Four letter word... volatile, crowbar sensitive.

Pencil_Pusher

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that article lacking for its failure to more clearly state that bolts are offensive to some, clearly carry an associated environmental impact, and may by their very presence detract from the climbing experience for many who follow. It fails to even suggest the idea that an effort should be made to minimize their number. That said, it is the first time I have seen a good description on how to at least try to do it right. I think the reluctance to publish such advice has been founded in the worry that it may invite every Tom, Dick and Harry with some extra time and money on their hands to go out and start drilling holes.

Why does not guy say not to use epoxy?

NOTE: Use of epoxy or silicon in the holes is not recommended, as it traps moisture when the bolt contracts and expands.

I thought the whole idea of epoxy is to keep water OUT of the hole. The stainless steel bolt is not going to rust, but if a lot of water gets in there, it is going to freeze and thaw until it pops the bolt out. The epoxy, even if imperfect at excluding all the water will at least displace most fo the water.

• 2 weeks later...

No wonder I couldn't find this damn post, it was put in spray by Lamebone!

I agree with Stefan, there are certainly places we should leave untouched... but what does that have to do with bolting? wink.gif

"Pure blasphemy" because I think there's some justification for Retro's "warm fuzzy feeling" and the anti-bolt militia. But I also think that bolt should be placed right because we all clip those damn things with an expectation that they're virtually bomber.

Cool, new gremlins! Here's one for the lamebone the_finger.gif oh, nice name for it too! Geek_em8.gif Hey, this is sprayland.

"we all clip those damn things with an expectation that they're virtually bomber."

We? Speak for yourself. Numerous bolts are suspect.

Yeah, those things are snapping off and pulling out all the time. Can't go a day at Smith without hearing that melon-on-pavement-type of sound every couple hours. Suspect, suspect, suspect. yelrotflmao.gif