Exit 38 bandit

LUCKY

If you climbed at exit 38 after work 8/28 you car was probably car prowled

Credit card thief slim jims door, and the latest is he scans your card and makes a copie then emptys your account. Due to the fact that he locks your car back up and does not steel anything most people don't know they have been had . This has been going on for 7 years that I know of, the parking lot is a cash cow for these thiefs

Spread the word and keep a lookout

[Mad][Mad][Mad]

[ 09-21-2002, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: LUCKY ]

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so for the weekend I climbed at exit 38 sat my rig was went through by the credit card bandit sun I'm walking along the railroad grade and here a car alarm go off so I hike up to a vantage spot I know and watch these two dudes jacken cars so I call the police they tell me they will send the first availble officer out for a drive by, I tell them they should put a officer at the ends of the exit because I am watching what they are driving (small bright red two door car around 94 they all look alike )and a gray 84 to 87 ford ranger pickup with black strips on the side and give them a discription of what they are wearing, so then me and one of the owners of the car he is jacken and two other dudes I pick up run down to parking lot they are already gone should have never wasted time calling the police and guess what the police never send anyone by, now that was lame. The car they jacked they left the credit cards, now they scan them and make duplicates they locked his car back up and put everything back nice and neet so they can come back another day, damn I hate rip offs and its not like he is going to get a credit card scan from me but I am getting tired of him going through my rig I FEEL VIOLATED

This happened to me about 4 months ago. The police would not do anything as they said there was nothing stolen. My bank insured it, even though it was a debit card they used, but they used the cc numbers, and added their name on the fake CC.

They went to home depot and charged $1000 and got a gift certificate. I was able to cancel the gift cert before they could use it, but they also got my amex and were able to spend a large hunk of change at liquor stores and such.

I learned my lesson and always take my wallet with me, as this lesson cost me 2 weeks w/o cash and a total burden. Sorry if this has happened to anyone else, as I feel your pain. Those bastards need an ice screw through their ears! [HORSECOCK]

quote:

Originally posted by LUCKY:

what they are driving (small bright red two door car around 94 they all look alike )and a gray 84 to 87 ford ranger pickup with black strips on the side and give them a discription of

Good work in getting that info... hopefully we can get a little more info such as a license plate... sure the cops might do shit with it, but if we ever see a car with that plate parked there, we can make sure that it ain't leaving...

This sucks and all, but I'm surprised to hear that so many people would leave their wallets in the car. Why tempt fate?

Too bad they police blew it when they had the chance for your stellar witness account. [Mad] I've only climbed there a couple of times, but I'll be on the lookout.

What are they going to do with your registration? I've heard of them taking keys and identification from cars parked at wilderness trailheads and then going to rob your home because they figure you won't be home, but most people don't spend very long at exit 38, and they are likely to go there without their spouse or housemates, so I doubt this would be all that great of a method.

i got my car bust into in vancouver on monday night. stupid bastards took my arcteryx k30 full of webbing and unwashed clotrhes but left the cardboard box with 80 CDs in it alone cause i had a FRONT 242 CD on top and they musta known it has no resale value [Roll Eyes] except to Twight. they took my copy of Kiss Or Kill too [Mad][Mad][Mad]

but they did take my brand new Zamberlan Calanques, fuckers!

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

i was out there last wensdany.....no one went through my car....lucky enough i stopped drivin some classy shizz and roll in a piece of shizz....but like mtngrrrlll said take your wallet with you!!!

Are you sure? untill I started placeing trips in my car I did not know how often I was being went trough. A lot of my friend have been went through that drive hashed cars .They don't take anything they scan your cards put everything back nice and neat and lock the car back up. I know of friendships broken over this shit these guys are slick and pro's it's a credit card thieft ring .

Lucky, how often is your car being gone through? By trips I assume you mean some subtle means to determine if your door has been opened? I heard of this rip off scheme being used at trailheads around Tahoe, but this is the first I've heard of it up here. Its startlingly sophisticated as a theft system, a huge step up from the typical moron smash'n'grab motif.

Off white I have been car prowled three times out of five times that I have been to exit 38 in the last two weeks, a lot of the time they are hitting the after work crowd . This credit card theft ring has been hiting the area I would say it started 7 years ago and they have car prowled me every year since. On one occasion they slashed my tires for posting warning signs and that just pissed me off more, I was in quite a rage . Yes by trips I mean things you can do to tell if they have been in your car, Low Teck a little rock here a fold of your cloths there,I am not giving up all my trips. They have also been known to wait in the dark woods across the road and watch you put your stuff away. Just think of the credit card resource this lot has provided for them . I think the police are busy with a stakeout of the muir hut to be bothered with a credit card thieft ring.

If your car has been broken into so many times why don't you hide in the bushes with a baseball bat or if that's not your style a video camera. From the sounds of it these guys are out there everyday. Better yet, get covered up in your car and when they break in, break them. [Mad][Mad]

can i just say that this is so f***ed up i can hardly believe it? i never leave my wallet in the car, but the idea of someone breaking in and going through it is ... well ... icky. i had a similar thing happen to me once when i was parked at the bottom of snoqualmie falls. we didn't realize what had happened until we started looking for our sack lunches on the way home. our prized tuna fish sandwiches were gone from behind the front seat - along with the leather jackets we had put in the trunk. we felt so violated! i say keep working to get the word out to unsuspecting visitors. and thanks for letting us know!

C'mon Trask, this sort of thing could happen at any trailhead, this is just (just now!) becoming a known problem at this one. I was just parked at Stuart Lake TH for two days, did anyone prowl my van? Damned if I know. I did leave my wallet, but the only card in there was the one with a teeny credit limit that I use for internet and other purchases. I emptied everything else out of it because of my buddy's stories of this scam at trailheads down south. Yah, I know, carry your wallet, but I hate the thought of that thing in the top pocket on my pack while I'm fumbling around for something else inside on some dodgy little ledge.

The reason I reluctantly said anything is because Lucky mentions that his car has been busted into so many times. Shit man, "Get a clue" I say. It'd be righteous to rig a fucking claymore to your rod and waste the scum. Of course that's illegal, and I was just thinking out loud. I'd never do something like that myself.

[ 09-03-2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: trask ]

actully ow i dont get excited about the potential violence surrounding it...

the one thing that gets me is the fact like trask said is the reppetive nature of the deal...

and i really hate the innocence/ignorance about the whole thing.....criminals are not exclusivly a city issue, they are everywhere...so to get yourt panties in a bunch over it without taking action(which it seems lucky has been) is like screaming at the wall.....

jurisdiction for that area...i believe is the states...wsp or wa park police....isnt there a park office right up there road??? why doesnt someone go down there and talk to them about it....???

posting signs and shit about the crimes is a good start....talk to the n bend police..i am sure this is a local person doing it...most criminals do not travel far for their deal(serial killers excluded) see if they have any similar repsonses to it...also speak to your credit card co's and dicuss the issue with their siu people....they feed off bullshit like this...they can track patterns and start an excellent work up, possibly involving federal officers....

they are many ways to go about it, it just needs to be done...

and lucky i do not know if they went thru my car nor do i care....i always take my wallet with me (especially there, thanks for telling us a couple years ago!) when i go to crags i only bring what i need...