FUCK YOU KEN SCHRAM!!!

jon

quote:

Originally posted by Fairweather:

Bicyclists=Tele Skiers.....arrogant, holier-than-thou, snobs.

Now, there's an enlightened viewpoint. What are your thoughts on other categories of people? blacks? jews? people who drive foreign cars? just curious.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan:

Ken Schramm is only ranting about the bicycle messengers downtown. He is not ranting about the everyday joe commuting or using his bike outside of downtown.

i don't think so. he makes specific mention that more bikers are out now that the weather is nice, although that is a point i'd tend to agree with - sunny afternoon bikers are really clueless.

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

Bikers have the advantage of having both the same rights as a motor vehicle (space on the road), and also a pedestrian (right of way in crosswalks).

Actually I took note of something a few years ago to the contrary. A bicyclist was trying to sue a motorist who clipped him while he was riding across a crosswalk. If the bicyclist had been walking their bike, they would have been considered a pedestrian. Since he was riding his bike, he was a moving vehicle and thus lost the case.

Once in Bellingham, a bored cop pulled me over for riding my bicycle through a stop light. I must have looked slightly amused so he decided to give me a breathalizer test. I really started busting up and laughing my head off. The more I laughed, the more loaded he thought I was. I was stone cold sober. When the test came up with nada, the look on his face was priceless! He went off grumbling about being to busy to give me a ticket. I was actually a little disappointed, I would have framed the thing!

[laf]

Part of the bike/car/pedestrian problem in Seattle is that we are in a gray area in terms of both rules and politeness. Years ago, when I was a bike messenger in Boston, it quickly became clear that there was a complete absence of rules, and, because of this, no one had any expectation of consideration from other users of the sidewalks and streets. This made for much more exciting riding (which isn't for everyone) and also enabled one to get across town very quickly on a bicycle. The police presence was nonexistent and the continual construction projects made every day a bracing steeplechase.

In Seattle, the combination of quasi-bike lanes, jaywalking penalties, and impatient motorists puts everyone in a different state of readiness (mostly to be pissed off at all the other people who aren't following the rules). This makes riding anywhere close to downtown simultaneously boring and dangerous. I find myself alternately angry at cyclists or pedestrians (when in a car), motorists or pedestrians (when on a bike), or motorists and cyclists (when a pedestrian).

Regardless of all this, I agree heartily that Ken Schramm is a prick.

Last week I was having dinner at a restaurant in Fremont where we were sitting at a table outside on the sidewalk. Out of nowhere a gal comes flying through the air from behind me and hits the deck hard and her bike lands nearby. She had been cruising up the sidewalk and clipped someone coming out of the doorway of the restauant. She moaned in agony a bit, then got back on her bike and continued her sidewalk cruising out of site. Stupid biker chick. [laf]

Damn, Vegetablebelay! That was funny stuff, and thanks for sharing. I was once on "patrol" in my ambulance in downtown Portland and watched a women parker open her car door right in time for another women cyclist to slam into it. That wasn't funny stuff. Wear your helmets...and assume that they're all out to kill you. Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

downtown Portland and watched a women parker open her car door right in time for another women cyclist to slam into it. That wasn't funny stuff.

That is why the streetcar in NW portland is the nemesis to all bikers. those tracks make you bike about 0.5m off of the parked cars. I've had two brushes with people opening the driver door, and I know I'm going to get clotheslined one of these days. Damn rail! I'm going to fall into that thing one of these days. They were kind enough to put up a dramatic warning sign with a biker making like superman over the bars. Kind!

I didn't bother reading the Schram statement, but, you wussies should come out to my neighborhood to ride if you have it so bad. I have attempted to ride for training and went back to running for one reason - It really hurts to ride your bike into the ditch. The folks out here don't give a rats ass if you are a pedestrian or cycler, they figure roads are for driving trucks and cars on you fitness freak! Stay off the road!

Erik: it's good to see an adjuster not taking things too personally in the handling of one's claim. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

quote:

Originally posted by Fairweather:

Bicyclists=Tele Skiers.....arrogant, holier-than-thou, snobs.

Now, there's an enlightened viewpoint. What are your thoughts on other categories of people? blacks? jews? people who drive foreign cars? just curious.

[Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes] Gimme a break "Roge".

I frankly don't understand 'bike lanes'. They ARE clearly marked thru the middle of some blocks, but when it comes to an intersection, they mysteriously disappear, leaving a dangerous ambiguous zone. What's really supposed to happen there if a car needs to turn and unseen bicyclists are cruising along on the right?

The Revised Code of Washington States:

"Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway." RCW 46.61.290

Suggesting that a car should hold the bike lane when truning right, just as a bike should hold the left turn lane when turning left.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

i find bicyclists on

narrow country roads

to be a bother, and

sometimes hazzard to

themselves and we motorists

on the other hand,

i have not had any

negitive run-ins with

cyclists in Seattle or Everett

i personally try to be

courteous to drivers AND cyclists

fuck man, i'm always worried

about pissing off some wacko

and getting shot

it's easier to just get along
[laf]

what's with the short line length? it's like like william carlos williams meets boz scaggs.

i find bicyclists on

narrow country roads

to be a bother, and

sometimes hazzard to

themselves and we motorists

on the other hand,

i have not had any

negitive run-ins with

cyclists in Seattle or Everett

i personally try to be

courteous to drivers AND cyclists

fuck man, i'm always worried

about pissing off some wacko

and getting shot

it's easier to just get along [laf]

Two days in a row now I almost got creamed on my bike by some moron pulling out of a parking lot while talking on their cell phone. These people had no clue I was there. They probably had no idea what any of the traffic was. [Mad] The other peeve is the drivers who will not move over a little bit when there is no bike lane and the traffic is light enough that they have room to give cyclists some room when we are already as far to the right as we can safely get. It amazes me how stupid people can get when they get behind the wheel.