Find the Bolts Dawg:

billcoe

Certainly with hang-dogging and top-rope inspection, you take the mystery out of every square inch of the climb, and most of the danger goes with it. Harder grades, diluted experience. Ain't that what sport climbing is all about? Those elements were important in traditional climbing. Maybe Bachar is correct.

so if one is to ascribe to some arbitrary rule about how climbin's supposta be cuz that's how it was did it when i growed up, and ends up pulling the rope after each attempt, now don't you think one's gonna eventually learn that terrain just as damn well as when one's on a top-rope? hell yeah, eventually one will. not as quickly if the goin's "hard", but the end result's the same (obviously not if falling's not an option).

i've done routes in different styles, and one isn't "better" than another for me, they're simply different. sometimes i spontaneously experince climbing in a certain way, sometimes in another, but i certainly don't live in this stultified idealized judgmental world of how things "should" be done; that just seems plain silly.

hey don't you have some kinda football rehearsal you're supposta be practicing in your head or sumpthin?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spare me the indignation about my reference to your religion, Dwaynedawg. I bet you've brought that into the discussion over a hundred times with your feaux rabbi bit.

Rabbi "feaux" says: "Hey former "alpine buddy"....Whatever!..."

P.S. you don't know from my religion...you really don't.

Rabbi.jpg

Of late, I tend to less frequently engage with you than I used to. Carry on, but don't try to use the "if you don't like my arguments, don't read them" dodge. You probably are not going to get much sympathy from most posters around here if you draw some fire from a clearly misguided sport climbing apologist like Bill Coe, or if you have a post shipped from a climbing thread to spray.

Not looking for sympathy....including, if not especially, yours.

It seems pointless to me not to accept the world the way it is in an area you cannot change. It smacks of a person who is needlessly frustrated because they're trying to control things they can't, or a person who avoids scrutinizing their own life by focusing their attention on the lives of others.

Namaste.

Nice futile philosophy. Enjoy your passive, all-accepting life and let others make your choices. Meanwhile, I'll attempt to shape the world in ways I think will be better.

Dawg, more power to you if you really thing it is going to make the world a better place. I have a hard time seeing how preaching to the cc.com spray club about how climbing has gone to the dark side and [insert latest exciting climbing accomplishment] is pathetic or telling us we are all supporting the vantage-ization of every crag in the universe unless we stand in line behind your shining example is really going to change even a small bit of reality on this earth.

It gives us good fodder for an old fashioned bait and bash, though.

Those were the rules adopted by those to whom ethics and style mattered greatly.

Dont you mean styles are different. You make me to feel like my style doesnt matter. Which is not accurate. I have only ground up one climb of about 20 routes that have my name on it. I feel MY ethics and style matter greatly to me. Bachar and those early pioneers certanly had a style....its not my style....but a style non the less. I respect there style....I only ask for the same respect back.

There are rules to climbing?

sure as hell ain't for me!

clibming rules are for people who can actually climb decent, the rest of us do whatever the fuck we have to to make it to the top, and don't care about whatever spray-speech is piled atop us in the process

It seems pointless to me not to accept the world the way it is in an area you cannot change. It smacks of a person who is needlessly frustrated because they're trying to control things they can't, or a person who avoids scrutinizing their own life by focusing their attention on the lives of others.

Namaste.

Nice futile philosophy. Enjoy your passive, all-accepting life and let others make your choices. Meanwhile, I'll attempt to shape the world in ways I think will be better.

You didn't get the point, but then, I didn't think you would. You're 'attempts to shape the world' are really just making an ass out of yourself trying to shape something you have absolutely no influence over. The world will march on it it's own direction, leaving you alone, railing from your soapbox. Your turning yourself into a running online joke has had, and will have, no effect whatsoever on any aspect of the bolting debate, as trivial as that debate may be in the broader scheme of things.

The key is being able to discern what you can actually change and focusing your energies in that direction versus what you can't. There's nothing futile about working for change in ways where you can actually be effective, rather than wasting your energies in areas where you cannot. This is apparently not your strong suite.

You didn't get the point, but then, I didn't think you would. You're 'attempts to shape the world' are really just making an ass out of yourself trying to shape something you have absolutely no influence over. The world will march on it it's own direction, leaving you alone, railing from your soapbox. Your turning yourself into a running online joke has had, and will have, no effect whatsoever on any aspect of the bolting debate, as trivial as that debate may be in the broader scheme of things.

