• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Dru

Best Alpine Alcohol?

Rich n Rare makes a smooth cheap sipping whiskey for out there, I used to just buy the Jim Beam travellers flasks until Lisa Garcia turned me on to this R&R stuff on a trip up in the Chiwawas.

You can always try to slip the twelve pack in with your buddies "group gear"

Hard to beat the single malt with miniature iceberg, but Knob Creek is also pretty good, especially if you can handle the extra weight of a lime.

I actually carried a can of Rainier Beer up Mt. Rainier last summer thinking I would drink it on the summit but didn't feel like it and nobody else did so, I carried it back down and drank it in the parking lot. [big Drink]

So you drink Rainier on Rainer, and Sam Adams on Adams, and get Baked on Baker. what do you do on Hood? Where is Mt Weinhard? And what would you get on top of to qualify for drinking a Bowen Island Blonde?

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
And what would you get on top of to qualify for drinking a Bowen Island Blonde?

in downtown vancouver, probably a prostitute.

sake warmed up and yer good to go. WARMED UP! Great on a winter overnighter when in slug mode for 12 or so hours.

I agree with those who have suggested Burbon. Knob Creek, Makers Mark, whatever. Hey Bobinc, what the fuck is the lime for? To make the expensive Burbon taste like shit? [hell no]

I prefer to float brandy on top of benedictine in a plastic cordial glass without mixing, chill in the snow a few minutes and serve. Finish off with a toke of "not-so-laced" leaf and enjoy.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: trask ]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:[QB]I've gone on a backpack with my dad at least once a year for 30 some years now. His drink of choice has become Yukon Jack mixed with 151./QB]

Boy that brings back memories. The night I got out of the army Yukon and window pane acid.Do ya think that would be too dangerous for climbing?

So - you are going to carry in some alcohol to the hut/bivi/whatever to enliven the evening. What do you take?

I discount beer since even the good stuff is mostly water & not worth the efort to carry in. Box wine bladders pack down good to carry out but again are mostly water. Maybe for spending 2 weeks in ahut but otherwise no. So for best alcohol-to weight ratio you should carry in some of the hard stuff. The question is, what?

Scotch is good straight but I always feel a bit sacreligious if you have to mix it. I have tried Drambuie and it is Ok but my 2 favorites at the moment are Rum and Jagermeister. Both are good on their own (straight) or can be mixed with just about anything including sports drinks like Gatorade if thats all you got. But I want to hear suggestions from others on what you all like to [big Drink] Also you can carry in thses fluids in a spare Nalgene then use it as a water bottle when it is emptied.

The "best" is a matter of personal preference that depends in part on whether you are planning to share. I find that brandy seems to be the most widely accepted when I pass the bottle around a campfire, perhaps because it is slightly less in proof and slightly sweeter than most hard alcohol. Personally, I prefer scotch, fifteen years old, with an icicle in it.

Not to offend you alcoholics, but forget the booze, it will only slow you down on the way in and the day after. Bring some kind herb, it only weighs an ounce! The time for booze is at the pub after the trip grin.gif" border="0

I've gone on a backpack with my dad at least once a year for 30 some years now. His drink of choice has become Yukon Jack mixed with 151. Smooth it out with a little water, and it's not too bad. Maybe I've just gotten used to it?

Chuck

I second the vote for single malt...

Wine is nice for cooking with while car camping... A cheap red has never tasted so good as when combined with a fast and simple to prepare, pepperoni/onion/garlic red sauce and eaten around a campfire after a good day of climbing.

quote:

Originally posted by hakioawa:
151 rum. Its light, mixes well with sweet stuff and can double as a fire starter!

you know you are having an epic shocked.gif" border="0 when you have to torch your drink supply.

I've become "addicted" to Red Bull and Jeager, although the Red Bull is stricktly optional. And I will always stand by a good Irish stout (although heavy) or the rugged Jim Beam traveler.

[big Drink][big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by king of freshies:
sexual chocolate

Is this a non sequitir or some twisted statement of your love for pope's avatar?

100 proof Stolichnaya Vodka...In an aluminum flask, packed into a snowdrift/bank until chilled.Smooth, smooth, smooth.

On a side note:I know of two situations where one person used anothers bottle of Stoly to cook a pot of pasta.That's enough to make a grown man cry. frown.gif" border="0

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: ScottP ]