Looking for feedback on Grivel Products

mammut_rep

I just became the Grivel rep for the NW. Looking for feedback on Grivel crampons, axes, tools, etc. What do you guys think about Grivel products? What do you like? What don't you like? Don't hold back, negative feedback is better than no feedback at all. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have Grivel G-14's, and I love 'em. I have some 2F's and one of the stinking front halves came detached while I had it on my pack skiing. Can you get me a new from half of a 2F? (You're not the first person I've asked.) Yeah, I like this stuff, but it sucks having 3/4 of a pair of crampons.

I have alp wings with easy g leashes. On the easy g leash your supposed to turn the left hand leash around. So that you can get out of the leash by moving your hand away from your body. By turning the leash around it is not as comfortable as with the right hand leash. I would like to see a leash design for the left hand. Also the black part on the leash is long like 4 inches and I don't see why it couldn't be cut down to about two. Did any of this make any sense? Overall I really like both the tools and the leashes. I also have g12s there alright its pretty hard to mess up 12 point crampons.

i got the g12 poons and like them very much....you can bash the hell outta them!

got the old rambo poons i like them very much, even with the offer to obtain another brands i choose to keep em.

go the air race axe, like the wieght, thou i think the head is a bit soft and the point on the end needs to be bigger so a threorhetical biner can be clipped.

the one down thing is price.

mammut_rep said:

I just became the Grivel rep for the NW. Looking for feedback on Grivel crampons, axes, tools, etc. What do you guys think about Grivel products? What do you like? What don't you like? Don't hold back, negative feedback is better than no feedback at all. Thanks in advance.

Its your lucky day. Because I would like to offer you my services as a gear tester. I'm very good at using and abusing gear and since I own few Grivel products I think its crucial that you, as the Grivel rep, supply me with all of the new products on the market so I can test them. Go ahead and send me a private message and I will arrange a time out of my busy schedule that you can stop by and drop off my new gear. It will defenitly get used and I will have an opinion on it. Thanks. Oh and if you are the mammut rep, I had better try out some of the new rock shoes too. I wear street size 11.5, so go ahead and bring some of those by too, thanks.

I bought one of those little black packs, the ice pack I think, it looked like a great design in the store. Then I put about five pounds in it and walked home, 20 minutes or so, god that thing was a bitch to carry. It hurt my back. I returned it.

The frame sheet was angled so that the lower end of it dug right into the small of my back, instead of lying flat. It needs some fixing, needs a little S-curve to it or maybe the pack needs to be sown a bit different at the bottom, or something. What do I know.

I have five 360s, those things are the shit especially the stubby. Racking them is shit-ty though, can only fit two on a biner really. Two 360s and two $18 Charlet Moser with a fixed, simple hanger rack great together and make up a sweet ice rack for alpine stuff.

Methinks Grivel should sell the screw with a simple hanger too, for much cheaper than the 360. It wouldn't cut out of 360 sales, there is no beating that swivel thingy where you really need it and nobody is going to spend $60 on it if they don't need it. Cheaper screws with that reverse angle thread design would be nice.

Might want to see about that $60+tax too, I got mine from Europe for $30+shipping. Why do we have to pay double over here again? I forget.

The price on the Jorasses axe is ridiculous. Double the European price. Send me a PM, reasonable price, I'll buy a 60 cm from you.

Anyways. Other than that pack, and the prices (madgo_ron.gif), Grivel is pretty much the best stuff around. I don't buy it though, because the markups are too much over the European prices.

I've got an Alpine Light pack, it's decent. Having no easy way to attach a shovel is a pain in the ass, though. I haven't carried huge loads in it, but after a long day, it does ride rough on my shoulders. Maybe if I stuff another pair of socks in the hipbelt straps (this is a cool feature), it'll sit more on my hips. I thought the price was right (about $110), especially compared to the Arc'teryx Khamsin 38.

I am a fan of Grivel Crampons in general. I always recommend them. They are simple, very durable, and easy to fit. I have used the G12, the G10, the Rambo, and the 2F.

The ice axes are all right. The Air Tech is GREAT except for the price and the fact that the new BD Raven and Raven Pro are better and cheaper. It has replaced the Ait Rech Racing as THE lightweight ice axe.

I am not a fan of Grivel ice tools. I've used a few and they just don't do it for me. They are all right, but I just don't like them.

Good luck with sales. bigdrink.gif

At least as far as lower extremities go, I love the Rambo/Rambo Comp crampons. Got 'em in Banff a couple of years ago after I bent the shit out of the front points of my FootFangs in Johnson Canyon. Talk about hard ice! shocked.gif

They do ball up snow easily, so I got some of the rubber anti-ball inserts (tried the homemade recipe, and attachment problems just made it too much work - wasn't worth the $12 to the_finger.gif with it.) and now they're just the shizz! thumbs_up.gif

Can't say I like their ice axes/tools. I prefer BD tools for my upper extremities. My $0.02

The alp wing is too long, handle is too small, Easy-G leash too nasty. I like BD. Poons: I've got the G-12. Nice, but the secondary points are a bit long. Again, hard to screw up a basic poon. Screws: The 360's don't seem to bite very well, and you really can't rack them, though they once they bite it's easy to place em. Also, the hanger/crank is so heavy they tend to lever out of the ice when you are trying to get them to bite. I go with BD.

I love my G-12s. Great all around crampon. I prefer BDs ice tools over both Grival and Charlet though. I have found that Grivel's crampons fit the best without modifications and messing with that other brands sometimes require. Oh, and the air tech racing axe has served me well for some time. thumbs_up.gif

I have spent a fair amount of time in my 2f's and i think they're pretty multifunctional if you have the anti-balling thingie on it. i even used them all winter on WI in Banff and didn't have any issues. they go anywhere. and as for them coming apart as was addressed earlier, i kind of like that if i want to stash them in my pack like that. takes up less space.

