toes going numb in my rock shoes

thelawgoddess

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have to agree, My feet go numb in my rock shoes to at this time of year. Then last weekend I jumped over my leathers to my plastics to climb with cavey. Bad mistake, as he is brutal on the approach and my feet were soaked and still drying out. So I guess the ? is what the hell is the right footwear at this time of year?

this past spring I climbed mainly in a pair of rock shoes that pinched my big toes to the point they were fairly numb at the end of the day. Then in the summer I climbed some high cold mountains in plastic boots and I found the first part of my foot to get painfully cold was the same part of the big toe affected by the rock shoes. I do not think it was coincidence.

Yes I have to agree, My feet go numb in my rock shoes to at this time of year. Then last weekend I jumped over my leathers to my plastics to climb with cavey. Bad mistake, as he is brutal on the approach and my feet were soaked and still drying out. So I guess the ? is what the hell is the right footwear at this time of year?

Yeah, Cavey can get brutal and not only on the approach.

Didn't TLG's toes get numb because the shoes were too tight? You weren't out rock climbing in the snow were you TLG? Cheers to you if you were... but unless you tell us otherwise I'll just assume you got pinched toes at VW grin.gif

Anyways, I'm just using the same boots I use in the summer, a pair of Kayland multi-traktions. I just exchanged my thin wool socks with a thick pair, and throw in a good set of tight gaiters that I can trust to keep the snow out. Keeps me balmy warm and dry. A thicker setup would just make me wet and cold from sweating more.

Double plastics are overkill for anything in the PNW that isn't at least three days and in the dead of winter, unless it's for skiing.

If these are shoes you're going to hope to wear all-day long, get a different pair. Trust me...My trad shoes are board-lasted and I can wear them all day long with minimal discomfort (for a climbing shoe that is). My slippers are tight and I bought them that way. I only wear those when I'm out bouldering, climbing on my woodie or if I turn to the dark side and clip some bolts. But no way on multipitched climbs, they would hurt too much.

Just some advice from a cantfocus.gif

If you're climbing 5.11 or above it may be worth it to have tight shoes. Otherwise, comfort is more important. A partner almost lost his big toe nail because he was wearing shoes that were too small. It made it really painful for him to do much of anything in climbing shoes for a long time.

Don't be silly. Get some shoes that fit.

to add to that, the only people I know who have to take their shoes "off" (pull the heel off as soon as they are done with the route) are climbing .13d in the gym, .14 when they find one in this area. The only two times I've had numb toes (and the screaming barfies equivalent in my feet, not hands) was a COLD COLD LONG crack climb, and my synchros a size small for socks and said all day adventure, AND, the time I wore my leathers when I should have worn my plastics... both were cases of not appropriate footwear for the situation.

depending on your foot shape, you may need to try some other shoes... Perhaps the mythos. they stretch real nice and mold to your foot...

hope you find something more comfey...

smile.gif

If you are trying to squeeze some rock days out lately and your feet are going numb from the cold, try making some modified 80's aerobics leg warmers.

Take some wool socks and cut off from about four inches back from the toe. The "warmers" slip over your rock shoes, leaving only the front half of the shoe exposed.

If your feet are going numb from rock shoe tightness, just get in the habit of slipping your shoe half off between laps, boulder problems, or belay slave sessions. If you are multipitching it, with a little practice you can slip them half off even on hanging belays faster than Twight can even say the word "gu". In my humble opinion, buying bigger rock shoes for anything but high altitude rock is a bad idea regardless of what grade you are climbing. Good luck.. Keep us updated.

Why do you think bigger rock shoes are a bad idea, Jens? I like that footwarmer idea.

When are your feet going numb, lawgoddess? I remember you saying something a while back about your new shoes helping you climb a few grades harder... so I'm guessing they're tight "performance" rock shoes.

thanks, y'all. i loved reading your responses. fleblebleb had it right - i was climbing in the gym, so it had practically nothing to do with the weather. i've got a cozy pair of mythos for all-day wear. i love those things. but a few months ago i got a pair of anasazi velcros for "better performance" sport climbing and at the gym. they were awesome, but i thought perhaps a bit too big since i could wear them all day without a whimper. so ... when i had to send them back due to a "defect" i asked for the next size smaller. what a difference one size makes! shocker.gif

it's not like i have to take them off before i hit the ground, though. i think i'll just grin and bear it ... unless i start losing toenails!