Most ATTEMPTS

AllYouCanEat

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitehorse, as I recall, is one peak with an awful lot of unsuccessful attempts. I'd have to say that I have never had more than one failure on anything. The only unfinished business I have at present is Triumph and Liberty Ridge. I think I need to aim for a higher mark. I am not failing enough.

You got up Johannesburg?

Dude, you have a better memory than I do. Indeed, that was a failure, but I don't think of it that way, because I learned a ton on that attempt.

3 Attempts on Rainier - No summit Yet

3 Attempts on Chair Peak - No summit Yet

3 Winter attemps on Colchuck Peak - No Summit Yet

2 Attempts on Mt. Robson - No Summit yet

And a bunch of unsuccessful first tries.

Hey Chris -

Ropegun THE TOOTH for me and I'll belay you up Rainier.

These are the one's i still haven't climbed for reasons beyond the control of man or god:

5 on ham and eggs

Does this mean 5 separate flights up the glacier, or 5 tries once on the glacier?

I was camped on the lower ruth, below dickey, so i approached it 5 times. This was before you could fly in directly

I have only summitted once on three trips to Welch Peak. Truly, I am so suck cry.gif

In general, failure on a peak either indicates a willingness to attempt things in marginal conditions, or a low skill level.

Let's say, though, that you go in to attempt an unclimbed route and climb an easier, already climbed line instead for some reason. Does that count as "failure" or "success"?

Conversely, you try and climb an established route but get off route and inadvertently establish a new route. Did you "succeed" in climbing a new route or "fail" to climb an existing route?

In general, failure on a peak either indicates a willingness to attempt things in marginal conditions, or a low skill level.

Hmm. I don't know about that. That doesn't really take into account objective hazards, that send you home, that happen on climbs in "good conditions".

Let's say, though, that you go in to attempt an unclimbed route and climb an easier, already climbed line instead for some reason. Does that count as "failure" or "success"?
Yeah, probably failure. Or, as a copout, a "diversion"?

Conversely, you try and climb an established route but get off route and inadvertently establish a new route. Did you "succeed" in climbing a new route or "fail" to climb an existing route?

Probably succeed. If you struggled into the unknown with the skills you have, and deal with obstacles necessary (even though unplanned), fair is fair, and you did the route.

Oh, and to stay on topic, Baker was the difficult one to get, for me. Well, I could've done the C.D. route and tagged it, but I didn't want to do it that way. 3 failures on the North Ridge, and one failure on Coleman HW. Finally, success this year bigdrink.gif

my pattern seems to be that i will often give things a second chance, but if i fail twice on a route (particularly one with a long and tedious approach), that's usually it for me. it's not so much that i lose interest, i just get more interested in somthing else. i can't off the top of my head think of a route that i've failed on more than two times. not stubborn enough, i guess. not enough free time, either, to beat my head against the same wall weekend after weekend.

it often seems MUCH easier the second time attempting something because you have the approach dialed, the timetable determined, the logistics figured out, but the curve seems to plateau after that. i'm also patient enough that i *usually* will change objectives beforehand or even at the trailhead rather than go for something hard in obviously marginal conditions.

Hmm. I don't know about that. That doesn't really take into account objective hazards, that send you home, that happen on climbs in "good conditions".

objective hazards = marginal conditions. there will always be another time with lower hazards. seracs, rockfall, forest fires, wet cracks whatever.

Janez should pipe in on Grand Cappucino, even I got sick of him trying for that one, and I heard he flew back for another try, math guys can bash their head for a while I geuss, maybe thats why their good at math wave.gif

I think I tried for Samson N face 3 times, never got more than hour from the truck, now that the bridge is gone I geuss I could get more than hour from the truck, not going back for that one, Samson wins

Whitehorse, as I recall, is one peak with an awful lot of unsuccessful attempts. I'd have to say that I have never had more than one failure on anything. The only unfinished business I have at present is Triumph and Liberty Ridge. I think I need to aim for a higher mark. I am not failing enough.

I think I've failed on Whitehorse six times (not including once when I got to the trailhead and discovered I'd left my boots at home!) The combination of the low trailhead to suck you in, really heinous schwacking, and a much higher climb than you expect. Still haven't been to the summit.

confused.gif

objective hazards = marginal conditions. there will always be another time with lower hazards. seracs, rockfall, forest fires, wet cracks whatever.

Ok, let me back up here. Are we speaking of "failure" as in " simply not getting to the summit as a whole"? Or are we talking about the failure that one can do something about, but couldn't or didn't do?

I wasn't successful on Shasta until my 5th try encompassing over 20 years. I eventually decided that one-day winter ascents of Seargents Ridge in 70mph winds held little hope for me and the 9 hour (one way!) drive required me to make a more concerted effort. Finally climbed it via Avalanche Gulch as a two-day a couple years ago on a relaxing, sunny, windless, and warm June weekend.

Also; I presently have summitted Rainier 15 times, but I am 0-for-three in winter.