born again christians

keenwesh

I grew up in the Lutheran church, and ascribed to the bible for many years. It wasn't until about a few years ago that I started having my doubts. I find it funny that I could have conversations among my Christian friends that seemed so logical, but now i can't participate in their conversations really because they only work if everyone buys into the same basic faith system. It has amazed me how many assumptions I made.

Now, I just don't talk about it with those people, many of whom are still my friends. I just don't want to have to deal with people 1.) Trying to save me, and 2.) morning me as a lost sheep.

It's obviously still a progression, and I am far from certain on what I believe. I am not an atheist, probably much more of an agnostic. It just resonated with me what Tvash said about believers not being able to imagine not believing. That was me for a long time. I guess things change.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Where am I, or what? From what causes do I derive my existence, and to what condition shall I return? ... I am confounded with all these questions, and begin to fancy myself in the most deplorable condition imaginable, environed with the deepest darkness, and utterly deprived of the use of every member and faculty.

Most fortunately it happens, that since Reason is incapable of dispelling these clouds, Nature herself suffices to that purpose, and cures me of this philosophical melancholy and delirium, either by relaxing this bent of mind, or by some avocation, and lively impression of my senses, which obliterate all these chimeras. I dine, I play a game of backgammon, I converse, and am merry with my friends. And when, after three or four hours' amusement, I would return to these speculations, they appear so cold, and strained, and ridiculous, that I cannot find in my heart to enter into them any farther.”

in other words, there ain't no bummer a hummer n' a hotdog can't handle :hcluv::)

Pretty much. My take-away was that even people who drone on about "radical indeterminacy and the impossobility of knowing absolute truth" etc for hours on end still brush their teeth, turn on the burner when they want to heat water, fill their gas tanks to keep their cars running, request anesthesia before their vasectomy, use birth control to prevent pregnancy, etc, etc, etc.

maybe they do, maybe they don't. you can't prove it completely. this may all be a grand hallucination. amirite.

"Solipsism is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. The term comes from the Latin solus (alone) and ipse (self). Solipsism as an epistemological position holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure. The external world and other minds cannot be known, and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist. As such it is the only epistemological position that, by its own postulate, is both irrefutable and yet indefensible in the same manner."