Exit 38 bandit

LUCKY

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you cats just chip in for a few twelve packs, and send Greg "tons o' guns" W. up there with some of his cannons; stake him out in the bushes in his fatigues and let him take care of the problem?

[rockband]

tons o' guns

everybody gettin' strapped

tons o' guns

betta watch the way ya act

tons o' guns

real easy to get

tons o' guns

bringin' nothin' but death

Erik is right. I'm not professing to be an expert here but when I leave the house for a day in the bush I only bring my driver's lics., a gas card if necessary, and $20-30 cash for goodies and brew. It's nothing to stash this stuff in my pack or a zippered pocket somewhere. Hell, I even leave my amp. and sub at home and the stereo head pops out and into my pack (about 2 oz.) Point is to do your best to leave no valuables. Maybe if they prowl your rig once and see it's clean, they'll leave it alone in the future.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

actully ow i dont get excited about the potential violence surrounding it...

the one thing that gets me is the fact like trask said is the reppetive nature of the deal...

and i really hate the innocence/ignorance about the whole thing.....criminals are not exclusivly a city issue, they are everywhere...so to get yourt panties in a bunch over it without taking action(which it seems lucky has been) is like screaming at the wall.....

jurisdiction for that area...i believe is the states...wsp or wa park police....isnt there a park office right up there road??? why doesnt someone go down there and talk to them about it....???

posting signs and shit about the crimes is a good start....talk to the n bend police..i am sure this is a local person doing it...most criminals do not travel far for their deal(serial killers excluded) see if they have any similar repsonses to it...also speak to your credit card co's and dicuss the issue with their siu people....they feed off bullshit like this...they can track patterns and start an excellent work up, possibly involving federal officers....

they are many ways to go about it, it just needs to be done...

and lucky i do not know if they went thru my car nor do i care....i always take my wallet with me (especially there, thanks for telling us a couple years ago!) when i go to crags i only bring what i need...

This is a good point. Remember a couple years ago this shit was going on at the Red River Gorge. The pigs set up a steak out, with a barbecue and some nice tenderloin, couple of six packs ... wait, no, it was a stakeout. But anyway, they were chilling in their white van (not obvious at all) at the parking area, and they saw these suspicious characters who sure enough start swiping shit, and the cops watch the guys come over to their van, and slash the tires. [laf] Obviously you don't have to be too smart to break into cars. [Roll Eyes] Needless to say, that was the end of that little crime spree. Apparently, though, the three fuckers involved had been perpetrating this for quite some time, at a few different areas.

Still curious (really, I'm not a violent person): what if someone breaks into your home? What if you're living in your van and someone breaks in while you sleep? Obviously, you want this person to go away posthaste, but what if, in the course of convincing the perpetrator to go away, you land a solid blow to his head with your stick clip/horsecock/#4.5 Camalot?

I know these questions are a bit vague, and deciding what happens in such situations is what courts are for, etc., but I'm still curious. When does assault become self-defense? When you can prove that your life was threatened? Or merely when your personal safety is threatened?

If I saw two guys sneaking around my car with a knife, and I approached them to convince them to fuck off, would I not be justified if they threatened me and I tomahawked them with an ice tool? Do I have to be unarmed before they threaten me to be justified (say I grab my weapon from the passenger seat as they circle the car after me)? What if I were lying in wait (unarmed or not) because I knew there were car prowlers in the area?

I have taken to leaving my wallet at home when I go on climbing trips. I just take one credit card and my driver's license and I keep those on me. My car has the stock radio and I don't leave any valuables in it - I even ask my partners to finish up their packing at home instead of bringing all kinds of stuff to figure out whether we need it at the trailhead. It sucks being paranoid though.

quote:

Originally posted by LUCKY:

If you climbed at exit 38 after work 8/28 you car was probably car prowled

Credit card thief slim jims door, and the latest is he scans your card and makes a copie then emptys your account. Due to the fact that he locks your car back up and does not steel anything most people don't know they have been had . This has been going on for 7 years that I know of, the parking lot is a cash cow for these thiefs

Spread the word and keep a lookout

And bust the mutha up if you catch him
[Mad][Mad][Mad]

I was at exit 38 on said day. I also stupidly left my wallet in the car. I haven't had any unauthorized charges on my cards yet. To those this has happened too, when did you notice your credit cards numbers were being charged? Thanks for the info. I will pass it around to none cc.comers.

These guys could easily be caught without putting anyone into harms way. Confronting people like this with baseball bats is a stupid idea and I shouldn't have even said it. A couple bucks isn't worth getting you or someone else shot.

With a couple pairs of binoculars and radios/cell phones and some patience you could stake these guys out. Let them do their thing, try to catch it on tape or video with witnesses. and then have a few cars waiting to trail them. That's when you call the police and lead them to them.

so why not kill two birds with one stone? Lets have pub club at x38, or at least somewhere near x38 we can stake them out, tail them, and watch the cops bust them.

A couple of cases of coors lite, a few pairs of binocs, and a lot of testosterone will certainly solve this case....wait, this sounds pretty rednecked.....

