Your Climbing Heroes

wayne

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My climbing heros are those who put other more important things in the fore of their life. I used to have big name heros like all of you but then I realized they were all dead (some leaving their family behind).

This is a bunch of horseshit. "World Class Climbers" often die the same way your friend could die. Rappel errors (Todd Skinner), Avalanche (Anatoli Boukreev), Bad Pro (Göran Kropp) etc.

These world class climbers may have undertaken bold adventures, but in the end they died the same way any of us could. Being a weekend warrior doesn't make climbing any safer -- especially if you still "crank rediculously hard."

Just my $.02

This is a bunch of horseshit. "World Class Climbers" often die the same way your friend could die. Rappel errors (Todd Skinner), Avalanche (Anatoli Boukreev), Bad Pro (Göran Kropp) etc.

These world class climbers may have undertaken bold adventures, but in the end they died the same way any of us could. Being a weekend warrior doesn't make climbing any safer -- especially if you still "crank rediculously hard."

Just my $.02

Open mouth - insert foot.

:yoda:

I thought so too until I went and heard her speak. She was the biggest disapointment I have ever experienced at a climbing show. But she sure is one hell of a climber!!!

Why was she a disappointment? I know she has a laid back style of communicating and all. Were you expecting her to do jumping jacks?

Arch, where did you see Lynn Hill speak? I saw her up at B'ham about 3 or 4 years ago. I remember her speaking style wasn't very captivating... I wouldn't quite call it depressed, but definitely subdued. I didn't leave the show stoked the way I do after other shows I've been to. Again, that's nothing to knock on Lynn Hill's success and achievements... just disappointing that I didn't get the stoke I expected from the show.

That's the show she's talking about. It was like she had taken an extra half a Paxil, or something. She kept going on about how she "snuck" into Cuba, and her kid, and her 'life partner', blah, blah. I was like, "who fucking cares about your kid? Talk about freeing The Nose, for the love of Pete."

Not to denigrate the great climbers mentioned, but the climber I most admire is Fred Beckey. Not only is he an outstanding mountaineer, he is also a scholar, writer, and explorer who has dedicated his entire life to his pursuit. He is a seriously interesting personality.

Ya got your "Great climbers" and then ya got "great people" who climb. Not having any "heros", I've been lucky to climb or hang with some great and awesome folks, some of you who posted on this thread, some of those named on this thread, and many others on this board.

One not posting. Jim Opdycke, seen here following me last weekend at 64 years old.

Jim_following_at_crux.jpg

Picture by Ujahn Davisson: -also on my list of great people who climb but do not post here.

Alex Lowe for me. Infectious mountain spirit, helluva nice guy and excelled at all types of climbing.

A close second is this guy. After his girlfriend dies as a result of a wardrobe malfunction, he has the guts enough to come back and defeat a well trained crew of international terrorists. Awesome!

cliffhanger_header.JPG

Alex Lowe for me. Infectious mountain spirit, helluva nice guy and excelled at all types of climbing.

A close second is this guy. After his girlfriend dies as a result of a wardrobe malfunction, he has the guts enough to come back and defeat a well trained crew of international terrorists. Awesome!

cliffhanger_header.JPG

Stuntmen are aid.

Gea Phipps was someone I used to know around Olympia, she's the one who took the actual whipper in that opening scene. It's funny, because when it comes to the fall she's looking right into the camera and it's really obvious she's not the actress, but I think the fall itself just blows that observation out of most folks minds.

I dont know about heroes. The climbers I find most impressive and inspirational are the ones who perservere in the face of insurmountable difficulties - like Hugh Herr or Warren McDonald or Paul Pritchard. I mean, think about how hard it would be for you to climb if you got both legs cut off or sustained permanent brain damage and partial paralysis in a climbing accident. If you are still climbing after that you must really, really love climbing.

George Lowe would probably be at the top of my list.

alp15-11-1.jpg

I've always been impressed with what I've read about him doing in Alaska (let alone the CDN Rockies, or anywhere else for that matter). Anyone that can get his cousin down off a route with a broken ankle, and get right back on to finish the FA, is certainly tenacious. Not to mention he went and did a new route on Foraker right after that.

But, my true climbing heroes are the ones that I spend time with regularly (or, as regularly as possible) in the mountains, at the crags, or even pulling on plastic at the gym. Here's to you guys (and gals). :brew: