Fire closure in the Enchantments!

kurthicks

http://inciweb.org/incident/article/3258/17437/

"The other closure area includes Eightmile Road, Colchuck, Stuart, Eightmile, Caroline, and Trout lakes, and the Windy Pass portion of the Enchantment area in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness due to a fire burning [near Mt. Cashmere]. Many Enchantment area overnight camping permits are cancelled. However, the Enchantment Basin itself remains open at this time with access via Snow Creek Trail. Please call the Wenatchee River Ranger Station for more information on which permits are cancelled."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This fire appears to have started up near Eightmile or Caroline Lake. Hard to imagine it was started by lightening down in a hole like that, seems more likely by a careless camper but who knows. From the vista of Edwards Mesa, we watched it roar across the hillside on Saturday, and were concerned about it reaching the road down in the canyon and closing the road. Sure enough yesterday a helicopter landed in the upper Enchantments and 4 rangers got off, and begin closing off Asgard Pass and Colchuck Lake and evacuating everyone. They are throwing a tremendous amount of fire suppression by air at it, lots of fire planes and choppers going in and out, this fire has the potential to spread down the Icicle if the wind comes up, so they appear to be trying to gain the upper hand. Here's hoping they do.

Was over there Friday. Pretty grim from LTown to Chelan and especially bad around Cashmere - Wenathchee. Was decent up around the Chewawa River area though we did see a new fire near a ridge where we were on single track. Made for motivation for me to improve my lame downhill technique.

Does anyone have an update on the conditions in L'town? Was looking to head that way on Saturday for some cragging/bouldering in icicle and tumwater. I don't think any of that is closed but is the smoke pretty bad or anything?

The smoke is terrible, the particulate count hazardous. I'd recommend you wait until next July to climb in Leavenworth again. If you are in the Seattle area, please tell all your climbing friends the bad news as well.

Does anyone have an update on the conditions in L'town? Was looking to head that way on Saturday for some cragging/bouldering in icicle and tumwater. I don't think any of that is closed but is the smoke pretty bad or anything?

The smoke is terrible, the particulate count hazardous. I'd recommend you wait until next July to climb in Leavenworth again. If you are in the Seattle area, please tell all your climbing friends the bad news as well.

Haha I should have known this is the response I would get. I understand us city slickers are not welcome :cool:

Haha I should have known this is the response I would get. I understand us city slickers are not welcome :cool:

No, don't get me wrong. Seattle climbers are great! I'm just trying to save you a wasted trip over here, considering the high cost gas these days.

My sister in law just came over for a few days because of the smoke. Seriously, don't head east!!

She said she could see the house across the street, but nothing else. As in 100' away.

Telemarker isn't exaggerating, you need to wear a respirator when out of doors it seems.

Not that I'm the arbeiter of these standards or anything but as far as I'm concerned climbers, skiiers, boaters, etc are always welcome in Der town. Its the fat tourons with their dumb rv's that get old.

The smoke isn't all that bad in 11worth, it's way worse down valley where Jon lives in Cashmere and Wetsnachee. However, its bad enough that I'd recommend climbing on the westside instead this weekend.

We posted up the air quality telemetry today. The graph seems a little subjective, as localized pockets get better and worse as the day progresses, mostly worse.

The link at the bottom of the article is the updated info. From a personal perspective this is a total disaster,our favorite time of year is toast. The news is saying the fires will not be out before winter.

Icicle TV air quality article

fires.jpg

Sounds like they are moving the fire base from Fromms field to Fish Lake because the pilots could not see the landing area.