Cascade Perks

glen

So, sunday I was sitting on a ridge below Chair Peak, checking out the scenery in the uncommonly nice January afternoon and thinkin' to myself, "damn, the Cascades are nice." They don't have the volume of sheer granite of the sierras, the elevation of the Rockies, the WHOA factor of the Himalayas and a veritable infestation of Devils Club, but somehow the elements of relief, precipitation, vegetation and climate still make for a damn nice spot when they come together here.

What is it about the Cascades that you like the most? The least?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cascades are like the little kid brother of the Coast Mts.

Like: more simple access than Coast Mountains. More classics easy walking distance from car.

Dislike: less wilderness than Coast Mountains. Less opportunity for new routes than Coast Mountains.

One thing that the Cascades have aplenty that Coast Mts do not is Mountain beavers. Also Pacific Giant Salamanders are not found N of the Fraser River either. snaf.gif

Funny, I was in nearly the same spot today, thinking the same thoughts.

What I like: The mountains are pretty, pretty cool, and there are lots of them.

What I don't like: There is no reliable ice, there is no ice this year, I haven't climbed any ice, it is too warm so no ice, and there is no precipitation so no ice. Anything else? No. BTW I haven't experienced slide alder, etc, yet. On my things to be done list, though.

Like:

Glaciers

Serentity

Being able to ski 12 months a year

Variety

People are usually cool

After work cragging at N. Bend.

Dislike

Rain and bugs

The amount of miles we put on our cars (Lillooet, Smith, Squamish, WA Pass, Tieton, Mt. Hood)

Overhyped:

Index

Wish:

That we had a glacier for skiing and serracing 15 minutes from Seattle like they do in some of the towns in Alaska.