Multi pitch routes at Smith Rock

paramagic

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't done too many but the ones I have were fun.

Zebra to Zion 4p

Seconed pitch has one hard move, really fun climb.

Cinnamon Slab 2p

Fun and easy.

Cinnamon Toast to Cry Babies 2p

All bolts, easy and some good exposure.

Pack Animal Direct 2p

Great stemming first pitch, hand crack pulling bulges on the second.

Super Slab 3p

Another fun easy one.

Spiderman 3p

Another classic moderate.

There are lots more that I haven't done. Moscow & Peking are supposed to be fun. Always wanted to try Wherever I May Roam a 5p bolted route.

All of the ones that have been mentioned are great. I would add the Pioneer Face of Monkey Face as having one of the most spectacular postions in all of cragdom. The aiding is easy, there is a bolt ladder do don't let that deter you. In fact Gene Pires said he saw some Euro dudes French freeing the section with ice axe leashes attaches to carabiners.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

All good. Some others to look at: West Face Variation on the Monkey, anything else on the Monkey , Trezlar, Chimney De Chelly and the route to the left of it, Round River, Peking, Free Lunch, First Kiss, the other route dude did left of Asterisks pass on the back side, and Sky Ridge.

Opps, Kevino got Sky Ridge and he's right, White Satin is real sweet, plus there's an optional 10b that's as sweet of a bolted line you'll see in the middle if you want to pass on the crack. You can still access the awesome last crack to top out.

Edited by billcoe

Tale of Two Shitties has one good pitch...

Wherever I May Roam is many pitches of decent climbing, and all bolted too.

Crack of Infinity is a couple good pitches.

Honestly I realized recently that I have almost climbed all the well-traveled Smith trad and multipitch routes that I am capable of climbing.

I hear that the second pitch of Wartley's Revenge is pretty good...

voyage of the cow dog

the 2nd pitch is one of my favorite at smith. one of a kind, in an incredible setting. almost 360 views of the entire area.

the upper pitch is GREAT, the lower pitch is junk IMHO.

Also try the .10b/c multipitch left of White satin (its in the new watts guide) we just did that recently and greatly loved the exposure. It is basically Screaming Yellow Zonkers type nubbins but 3 ropelengths up.

All great recommendations for main area climbing--First Kiss wasn't mentioned and is worth the extra five minute romp passed the start of West Face variation. Spiderman is a classic. A quick word about Monkey Face: if you think you're a 5.11 climber because you've been up Hersey a few dozen times, expect to aid your way out of the west cave if you pass on the bolt ladder and free Monkey Space......I've been that guy.

The Marsupial have some worthwhile jaunts:

Thin Air.

Birds in a Rut.

Santiam Highway Ledges.

Cave Route.

Marsupial Traverse.

Last time I was at Spiderman some Canadians did it as a single pitch. I can't recall if they were using a 70m rope, but it would be a great long single pitch.

You don't need a 70m. I used to do it that way back in the 50m days.

Not without similclimbing. I simuled it with a 60 a couple of years ago. The leader was at the roof on the third pitch when I left the ground.

Wherever I May Roam (5 pitches up to 5.9) is super fun. It's not difficult or technical, just fun.

The Monkey Face is worth doing once just to say you did it. The West Face Variation is probably the best bet unless you climb super hard and want to tackle one of the 11's up it.