be careful this spring

keenwesh

Yeah, we wouldn't want to ruin the hardcore reputation of bouldering next to the freeway by softening the landings. That shit is CORE!

They should add some stumps to vertical world, too, to make it more exxxxxxxxtreme

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think enviormentalist want to try a set a boundry to the next generation that its not ok to rip out that stump, bolt that face, ect... just like in saxony and other places where you cant use freinds or chalk. how do you think they enforce that? its probibly generations of ethics being passed down.

Most retarded thread ever, it's like the Nodder thread condensed into 3 pages...

I can't believe I posted on this.

But you did, dude! So what's that got to say about you????

Add your name to the growing list of "climbers" allergic to ethics.

Changed the title to reflect the content. Maybe someone can move to spray ;)

As noted right here above, yet another climber proves himself intolerant of environmentalist perspectives (oh the irony!) and suggests that such discussion deserves to be thrown in the sewer that is "Spray" along with such lofty topics as "Grocery outlets", "Sheep" and "Seagals".

Climbers used to have the reputation of being the standard-bearers of environmental conservation. No longer. It's almost a joke now. Backpackers (a.k.a. "wimps" by many "climbers" standards) had it figured out decades ago and now it's getting to the point where even the much derided snow-mobilers seem to leave less impact than many climbers. You want to cut a stump? No doubt it fits right in with the convenience-standard of numerous "climbers" today. You think perspectives of ethics that conflict with your own belong in spray? Shallow, I say....shallow.

for the record, i care.

-to watch the shitstorm unfold whenever raindawg posts.

there is often good food for thought with bits of good dialogue but the majority is:

BeatingDeadHorse.gif

btw can we make that one of the standard smiley icons?

Dawg: You must get tired of yourself at some point? Your drivel serves no function. No one cares.

Tired of myself? Never. Tired of vulgar you? Always.

No one cares? Actually, I am regularly thanked for my so-called "drivel" by folks who appreciate my perspectives, many of whom will probably never post in cc.com because of the likes of you.

You can,in fact, expect a growing number of people agreeing with me.

By the way, you, "Rad" and "Water" have stepped up to prove my point:

many in the climbing "community" are antagonistic to an ethic that argues restraint when it comes to altering the environment. Dumb it all down to your standards? Take out a stump because it's incovenient? Cut down the forest at Index so you can climb drier? Whatever. Most of the rest of the outdoor world has long passed you by.

I most definitely did not step up to prove your point as you have listed it. like I said, I enjoy watching the drama unfold and have found good bits of info and some thought-provoking dialogue at times. You may argue otherwise, but most of the time when you post, the lines are drawn, and from both, it is all

BeatingDeadHorse.gif

No one cares.

I care. Even if I disagree most of the time with the Dawg...I respect the fact that he sticks to his guns. No matter what. Keep it up raindawg....even if you are wrong!

Bush "stuck to his guns" too.

Chopping an old stump next to the freeway equals cutting down the entire forest around index? I'm pretty sure at this point he's just trolling us.

It's about making the world a better place.

There was a near full sized Doug Fir tree up at Rocky Butte that everyone used to anchor Crack Warrior. In 1996 we had a winter windstorm that snapped it off @ 6-8 feet up. Made a nice stump and everyone still used it as an anchor as it started to rot (fairly fast). I didn't go there for some time but went up there @ 2006 or 7 with Crackman and someone else and the entire stump had disappeared just from natural rotting and was basically gone....except for some detritus still rotting at the base. Natural process. That's what is going to happen to this stump as well. I asked around if adding some bolts for an anchor at the top would be OK, (including here) only got yelled at once by some dudes out there and those guys didn't even know where Crack warrior was. They just were pissed that people were putting in convince anchors where gear had been easily used for 30-40 years. I agreed with their point but explained this former anchor rotten away issue, and they did get on board. So I didn't discount them as just knee jerk ravings like yours Don, but edumatcated them to the facts. Put in some chains and cleaned the rotten wood out.

I also sprayed some poison oak there. I don't consider spraying that stuff environmentally wrong, although others, like Lucky Larry does. The entire top of that climb is much much better. As humans, it's what we do, make our world better. In this case, from what I can see, leveling that single dead stump would make the world a better place. Sure, it's selfish and self-centered just like Dane says up thread. But when they do it, if they sprinkle some dirt on top of it, you'd never know, and the world is better for both the stump being gone and you knot knowing of it's presence or absence.

