on ham and eggs

2 on eldorado nw face couloir

3 on the ribbon

2 on Ashlu

4 on Vienesse NF

2 on cardinal pinnacle

2 on rideout

4 on price glacier/nooksack tower

3 on hyperspace

3 on hood/i-rock

2 on sloan w.face

I've fail on a WHOLE lot more shit than that, but i just listed one's i've either failed multiple times. I didn't list shit i've finally gotten up...like backbone ridge took 3 attempts but with success finally.

this winter i attempted 7 alpine climbs 7 weekends in a row with much driving and slogging without any success.

i'm good at failing...but i get up lots of shit too. it's all about the short term memory, persistance, and will of the gods. Skill has LITTLE to do with it.

NAh, the hardest thing about alpine climbing is getting up early.

I agree completely. It also allows the most successful ascent of whatever you are doing.

The earlier you are there, the more time you allowed to screw up on a route, and spend time in deep snow conditions.

Whitehorse, as I recall, is one peak with an awful lot of unsuccessful attempts. I'd have to say that I have never had more than one failure on anything. The only unfinished business I have at present is Triumph and Liberty Ridge. I think I need to aim for a higher mark. I am not failing enough.

Whitehorse, as I recall, is one peak with an awful lot of unsuccessful attempts. I'd have to say that I have never had more than one failure on anything. The only unfinished business I have at present is Triumph and Liberty Ridge. I think I need to aim for a higher mark. I am not failing enough.

You got up Johannesburg?

I think I tried N Ridge of Stuart "4 times" before I got up it. I always went up there way late season after it started raining elsewhere, thinking I could "get away with it" since the Stuart Range is typically drier than the West side. It was total noobville.

I also tried Rainier a few times before I finally summitted.

I am really bad though, if I don't get up something my first try I typically just go do something else, I'm not one who has a short list of stuff that I absolutely have to get done before I change focus. That, and sometimes it takes a while for me to forget how much work some of these objectives are. Thankfully my memory is pretty short.

I've been super lucky!

2 attempts at the Brother's Traverse - at least I have tagged both summits now. :-)

2 Winter Rainier Attempts - My spring climb of Fuher Finger went off without a hitch

2 Winter Tooth Attempts - too much snow, too much wallowing

2 Winter Chair Peak Attempts - would have made it the second time if we had been a party of two. It was great ice that year.

Otherwise, I have been successful on almost all my climbs.

I'm like Alex - I've failed on a lot of things once, never to go back again... or else failed only once, and then succeeded (on my admittedly modest objectives)

3 attempts on Chair Pk, w/o success

2 attempts on Maude in winter, before succeeding

2 attempts on Vesper N face before succeeding

2 attempts on Jack, w/o success

2 attempts on Shuksan, w/o success (3 if you count never leaving the trailhead as an attempt)

2 attempts on Forbidden Pk before succeeding