Low Snow Year's Impact on Summer Volcano Climbing

dbriggs5

This summer I'm making a film about shrinking glaciers with some friends. We're climbing 12 Cascade volcanoes, including the 10 highest and trying to get others our age (college students) interested in living sustainably and environmental advocacy. I could explain the whole premise of the documentary we're making but that would take awhile. I'll cut to the point.

Our film is about shrinking glaciers so a low snow year fits into that theme. But I was hoping to get some insight on what we can expect or if we will have any unforeseen problems this summer since there is so little snow.

The peaks we're climbing are:

Baker (North Side)

Glacier Peak (Cool, White Chuck)

Rainier (Emmons Glacier)

Adams (South or North side, haven't decided)

Helens

Hood (old chute)

Jefferson (haven't decided which route)

South Sister

Broken top

Bachelor

Lassen

Shasta (Wintum Ridge)

Thanks for any advice. We're climbing between June 15 and July 15.

www.12peak.org

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid June seems a bit late for Hood, even in a normal snow year. Are there any glaciers left on St Helens, Bachelor, or Lassen?

Yeah Hood is one that I'm most worried about.

Helen's has a few, actually one of the few growing glaciers in the state I think. Lassen has at least one that I know of. Bachelor has one very small one, but most have gone (we're using it more as a 'look the glaciers are gone' peak, so to speak.

Wintum on Shasta will probably be rock the whole way anytime after spring.

Yeah we're going to just deal with that I think. I'd like to cover the Wintum Glacier in particular which is why we chose that route.

Mainly I'm just worried about glacier travel on some of the other peaks being more difficult tins year in particular because of the low snowfall.

Seems like a poor year to make an unbiased documentary since this year's low snow is abnormal even for a warming planet. A really low snow year might fit into your theme but it's not really indicative of what's really happening with glaciers and year round snow fields.

There are ongoing multiyear scientific glacial ice measurement programs in the state. But you are students so I'm sure your research includes that as well as aerial photos through the years. As has been said, climbing these routes in a low snow year may suit your documentary but may not add much to science.

Used to be permanent snowfield is the new glacier. Now its rock is the new permanent snowfield.

Broken Top and Bachelor don't even have glaciers, and they did not have any glaciers on them as far as I can remember. Don't think Lassen has one since it's explosion a century ago. So you are making a film about disappearing glaciers on peak that don't even have glaciers! Way to go and objectively set up a perimeter for story telling. Hood South Side- wtf?

People seem to be piling on with negative comments. I originally thought you'd be photographing your climbs and using that as "evidence" that PNW glaciers are receding. That would be a flawed approach. Snow fields can look like glacier to the untrained eye. Thin, receding glacier can look like thick, building glacier to the untrained eye. But your original comment does not suggest a cursory approach based on photos and video in your trips. I'll therefore give you the benefit of the doubt.

Using climbing as narrative overlay that is enriched by non-photo data, charts, images, and info from publications on glacier receding could be a nice component to your story and infuse it with a dose of real (analytical, state-of-the-art, peer-reviewed) science. I applaud your effort and look forward to seeing the product, assuming it has some science in it.

Regardless, it sounds like a fun goal. Have a great year!

I don't know the scientific background of the group, but unless they have a geologist or a geophysicist, it will be another wank fest bullshit on film. Just the fact they will be showing Bachelor, Broken Top or Lassen- peak that do not have glaciers on them for decades (do not know if Bachelor and Broken Top ever had) shows the level of preparation and knowledge of the group. South Side of Mt. Hood is also rather poor choice. If you really want to show the glaciers getting smaller North Side of Shuksan, Price Glacier would be far better representation of the issue at hand.

They are also mentioning Rainier. I hope they secured a permit for filming in a National Park. I do not agree with filming and permits, but poaching projects like that just gives Park Service more ammunition for more regulation and scrutiny.

This summer I'm making a film about shrinking glaciers with some friends. We're climbing 12 Cascade volcanoes, including the 10 highest and trying to get others our age (college students) interested in living sustainably and environmental advocacy. I could explain the whole premise of the documentary we're making but that would take awhile. I'll cut to the point.

