"Spill. Baby. Spill"

j_b

NYT Linky -

The vast amount of oil that Iraqi occupation forces in Kuwait dumped into the Persian Gulf during the 1991 war did little long-term damage, international researchers say.

As Iraqi troops retreated from Kuwait, they opened the valves of oil wells and pipelines, pouring up to 8 million barrels into the gulf. But researchers found little lasting damage.

Help me Mr Math! How long will the current spill need to flow to create that kind of damage......?

25,000 barrels day X 40 days = 1 million barrels.

So 8 times as long to get the same volume.

But you said "create the same damage". In dollar terms, Iraqi marshes are cheap and US marshes are expensive. So the 1 million barrels already spilled have likely surpassed the 8 million barrels in Iraq in terms of financial cost of damage caused

You are Mr Math but not Mr reading. What I wrote was "How long will the current spill need to flow to create that kind of damage......?" I guess I wanted Mr Know-it-all! aka J_B!

Edited by Peter_Puget

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NYT Linky -

The vast amount of oil that Iraqi occupation forces in Kuwait dumped into the Persian Gulf during the 1991 war did little long-term damage, international researchers say.

As Iraqi troops retreated from Kuwait, they opened the valves of oil wells and pipelines, pouring up to 8 million barrels into the gulf. But researchers found little lasting damage.

Help me Mr Math! How long will the current spill need to flow to create that kind of damage......?

I think you may be interested in that bridge for sale in Fremont. It's really nice quality construction, it has many years of use left on it, and it requires minimum maintenance. A good deal all around. Let me know and i can hook you up for a small fee.

Point that finger at yourself, I answered your question and you totally missed it.

I think he is saying that he was trolling for me. You are right the troll was low quality.

Edited by j_b

The real cost of cheap oil

by John Vidal

Big Oil is holding its breath. BP's shares are in steep decline after the debacle in the Gulf of Mexico. Barack Obama, the American people and the global environmental community are outraged, and now the company stands to lose the rights to drill for oil in the Arctic and other ecologically sensitive places.

The gulf disaster may cost it a few billion dollars, but so what? When annual profits for a company often run to tens of billions, the cost of laying 5,000 miles of booms, or spraying millions of gallons of dispersants and settling 100,000 court cases is not much more than missing a few months' production. It's awkward, but it can easily be passed on.

The oil industry's image is seriously damaged, but it can pay handsomely to greenwash itself, just as it managed after Exxon Valdez, Brent Spar and the Ken Saro-Wiwa public relations disasters. In a few years' time, this episode will probably be forgotten – just another blip in the fortunes of the industry that fuels the world. But the oil companies are nervous now because the spotlight has been turned on their cavalier attitude to pollution and on the sheer incompetence of an industry that is used to calling the shots.

Big Oil's real horror was not the spillage, which was common enough, but because it happened so close to the US. Millions of barrels of oil are spilled, jettisoned or wasted every year without much attention being paid.

[..]

There are more than 2,000 major spillage sites in the Niger delta that have never been cleaned up; there are vast areas of the Colombian, Ecuadorian and Peruvian Amazon that have been devastated by spillages, the dumping of toxic materials and blowouts. Rivers and wells in Venezuela, Angola, Chad, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Uganda and Sudan have been badly polluted. Occidental, BP, Chevron, Shell and most other oil companies together face hundreds of outstanding lawsuits. Ecuador alone is seeking $30bn from Texaco.

The only reason oil costs $70-$100 a barrel today, and not $200, is because the industry has managed to pass on the real costs of extracting the oil. If the developing world applied the same pressure on the companies as Obama and the US senators are now doing, and if the industry were forced to really clean up the myriad messes it causes, the price would jump and the switch to clean energy would be swift.

If the billions of dollars of annual subsidies and the many tax breaks the industry gets were withdrawn, and the cost of protecting oil companies in developing countries were added, then most of the world's oil would almost certainly be left in the ground.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/may/27/cheap-oil-cost-developing-countries

Old news. Worth repeating so that the Suburban, Expedition, Tahoe and Durango single vehicle commuters here, who also don't think the Iraq war was for subsidized US gas prices, can consider their actions. The recent Shell Oil spill in Nigeria was reportedly huge, although one has to wonder at the reporting truth and actual accuracy when the spillee (Shell) is also the reporter.

life_is_not_fair_button-p145142044299894123t5sj_400.jpg

Our government spends billions to find ways to subsidies gas so we can ignore our actions and still get cheap gas. Bikes rule. You see that Fairweather? Think on it the next time you get slightly inconvenienced and your road rage starts to bubble over at some poor bastard who is helping keep your country strong by riding a bike to work. [/rant]

Old news. Worth repeating so that the Suburban, Expedition, Tahoe and Durango single vehicle commuters here, who also don't think the Iraq war was for subsidized US gas prices, can consider their actions. The recent Shell Oil spill in Nigeria was reportedly huge, although one has to wonder at the reporting truth and actual accuracy when the spillee (Shell) is also the reporter.

Our government spends billions to find ways to subsidies gas so we can ignore our actions and still get cheap gas. Bikes rule. You see that Fairweather? Think on it the next time you get slightly inconvenienced and your road rage starts to bubble over at some poor bastard who is helping keep your country strong by riding a bike to work. [/rant]

Who cares what FW thinks. At some point everyone should realize that No Child Left behind should be replaced with Leave the losers behind act. Till we stop catering to the white trash uneducated populous, completely incapable of independent thinking every attempt to change things for better will be destined to fail from the start. Let him fuck pigs, but lets leave his opinion out of the roam "what counts" and put it in a folder "who cares".

I find it also completely hypocritical how the republifuck front runner bobby jindal was crying for smaller government, but now is bitching like whiny cunt about the lack of federal response. why doesn't he ask BP to clean their own mess?

Just wait for his statements after the volcanic lahar sweeps through a Tacoma un-evacuated because of his help in slashing the "volcano monitoring" budget.