Hey Buddha.

With your comments above, you just sabotaged your own weak attempt at portraying yourself as philosophical savvy and introspective. I guess it's back to your usual coarse demeanor. I hope you feel better about yourself someday.

"Namaste"!

There are rules to climbing?

sure as hell ain't for me!

clibming rules are for people who can actually climb decent, the rest of us do whatever the fuck we have to to make it to the top, and don't care about whatever spray-speech is piled atop us in the process

was thinking over my sports record while at the gym, and noting the long-standing trend of giving a shit about "the rules" - examples from 30+ years:

- basketball: fouled out of 50% of my games in the 4th quarter, the other 50% i fouled out prior to then :) in high school my favorite afterschool game was rugby-basketball - the rules: no dribbling, no fouls

-baseball: always sharpened my spikes before each game - destroyed at least a dozen bases over my career - thrown out at the plate at least 20 times but goddamn if the catcher wasn't hospitalized at least 10 of them - didn't pitch but if i did i sure as hell woulda learned to throw spitballs - my last organized game ever ended w/ our bench donning helmets and charging the opposing bench w/ bats in a total ww1 "over the top" glorious action (interestingly, the coach led the charge!)

-football: played offensive line. never particularily gave a shit if we won, just wehter or not the asshole in front of me ever got to do anything worht bragging about. favorite dirty tricks: throwing fistfuls of dirt into eyes of defenders when coming off the line, blindsiding bitches on stunts, hitting defenders at top speed 50 yards away from the ball after they'd quit

-soccer: only played it after i was done w/ football. played in my baseball spikes. played fullback. always went for the guy, not the ball. the first time i was carded i honestly had no clue what the gay little card meant - "what the fuck is that?" was elible to play in less than half our scheduled games :)

-high school gym: banned from playing field hockey after the 10th time i'd highsticked - wtf? why can't you use this fucking club like a golf club?!? fucking bullshit.

anyway...rules...who gives a shit? why let something so theoritical get in the way of good visceral fuck-your-mama-in-her-cornhole fun?

Hey Buddha.

With your comments above, you just sabotaged your own weak attempt at portraying yourself as philosophical savvy and introspective. I guess it's back to your usual coarse demeanor. I hope you feel better about yourself someday.

"Namaste"!

If you think my previous statement of common sense is 'philosophically savvy', even weakly so, then then you're more easily confounded than most.

Keep on with your crusade, Dawgma; I'm sure the Age of Sportos will soon end, and a New Age of Aquarius will dawn upon the crags, with nary a single twinkling reflection of a bolt to be found anywhere. A spiritual awakening, with you riding triumphant at it's head, bearing the standard "I told you so!". Good luck with that, buddy.

Or maybe, as gas prices increase, gym and bolt climbing near urban areas will become more popular than ever.

....so if one is to ascribe to some arbitrary rule about how climbin's supposta be cuz that's how it was did it when i growed up, and ends up pulling the rope after each attempt, now don't you think one's gonna eventually learn that terrain just as damn well as when one's on a top-rope? hell yeah, eventually one will. not as quickly if the goin's "hard", but the end result's the same (obviously not if falling's not an option).

Probably not the same if you really do the whole thing from the ground up, since the end result is that you did the whole thing from the ground up. Now who's going to argue that's the same thing as getting all the answers handed to you with top-rope inspection or with aid tactics like letting your rope hang through your top piece? The things I have to explain to you!

...i've done routes in different styles, .... sometimes i spontaneously experince climbing in a certain way, sometimes in another, but i certainly don't live in this stultified idealized judgmental world of how things "should" be done; that just seems plain silly.

When you have lived and loved like Sexy Choco has....

Spelling police.

You didn't get the point, but then, I didn't think you would. You're 'attempts to shape the world' are really just making an ass out of yourself trying[syntax error] to shape something you have absolutely no influence over. The world will march on it it's own direction, leaving you alone,[semi colon] railing from your soapbox. Your[the whole your/you're thing seems to have you a bit befuddled] turning yourself into a running online joke has had, and will have, no effect whatsoever on any aspect of the bolting debate, as trivial as that debate may be in the broader scheme of things.

The key is being able to discern what you can actually change and focusing your energies in that direction versus what you can't. [syntax error] There's nothing futile about working for change in ways where[that] you can actually be effective, rather than wasting your energies in areas where you cannot. This is apparently not your strong suite. [suit]

Dumbass.