Tim or Jon: PM probs?

cracked

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm checking into it right now. We've had a flurry of emails from our hosting provider, there was a dDos attack a few days ago ( you may have noticed the downtime ) i'm not sure if its related yet.

bluebird day today.... hmmmm go skiing or fix Private Messages??????

Go skiing, I hear the trees are the best thing at Bachlor! bigdrink.gif

wave.gif hey TG, sorry we missed you the other week (would send you a pm but...) we stopped by on our way out of town but you weren't around, we'll be back though.

gaper already did some skiin this morning. sunrise skin up the EXTREMO summit chair line, sweet turns on courdoroy love. Fantastic way to start the day!

Hey folks,

I've been working on trying to fix the PM problem this morning but it looks like we are screwed. I'm not sure if this is sign of more attacks from Al Qaeda, but basically our host's servers were compromised and the database server which hold all of the PMs (at last count around 50,000 of them) was hacked and all data was lost. Really sorry about this folks.

-----------------------------------------------

Dear DreamHost Customer,

As you are aware, earlier this week one of the websites we host was subject to a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack that caused our routers in the network operations center to severely malfunction, taking down all services for a good portion of a day. The past couple days we have been upgrading our current router hardware and adding another layer of redundancy to ensure we wouldn’t have this kind of problem again.

Unfortunately one of the new network routers we installed had a major vulnerability in the linux kernel and allowed a hacker to compromise this system and gain access to most of the servers in our cluster. While most of our systems were unharmed two of our dual processor (DP) database servers, Jenna and Silvia, were compromised and all data was lost. Since these are redundant servers running a RAID level there was no tape backup for these servers. Since we encourage our customers to back up their databases locally, we hope that you have done so and are able to restore your data. We are very sorry for this inconvenience but unfortunately for reasons that we don’t fully understand we have become rather large targets for DDoS attacks and spamming, but please be assured we are talking all the precautions necessary to prevent this from happening again.

Sincerely,

The DreamHost Network Operations Team

I don't think that the expense of backing up PMs can be justified. Anything of high importance should be sent via e-mail. If you don't provide an e-mail address then it's just too bad. If you dont' want to get spammed create a special e-mail address for cc.com related e-mail. Use the format myname at provider dot com, or some other device to foil the spambots.

Sad cry.gif but I agree that we should be using email for anything we really care about. I dont think any additional costs would be justified.

Oh, and yay for linux security! Apparently having about 2 million versions of the same OS out in existance ain't such a hot thing afterall. tongue.gif