I also have a pair of Light Machines that i use in the winter and they've served me well too. love the clearance. add the Liberty Leashes and it's a sweet system, in my opinion.

I'm picking up an air tech racing axe this weekend because of it's light weight...

that's my $.01 wazzup.gif

During the last three years I've climbed extensively on most models of Grivel, BD, Charlet, Trango and Simond Tools and Crampons. Grivel has the best pick for basic steep ice, but it is more brittle in really cold temps. The Rambo II, while having no clearance, had the sweetest swing of all tools.

I like the new wings, much better balance than the Machine, not quite as accurate as the Rambo. The 2Fs are one of the best all round crampons ever (when used for both mountain and waterfall) and don't ball up at all (thanks to the included effective anti-bot plates). For large feet they don't follow the outer curve of the boot well, causing tired ankles to roll outward. The front points on the Rambo/G14 crampon are the best because of their angle and width at the back end. The secondary points are pretty long (good for vertical ice, bad for mixed climbing).

The 360 ice screws are difficult to rack and you need to get accustomed to puting continual stabilizing presure on them (requiring a little more concentration at first or when fatigued). The are nice in awkward placements and they are sharp.

I trust their quality and recommend them to my friends, even though I am climbing on BD at the moment.

I don't know if BD has a patent, but OR has come up with some after-market "coffee grinder" style screw-ons that fit older BD and Smiley screws. I bought some, tried them, and then took them off my screws. Lots of fumbly problems. Hard to rack, couldn't get the bottom cap screw to stay tight, coffee grinder was constantly hanging up the draw/rope, etc.

Then a bunch of Canadiennes in Canmore told me about some testing they'd done where something or other would happen in a fall and I'd be killed. FWIW, I believed them (or thought that all the other problems I was having with these things was causing me too much grief) and took them off. The Expresses don't do that b/c they can be folded up against the hanger, but then I guess you would already have known that... cantfocus.gif

I tend to suffer thread drift... sorry. wave.gif

grivel could make universal antibott plates that fit any makers crampon (trim to fit or something)

the Jorasses is a great t-rated tool, also the compact third, very nice item. I'm thinking the compact third is a grivel, trying to remember...

not making a ultralight aluminum cramp is a serious oversight, given the current US "golite" craze- also, an autolocking stitch plate would be nice, they are out there, but not popular here.

Keep innovating. Black diamond is only ripping you guys off sometimes.

Those leashes made for the new ice axes are a key. May not be the best but rock. Fuck the leashless so called revoultion. It's like claiming all the 5.13 climbers are regular people.

I have grivel tools for tech ice.

I have grivel crampoons for snow.

I have grivel poons for ice.

I have grivel tools for ice tech.

I hate your snowshoes.

Work on it. Tell Twight to invent a ninja device for gapers like me on ice. hahaha.gif

You could get a local dealer to order a front half for you. All they have to do is special order them for you from Grivel North America. Ask the guys at either Second Ascent, Feathered Friends or Pro Mountain Sports. They should be able to help you.

skykilo said:

I have Grivel G-14's, and I love 'em. I have some 2F's and one of the stinking front halves came detached while I had it on my pack skiing. Can you get me a new from half of a 2F? (You're not the first person I've asked.)

Yeah, I like this stuff, but it sucks having 3/4 of a pair of crampons.

You could get a local dealer to order a front half for you. All they have to do is special order them for you from Grivel North America. Ask the guys at either Second Ascent, Feathered Friends or Pro Mountain Sports. They should be able to help you.

eric8 said:

I have alp wings with easy g leashes. On the easy g leash your supposed to turn the left hand leash around. So that you can get out of the leash by moving your hand away from your body. By turning the leash around it is not as comfortable as with the right hand leash. I would like to see a leash design for the left hand. Also the black part on the leash is long like 4 inches and I don't see why it couldn't be cut down to about two. Did any of this make any sense? Overall I really like both the tools and the leashes. I also have g12s there alright its pretty hard to mess up 12 point crampons.

Are you turning the leash around or turning it inside out? Turning it inside out turns it into a left-hand specific leash. I'll check into why the black part of the leash is so long. I happen to be friends with the guy who designed them.

erik said:

i got the g12 poons and like them very much....you can bash the hell outta them!

got the old rambo poons i like them very much, even with the offer to obtain another brands i choose to keep em.

go the air race axe, like the wieght, thou i think the head is a bit soft and the point on the end needs to be bigger so a threorhetical biner can be clipped.

the one down thing is price.

One of the reasons for the price is because of the forged head. BD casts the heads of their tools which is less expensive and also makes the heads slightly weaker and slightly less durable. Grivel forges the heads which aligns the grains of the metal to increase the strength and durability.

specialed said:

mammut_rep said:

Its your lucky day. Because I would like to offer you my services as a gear tester. I'm very good at using and abusing gear and since I own few Grivel products I think its crucial that you, as the Grivel rep, supply me with all of the new products on the market so I can test them. Go ahead and send me a private message and I will arrange a time out of my busy schedule that you can stop by and drop off my new gear. It will defenitly get used and I will have an opinion on it. Thanks. Oh and if you are the mammut rep, I had better try out some of the new rock shoes too. I wear street size 11.5, so go ahead and bring some of those by too, thanks.

If you can climb harder than Mark Twight (Grivel North America's Marketing Director) then I might consider you for testing. And, I am the Mammut rep, but the Swiss already have testers for their shoes. Besides, they don't think the Americans are worthy anyways.