How to Survive Winter In Seattle

PsychedWill

So I kind of ended up in Seattle, without money, after a two month road trip. So I'm kind of stuck here for, what I've been told, is the worst winter I could possibly find anywhere.

So how's a climber supposed to stay sane? Alpine climbing in the Cascades? Mountaineering in the Olympics? Pulling on plastic in the gym? Skiiing?

How is a dirtbag climbing bum supposed to stay sane?!?!?! Do I take up knitting?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its because I have lived here for 40 years but I have never had problems staying busy in the winter. I found that keeping an open mind and following the good weather is a good strategy. Ice climbing trips to Canada, rock climbing trips to Smith, skiing (BC when avi conditions allow, lift serviced when not), and of course winter alpine climbing. The big winter alpine trips I have done in the Cascades are among my most memorable trips.

just stay above the freezing level for 9 months.. you'll be fine.

man.. if i was "stuck" in northern WA with no responsibilities, i really don't think i'd need any help figuring out what to do.. i could easily eat up at least a month, maybe two, in the olys, and the northern cascades could fill the rest of my time, through spring

you can always hitch hike to warmer/drier climates

First off, I hope you got a job. Second, winter is the best season we have here (ok, maybe not counting spring and summer) if you pay attention to the weather. That's the key: do whatever you can where weather and condition allow. Check the noaa and nwac websites every day, for anywhere where there might be something to do. Pretty sure I've skiied, ice climbed, and climbed rock all in one day here, which is really winning, and doing two of those things in one day was pretty common last winter.

One key to survival is to avoid talking about the weather. We do more whining about the weather here in Seattle than anywhere I've ever lived. And we have the most benign weather of anywhere I've ever lived.

"It's too cloudy. Waaah."

Even if you work 5 days a week you can ski, boat, or climb every weekend even in the dreaded "winter" months. You don't have to shovel snow off your driveway (or roof), and the heating bills are pretty low. You want snow? Drive up to the pass and there is all you can eat (unless it is July through October).

What is the problem?

How is a dirtbag climbing bum supposed to stay sane?!?!?! Do I take up knitting?

here is the real problem. "dirtbag climber bum" There are plenty of options in winter as described above, but they involve either money (think lift tickets, gas and possibly lodging) or the very real possibility of exposure to avi hazards. Neither of these is the usual mode of operation for "dirtbag climbers".

I would say that knitting is the cheap way to spend your winter dirtbag, but I swear my wife spends more knitting than our mortgage. Probably better off buying a seasons pass at your local ski hill.

:tup:

First off, I hope you got a job. Second, winter is the best season we have here (ok, maybe not counting spring and summer) if you pay attention to the weather. That's the key: do whatever you can where weather and condition allow. Check the noaa and nwac websites every day, for anywhere where there might be something to do. Pretty sure I've skiied, ice climbed, and climbed rock all in one day here, which is really winning, and doing two of those things in one day was pretty common last winter.

2 words, "Be Flexible" and plan on driving a bit.

Smith and Vantage are clime-able for a significant part of the winter. I've seen people in t-shirts in Feb. out at Vantage. If your desperate to get your suffer on you can always go aid climbing in the rain at Index :)

Ice does come in all over the place you just have to be able to jump on it when it's in, because it can disapear in a heartbeat. Check here on CC.com and here. http://www.wastateice.net/ You can always go drytooling at E38 or the SR900 crag.

Great snowshoeing, and cc-skiing in the Cascades.

Reasonably good downhill both at the resorts and in the backcountry. Mt. Baker is the snowiest place on earth after all. Not Colorado powder, but there's usually good skiing to be found somewhere.

Lots of good beer to be had. Tis the time of the year for stouts and porters! :)

Best plan is to watch the forecast, see where the weather is good, go there and do something. Successful more weekends then not. Having rigid plans, and destinations = disappointment though! The weather here is actually very mild. We don't get that much rain or precip, it's just grey a lot. I think most transplants spend the first winter thinking clouds = rain, and the 2nd winter realize clouds = clouds and when it does rain it's more heavy mist then downpour.

Aside from the rather obvious option of skiing...

Your mentality will change: you'll find yourself running for the door when the sun comes out, or even when the rain stops!

In absence of money, time and energy can get you some fun. I think you can volunteer at Stone Gardens a certain # of hours per week, belaying other people or kids in exchange and get a free pass to climb. (Or maybe a discount? I don't climb there so am unsure.)

There are some free outdoor practice crags at the UW Rock or the Mountaineers headquarters in Magnusen Park - the Mounties put up some new crack climbs that are apparently pretty fun and a harder workout than the ones that were there before.

Volunteering at the food bank is a great way to contribute to the community and get some of your groceries for free while you're at it. They don't really answer email, but you could try showing up and ask about volunteering.

Put fenders & lights on your bike and get around town on 2 wheels. There is surprisingly decent biking here.

Go trail running for cross training; the woods are pretty even in the rain. Seattle has great city parks with lots of trails; see if you can visit all of them. The biggest and most interesting ones IMO are Magnusen Park and Discovery Park.

Cyclocross racing is pretty fun and I'm going to try it this year. It seems a bit silly; hopping over barriers with a road bike that's wearing knobby tires?! but people seem to love it and it's a great local scene if you're into biking.

Also, I like to read this weather blog, because it helps me understand the storm systems and predict when the weather will clear and where/when it will rain. The weather patterns here are actually pretty dynamic and interesting, and can be beautiful in their own way! It's more fun when you know the reasons behind the weather.

For seasonal depression, get a SAD lamp for $150. I start using mine right about now and it REALLY HELPS.

Sometimes you can get super cheap airfare to Vegas for a Red Rocks or Zion climbing fix. I heard November is good. I was there one March and it was a bit chilly in the shaded climbs but nice in the sun.

How about crewing on a sailboat in Seattle during the winter months?

It won't cost anything as long as you have non-marking shoes (tevas or keens) and biking gloves. Use climbing clothes for cold rainy outings.

Here is a website to help you going: http://www.cycseattle.org/sail-with-us/crewfinder/

It surprises me how few are willing to go up a mast so mention your climbing skills and willingness to go up one. I have tied many prussik around a mast...they like to send the lightest one up.

How about crewing on a sailboat in Seattle during the winter months?

It won't cost anything as long as you have non-marking shoes (tevas or keens) and biking gloves. Use climbing clothes for cold rainy outings.

Here is a website to help you going: http://www.cycseattle.org/sail-with-us/crewfinder/

It surprises me how few are willing to go up a mast so mention your climbing skills and willingness to go up one. I have tied many prussik around a mast...they like to send the lightest one up.

The sailing schedule after Round the County (second week of Nov) is very thin until March though.

When I was younger I had several years where I didnt have a job for several months at a time on the shoulder seasons. It wasnt hard to figure out what to do: skiing, fly tying, fly fishing, climbing at Smith all months of the year...

The hardest thing was actually finding midweek partners for any of that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

No I have a job. I'm just stuck here until I get enough money for another trip. I'm not stuck and destitute. This is just the place where I've ended up in between adventures, and most of the people I talked to were being real downers about the winter.

Thanks for the good news, I get to pick my days off whenever I want during the week, so this might be good times.