REI

kevbone

...I loved the old local shop in Yakima (Hyper Spud) because of the awesome recommendations from the owner - great selection in a tiny store too. But that is a rarity...tough business to be in.

It is a tough business to be in. Especially when folks don't support them and shop the big box stores. That's why John sold it and consolidated back to his first store in Moscow. That's why Chad and Todd sold MSY's inventory to John, when MSY went out of business. And why Sven's went out of business before that.

In my mind's eye, an outdoor community the size of Crackima's should be able to support a climbing/kayaking/skiing/backpacking store like Sven's/MSY/Hyperspud/Mountain Mojo's. History has shown it can't... or won't.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the REI in salt lake is in the same strip mall as IME. i was talking to the owner about it and he had no problem being next to them. realizing that they each had their markets and they actually complimented eachother in what they sold. the thing is, i rarely go to one without going in the other....and this has brought business to IME. similarly, i'm sure FF gets a lot of business from people that go to rei...park once, shop twice!

(btw - IME is a totally bitchin shop. if you're in the area, it's the place to go)

I suppose the best part about REI in my life is I met my wife there about 5 years ago.

Remember, if that doesn't work out for ya, REI has a great return policy... :whistle:

:lmao:

glad you have the sense of humor to appreciate that comment.

I suppose the best part about REI in my life is I met my wife there about 5 years ago. She was a costumer and I worked there.

Isn't that called fishing off of the company pier? As opposed to screwing your co-workers which is called dipping your pen in the company ink?

I suppose the best part about REI in my life is I met my wife there about 5 years ago. She was a costumer and I worked there.

Isn't that called fishing off of the company pier? As opposed to screwing your co-workers which is called dipping your pen in the company ink?

What kind of costumes did she make? Furry mascot suits?

i'm sure FF gets a lot of business from people that go to rei...park once, shop twice!

The Seattle REI used to be up on Capitol Hill and FF was right across the street. When REI moved down the hill, FF followed. They understand the dynamic. In the same way, when Starbucks moved into a new town, they usually tried to set up shop in the same block as the best coffee joint. They never put the old shop out of business, they were just drafting the leader.

REI is like a giant drain filter. The only stuff left on the shelfs is the detritus no one needs or wants. Anyone need to dig a cathole while sporting a pair of magenta Keens a half size too small? No problem. They are continually out of stock of anything useful.

Except the Basement. That used to rock. Now it's empty too. And they doubled the prices. Fuck it.

Spending your dividend at REI does not constitute a discount, BTW. It's redeemable for cash.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

There is about a five inch gap between my stomach and the harness. The guy, seeing that there is no XS in stock, tries to convince me that the fit was correct and I would be fine. I wanted to pull his left eyeball out with a nut tool.

:lmao:

Seriously, someone giving advice about gear that can mean the difference between living and either getting seriously injured or dying, should have a clue...

In my mind's eye, an outdoor community the size of Crackima's should be able to support a climbing/kayaking/skiing/backpacking store like Sven's/MSY/Hyperspud/Mountain Mojo's. History has shown it can't... or won't.

Yes, but we've established...Crackima SUCKS! All that sun fries people's brains or something...it's the most bass-ackward town and I'm a native going back 3 generations saying that!!! There are a handful of very cool people, but not enough apparently. Would be cool if Sporthaus could expand their offerings beyond skiing/tennis...as they seem able to keep a business running.

Being a small, specialty retailer has got to be one of the hardest businesses to be in.

Ditto: Bought $120 Mythos shoes less 20% member coupon less $80 dividend = $16 + tax....I mean seriously, who can beat that?!

most mail order shops can beat 20% off. the "dividend" is just money you already spent like your tax "return"

I hear what you are saying. But I'm happy with the "deal" I got on that one. I'm the research queen when it comes to buying gear...it's something I actually enjoy spending my time on, but even still, I'll often factor in "value of my time spent researching" when trying to find exactly what I want at the price I want to pay, and pay full price when I find "exactly what I want".

Since I can almost always find an item a lot cheaper elsewhere than at REI (I'm sure I save more money than I get back in their 'refund'), and since REI seems to have abandoned it's goal to use the buying power of a cooperative to get the best prices for it's members, I can only guess that the only redeeming quality it still has is it's no-ask return policy. Since I'm not the kind of dirt-bag clim..um..person who will buy something, abuse the crap out of it for its intended purpose, and then take it back a year or two later demanding a refund, REI doesn't usually command my business unless I need it sooner than I can get it elsewhere.

Ditto: Bought $120 Mythos shoes less 20% member coupon less $80 dividend = $16 + tax....I mean seriously, who can beat that?!

Hey Retard: How much did you have to spend on over priced gear to earn your $80 dollar dividend? They still made money off of you, fool. Enjoy your $16 shoes you spent $1200 buying. Not to mention that you earned ZERO dividends on that purchase...

REI fucking blows.After working at MEC in Calgary and seeing how a real co-op works it was an utter shit show down in the Pearl. Wanna get good discounts from a little guy shop? Go make friends. Don't expect to get a handjob just for coming into the place. If you want a little extra shop work done, bring a sixer. If you act like an entitled dick, like REI allow you to do, you'll never get a good deal from a little guy due to a shit attitude. And getting a few bucks off something doesn't add up to all the help advice and assistance I get when hitting the guys at OMC up.

Edited by Ken_p

Hey Retard: How much did you have to spend on over priced gear to earn your $80 dollar dividend? They still made money off of you, fool. Enjoy your $16 shoes you spent $1200 buying. Not to mention that you earned ZERO dividends on that purchase...

...of course they made money off me - as would any retailer.

Hey Retard: I didn't spend $1200 to get an $80 dividend...do math much? And actually I did earn dividend on that purchase...

Lots of folks have a big dividend because they have an REI Visa and pay it off every month rather than buy a lot of stuff there. I was just there and got some new crampons, the service sucked by the way. Two clerks blwing the breeze with their friends while people were waiting. Had to get a clerk because they keep them hidden.

I have an REI Visa. I only use it to buy things I would otherwise buy, instead of paying cash, as they give me 1% back for every dollar I spend, and 5% back on REI clearance sales item purchases.

If I do not buy a single item from REI all year I still wind up with a couple of hundred dollars back during dividend time from using my visa at other gear shops and just paying bills. If you think thats retarded, then you may have math issues Choda Boy:-)