Our film is about shrinking glaciers so a low snow year fits into that theme. But I was hoping to get some insight on what we can expect or if we will have any unforeseen problems this summer since there is so little snow.

The peaks we're climbing are:

Baker (North Side)

Glacier Peak (Cool, White Chuck)

Rainier (Emmons Glacier)

Adams (South or North side, haven't decided)

Helens

Hood (old chute)

Jefferson (haven't decided which route)

South Sister

Broken top

Bachelor

Lassen

Shasta (Wintum Ridge)

Thanks for any advice. We're climbing between June 15 and July 15.

www.12peak.org

-If you took a moment to describe the average level of experience that your group has with mountaineering in general and glacier travel in particular, it would probably help people here understand what aspects of the routes that you've chosen would fall into the category of hazards that are difficult to foresee, and what are simply standard realities of glacier travel.

-If you took a moment to describe the average level of experience that your group has with mountaineering in general and glacier travel in particular, it would probably help people here understand what aspects of the routes that you've chosen would fall into the category of hazards that are difficult to foresee, and what are simply standard realities of glacier travel.

Will do:

1. We are consulting with Glaciologists and Climatologists to ensure accuracy.

2. We are aware of filming permit issues and have dealt with them.

3. The group is experienced in glacier travel and will be taking additional classes anyways.

4. The goal of this film is not to provide scientific data on the glaciers of the Cascades, that's the job of NOAA, the USGS, etc. The goal is two in one - adventure film, and to inspire others our age to take up sustainable living and environmental conservation. The idea is that people who go experience nature generally have more motivation to protect it. We're telling the story of 6 youths who take a summer to do just that in hopes that seeing our 'adventure' will make them want to embark on their own, and they will want to in turn protect nature.

4. Yes I know broken top and bachelor are weak choices for showcasing glacier recession. Those peaks are in the schedule to lengthen the trip just a bit. If we just went around to different glaciers that wouldn't sell to young people too much would it? Climbing '12 Cascade volcanoes (including the 10 highest)' is more likely to get us views and funding.

I'm 19 years old. I've grown up surrounded by young people who don't care about the environment and have no interest in experiencing it. I want to change that. I don't want to spend the rest of my life watching glaciers disappear, oceans acidify, and species die off. While you might disagree with a few of the choices of this project but ultimately I was just asking for advice on a few routes and not to be bashed about our ideas.

I should have stated in the earlier post that this is not supposed to be a scientific film, and is instead meant to change the attitudes of young people.

I look forward to more advice.

Edited by dbriggs5

Speaking as a scientist, glacier recession has been well studied and documented, we don't really need any more scientific studies to tell us that. What we do need is for people to do something about these types of issues, and that comes down to personal choices. Influencing young people to take care of the world they live in is a noble undertaking. Now if only we could convince the old people who are actually in charge to start taking some responsibility...

the north side of hood is much more impressive for observing the effect of GW on our local glaciers - there is an active study of changes in the elliot as well w/ all kinds of fancy monitors and scientific gizmoes to be seen on the moraines and in the ice.

What we do need is for people to do something about these types of issues, and that comes down to personal choices. Influencing young people to take care of the world they live in is a noble undertaking.

Thank you. that's precisely what we're trying to do. The idea is young people will be more willing to change their personal choices if they have experienced nature since to truly protect something you have to at least know it. The few really easy routes and two glaciated peaks are there so we can identify with our intended audience, and make the places we visit seem attainable.

Mid June seems a bit late for Hood, even in a normal snow year. Are there any glaciers left on St Helens, Bachelor, or Lassen?

The fastest growing glacier in the Lower 48 is within the crater of Mt. St. Helens. In fact some have stated that it is the "fastest" growing glacier in the world.

So yes there are glaciers on Mt. St Helens. I know that Bachelor has a perinneal snowfield. Not really impressive though. Not sure about Lassen. Looks like it mostly has permenant snowfields.

i've climbed the sunshine route on the n side of hood as late as mid-july - the cooper spur can't last into early summer as well - first time i climbed it was solo on 4th of july - those 2 routes were the original easy ways up the big hill n' climbed routinely by little old ladies in wool dresses n' alpine-stocks :)