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

These guys could easily be caught without putting anyone into harms way. Confronting people like this with baseball bats is a stupid idea and I shouldn't have even said it. A couple bucks isn't worth getting you or someone else shot.

With a couple pairs of binoculars and radios/cell phones and some patience you could stake these guys out. Let them do their thing, try to catch it on tape or video with witnesses. and then have a few cars waiting to trail them. That's when you call the police and lead them to them.

Oh you mean like I did calling the police on the cell giveing them there discription and the cars they are driving as I am still watching them doing the car

[ 09-20-2002, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: LUCKY ]

Lucky, I'm not doubting what you said here and I appreciate you bringing this to everyones attention, there's just something about what I'm hearing that doesn't sound right. Credit Card fraud is not a minor offense by no means, a federal felony I believe, and from the sounds of it this has been going on for several years. It sounds like that these guys are operating in a manner that very few of the "victoms" actually know that anything has happened. The fact that Lucky's car has been hit 3 out of 5 visits to me translates these guys are hitting a shit load of cars. Why would you hit the same car three times in two weeks!!!!????? Do they not remember because they are doing so many cars or are they hoping there will be cards they haven't copied before? Who knows, but ballsy none the less. I wonder how many cars they are hitting up the way at the Iron Horse parking lot?

So the other question is why haven't the cops done anything about it? I can make lots of assumptions here but my guess is they don't have the resources to deal with it or aren't aware of how often this is happening. One thing you can do is start stepping on toes, ask for the North Bend Station Chief, call the County Sherrif, the State Patrol, the FBI, find out who's territory it is and ask for an explanation why they aren't doing anything about it. If you aren't happy with their response and don't appear to doing anything about it, then you go to the news organizations and encourage them to do story on it. Chance are they would with something like this and would light a fire under the cops asses.

Hey Lucky hows it going? Long time no see in person. Thanks for that guidebook thing you got me. Used it a bunch. Look forward to running into you and Mary again. Perhaps we can climb some more fun stuff again soon.

Thanks for the heads up as always.

Climb on Lucky and crank it :-) YOu ever go to Squamish for a weekend? I want to invite you and Mary if I go in the next few weeks. Send me a message or email if you can. That is if weather cooperates. This summer has been fun adventures.

Jon I feel like I am hiting my head against a brick wall I post signs I get my tires slashed I call the police they put me on hold lie to me and tell me they will send some one out never happens they take my number and still nothing happens yes they do hit the twin falls iron horse trail head also when going to Amazonia a friend got had there I can not tell you why they would do my car over and over I also can not tell you why when your watching a car prowl the police will not respond

Just look at some of the climbers that have come out and relized they where hit there and most don't I have know frendships broken till they realized from me it was not there friend that riped there cards I have to let this go it's eating me up and if you knew me you would know i am not the type to let things go.I am just glad you have this site so at least it will make the climbers parking lot less profitable and they will stop or lighten up

[big Drink] to this board and all the posters that give up usefull beta

We need 38 to be a safe resource because for many of us it is quite simply the closest in terms of number of minutes from work to time to climb when you figure the drive, traffic, and hiking time. These factors override the rock quality.

How about some vigilante justice if you know what I mean? If it is happening up at the lot to the cave, they can be boxed in. If it is at the trestle area, it will require some creativity,

CC'ers can play any game they want. Many of us on this board are well schooled in every manner of aggression or use of "equpiment".

I heard about the fuzz busting some dudes for doing this in B.C. (the swiping the CC number thing without leaving a trace), and it turns out they were Russian mafia from Seattle -- no lie, this is what they said on TV (so it must be true [Roll Eyes] ).

But from what I hear this sounds like it's gotten bigger than even what the Russian mafia could put together; this is happening all over now and the perps are getting pretty brazen. Thanks for the tip, Lucky. Be careful out there.

FYI, my partner and I were hit a few years ago while climbing at World Wall I at Little Si. Our wallets were in our packs ON LAUNCH LEDGE near the bottom of Aborigine and someone rifled through when we were around the corner on Rainy Day. (This was before the new approach trail made access to WWI easier and more obvious.) They didn't take all the cards and I didn't realize anything was missing until I got a call from the bank that they'd charged $1500 on a credit card and tapped out my debit card. (Fortunately, a dude working at a car stereo place in Mt. Vernon thought something was fishy, refused to accept the credit card, and called it in.) Anyway, my point is you're not just safe taking your wallet with you; you can get ripped off at the crags, too!

[QB]I feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall I post signs I get my tires slashed I call the police they put me on hold lie to me and tell me they will send some one out never happens they take my number and still nothing happens

Almost hate to tell ya, but this is because THEY DON'T CARE. Had my wallet and checkbook stolen a few years ago... one of the checks that was written from the book (yes, actually hand written like in the old ages, used with my ID and everything) was to have A PIZZA DELIVERED TO THE THIEVES' HOME ADDRESS. I called the SPD to report it, they said, "huh, well, huh, well, huh, i guess the pizza place can file it as a fraudulent check."

Dude, they just have other incidents with which they're more concerned. Even if it's not the SPD, showing up at Ex38 parking to bust some ID fraud just isn't going to rate on-duty time. Sorry.