Best Pitches In The PNW

TimL

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always liked the third pitch on Snake. Just good climbing, nice views and there are usually so many people on the apron, that it seems almost like you're going for a walk in the park than climbing a few hundred feet up.

Getting to the anchors of Mosquito is fun too, because you didn't have to wait in line. Smoke Bluff Connection I think is a classic. Lots of climbing but you don't feel strung out there (then again I haven't done the fourth pitch).

To feeling the exposure, I think towards the top of Black Peak NE ridge felt kinda airy.

A few pitches below the top of the NE Buttress of Slesse is one that is labeled in CAG as "incredible 5.8" and "80 ft of continuous 5.7." That is maybe my favorite single all time alpine rock pitch. One move after another with good pro, decent rests and, obviously, outstanding position.

The approach to this pitch takes a little while.

So Many good pitches but some random thoughts

5.8 Sphagetti Sauce Slab, layback, face, stem, crack, chimney all in 80'

5.9 Godzilla

5.10- p2 of Davis Holland

5.10 Exasperator

5.10+ last two pitches of NW Face of North Early linked

5.11d Clay. Oh wait.....I don't climb 5.11d

• 6 months later...

5.5 and easier = Saber/midway

5.6 = R&D

5.7 = outerspace shield pitch

5.8 = Orbit/nface mole/Old Gray Mare

5.9 = Godzilla/"i think its booty" The Professor EFace/Dreamer/ Damnation

5.10 = lovin arms/hyperspace/the Regular Route on Eagle Rock (warrior wall)/Sloe Children/Exasperator/Brass Balls

5.11 = Psychopath/Boving route on SEWS/Jap Gardens/the Joust

5.12 = I am sure one of the cracks at index in this range is very worthy/ I have only climbed 12-sport and none are even memorable enough to really remember the names. pitty.gif

5.13 = City Park/ The Shadow (may be 5.12?) thumbs_up.gif

5.14 = Does the NW have any good .14 cracks?? hahaha.gif

don't know if anyone mentioned it in this huge thread and i'm too lazy to check, but:

5.7 - beacon rock - se corner, pitch 2. amazing pitch in a sweet setting. contains opportunities for every major type of climbing move.

Nope, no one mentioned that one Ivan. Theres been some great routes mentioned. Blownout was the only beacon route named so far, which is strange as Beacon has some routes which might beat some of the routes named so far.

That pitch on SE corner is pitch 3 unless it's done with Cruisemaster, and Crusimaster is about as good as it gets too.

Other memorable routes are Dod's Jam (first 3 pitches), Ground Zero (1st 3 pitches) to the roof, I've never freed the 2nd pitch), Bluebird and Free for Some are all very good Beacon canidates as well. There might be at least 5 more that would rank right up there with some of the others I would think.

Alpine Rock- N. Ridge of Stuart-Great gendarme is spectacular

Southwest buttress of S.E.W.S.

Dreamer- amazing friction and crazy face climbing way up near the top

Zebra Zion-Smith-Fucking amazing

Leuthold variation for Snow and Ice-Hood

Moonshine Dihedral-Sickness

Route on the JY crag in icicle canyon-200 ft pitch, first half 5.9 friction, second half 5.9 crack cantfocus.gif

Sport-wherever I may roam-smith

bigdrink.gif Love fest 2004 aww yeah fooos hahaha.gif

bluebird climbed directly from the winters delight anchor is one of my favorite pitches at beacon....long, sustained with a straight in hand crack to finish it off. the fourth pitch of young warriors is another good one. and don't forget about pipeline.

The north face of Mount Hood in fall ice conditions is probably the best of the "standard" routes I have done on the mountain.

The final ridge climb up Early Morning Spire is pretty nice in terms of position.

The snow arete on NB of Mt. Fury is pretty incredible too, but that just may be because it's still in my mind as a recent memory. It's the point where you realize you are going to make it and you can actually enjoy the ridiculous position you are in.

5.6 - R&D, 11worth + Cinnamon Slab, Smith

5.7 - Givler's 2nd Pitch, 11worth & 7 Virgins and a Mule - Vantage

5.8 - Catapult, Lower Castle Rock, 11worth & Party in Your Pants, Vantage & Lion's Jaw, Smith

5.9 - The Dihedral, Minnehaha & first pitch of It Ain't Hay, Chimney Rock, Idaho

5.10A - Cocaine Crack and Angel Crack, 11Worth

5.10B - Fun Roof, Chimney Rock, Idaho & Wedding Day and Let's Face It, Smith Rock

5.10D - Don Quixote - Minnehaha

• 1 year later...