Overdue skiers

Dave_Schuldt

YAKIMA - Two cross-country skiers who search and rescue crews have been looking for in Yakima County have been found.

Chuck Wildman of Yakima County Search and Rescue says the two men walked out onto Highway 12 just east of White Pass around after 4 p.m. Thursday.

Wildman says they're in great shape -- tired, but otherwise OK.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.komotv.com/stories/22271.htm

"They're fine, wet and a little miserable," said Ric Cole, a search and rescue volunteer. "Other than that, they're doing fine."

[...]

Two sets of ski tracks were spotted by helicopters before the men walked out of the woods about 4 p.m. Friday near Dog Lake, two miles east of White Pass on U.S. 12, Cole said.

Ed from Yakima county SAR just called and confirmed that yes, they have been found. They came out around dog lake, a little ways east of the summit. Glad to hear that everybody is ok. Also glad to hear we wont be asked to search in tomorrow's sure-to-be-nasty storm. bigdrink.gif

Just want to note that everyone here really showed their class in offering to help search for them. In spite of the tough guy spray, you're all right smile.gif

Glad to hear they're fine. Should be good to hear of their adventure at a pub club one of these days.

I think I heard that the second skier on the trip was named "Steve" while watching the story on the news...

I remember James mentioning that traverse on the board a few days ago, and I figured that they were probably just hunkering down and waiting out the weather for a couple of days. Great to hear that everyone's okay and that they made it out on their own power. bigdrink.gif

We are back. Thanks for your concern and keeping the posts clean and *on topic*.

Abstract:

It was slow going S of Chinook Pass w/ the unconsolidated new snow and add'l daily storms. This was lots of work for just two people to break trail.

Despite the tremendous amount of snow and high avalanche terain, we saw no avalanche activity except for some day old tracks (class 1, single pt releases) on the leeward side of Naches Pk on day 2 (Dec 29).

The area between Crystal Mtn and Bumping R along the PCt contains many avalanche prone slopes, most of which we were able to avoid.

Navigating from Bumping R. to White Pass in white-out was no cake walk. You would be surprised how many damaged trees look like they have been blazed w/ an ax.

We thank all the Yakima Co SAR personell and especially the *volonteers* for a well organized effort.

FYI, my check-in person says that before SAR could be activated they needed to find all vehicles involved, and check my residence in Tacoma to see if I was in. Finding my white 2 dr car under several feet of snow was apparently difficult. Only after all this was verified and Pierce Co Sheriff? called Yakima Co. SAR was the SAR activated.

TR to follow in Southern WA Cascades thread.