I'm sure that you would argue that the park service folks and climbers who leveled out the bases of Smith Rock routes and built some trails ruined the environment, and I would argue that they made the world a better place.

Both of us will not change our views and opinions, but just remember that I'm right and you're wrong on this.

Ta ta! :wave:

Dawg: You must get tired of yourself at some point? Your drivel serves no function. No one cares.

Tired of myself? Never. Tired of vulgar you? Always.

No one cares? Actually, I am regularly thanked for my so-called "drivel" by folks who appreciate my perspectives, many of whom will probably never post in cc.com because of the likes of you.

You can,in fact, expect a growing number of people agreeing with me.

many in the climbing "community" are antagonistic to an ethic that argues restraint when it comes to altering the environment. Dumb it all down to your standards? Take out a stump because it's incovenient? Cut down the forest at Index so you can climb drier? Whatever. Most of the rest of the outdoor world has long passed you by.

I'm so glad your are regularly thanked by the nut jumpers who share your single opinion that you express here endlessly. Your numbers are growing. You are Legion. You should join your Hordes and not post here.

The way that you tirelessly and condescendingly express your same stale and increasingly irrelevant ideas from your "Holier Than Thou" perch high above the squalid masses inspires many. Some ridicule and deride you, to great mirth. Others shit in a the middle of a trail, hoping you may step in it as you pad barefoot, shirtless in cut-off jean shorts, towards your next bold free solo. Others carve your name over ancient hieroglyphs, a message to future climbers that it was you who cared the most.

Your seeming obliviousness to your own hypocrisy is also a source of inspiration. You seem to care so much and act so little, with words alone. If I had the time I'd send down some Old Growth just to watch you, standing by the side of a litter strewn and stump devoid highway, on a thick layer of moldy futon mattresses, under a chalk encrusted boulder, next to a cranked boombox, surrounded by sweaty and yelling twenty-somethings with no concept of how correct your opinions are or how to correctly enjoy Nature and live Life, in your full ceremonial headdress, shed a single tear down your proud visage.

Here's a quiz: Why is this hole in the ground like your manifesto crumbled into a ball and stuffed into your mouth?

JA002107.jpg

"My generation is not going to save the planet; we're not going to do anything about global warming; we're not even going to change our light bulbs. But these kids have had environmental education. They don't fall for advertising. They know the problems of the world and want to do something about it."

Yvon Chouinard, 2011

Ya, good luck with that.

Dawg, if you judge my character based on a single cc.com post you are a shallow pool indeed. I am not antagonistic toward environmental restraint and in fact encourage it. I am antagonistic toward your rantings, because while you decry those who refuse to alter their views or re-consider their own opinions, you are completely unwilling to do the same. I would hope that in your scientific career you are able to develop penetrating and testable hypotheses, gather data needed to assess them, and alter or discard your hypotheses when the data do not support them. Your behavior here would suggest you are incapable of practicing this fundamental scientific method and instead selectively sift through data, discarding those that refute your ideas and latching onto those that support it. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

You should join your Hordes and not post here.

You don't like my contrary perspectives or the way I present them?

Is this Choada Boy.com? Here's something you might try: If you see the name Raindawg on the post, keep scrolling!

Some ridicule and deride you, to great mirth. Others sh*t in a the middle of a trail, hoping you may step in it as you pad barefoot,...

Enjoy the laughs! Crapping in a trail so someone will step in it..pretty juvenile fantasy you got going there! Is that in the repretoire of hip, modern climbers? I guess I'm not hip.

If I had the time I'd send down some Old Growth just to watch you, standing by the side of a litter strewn and stump devoid highway, on a thick layer of moldy futon mattresses, under a chalk encrusted boulder, next to a cranked boombox, surrounded by sweaty and yelling twenty-somethings with no concept of how correct your opinions are or how to correctly enjoy Nature and live Life, in your full ceremonial headdress, shed a single tear down your proud visage.

CryingIndian.jpg

Yup, that's me!

P.S. You got a pretty strange mean-streak. Scroll on by.