Hilleberg Rad vs Wal-Mart

johndavidjr

Any message or opinion you might have, about Walmart puptents, my life form, or anything, is lost in the cacophony of your personality defect.

Do you know why those other internet forums banned you? Because you're a jackass. It really has nothing to do with Walmart tents, though I hear they are an excellent value.

I think at this point it would be great to hear some more gear tips and philosophical musings from the great JDJ. Please drop some more knowledge on us, oh wise one. What sort of pack do you carry? Is it a Jansport? I hear those are pretty nice. Please enlighten us dimwits.

walmart1.jpg

pup_tent_camping_postcard-p239010789892464672qibm_400.jpg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More customer reviews

Do Not Buy This!! Date: June 5, 2009

"I purchased this tent last spring. For around $120. We took it camping for one week. We slept 3 kids and 2 adult with some of our stuff and it is really roomy and you can stand up and get dressed, that is the only nice thing about this tent.

The directions are hard to read, you need 2 people to set it up because the poles are so long.

The way this tent is designed the dome creates a diamond shape on the top of the tent. Which acts like a bowl in rain. Within 10 minutes of it raining we knew we were in trouble. The water sits in a pool on top of the tent and will constantly drip through the fly onto your head. You need to constantly empty the bowl, which is not fun when you have to do it all night. This tent also has very large windows, and they leak. Every seam at each corner of the window just lets water poor in. All the peg holder seams leak too.

The way the door is designed is terrible. It opens from the bottom up, so there is no way to get circulation through the tent unless the door is left wide open. And if it has rained the door has to flap into the tent to get in, getting all your stuff wet.

Whoever designed this tent did not test it out to see if it works or f it was is even practical for camping use. A big waste of money. N"

Yeah, but dude, it's like "functionally similar" to that Swedish piece of shit.

in that its a tent?

As an atheist, I'd say metaphorically, you are ALL DOOMED TO HELL , at a much lower level than the one at at which I will be sadly spending ALL OF ETERNITY.

This unfortunate FACT is due to your inability to realize the intensely STUPID error of your ways, which is essentially, and somewhat ironically, the same vacuuity of all of consumer society.

If you look at it, I offer a simple and reasonable set of facts strictly regarding A vs. B... and you offer so-called jokes, that minority of 16-year olds might find amusing.

ABANDON YE ALL HOPE!!!

I think at this point it would be great to hear some more gear tips and philosophical musings from the great JDJ. Please drop some more knowledge on us, oh wise one.

I doubt there are any but the never ending déjà vu that keeps him awake at night:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/918720/Re_Wal_Mart_puptent#Post918720

(Have moved to central Michigan, from Jersey City. ARE YA HAPPY NOW???? My prospects now would be better in Wenatchee. Hence my interest in Wal-mart.)

But getting back to point:

A $365 Hilleberg tent is quite similar, functionally, to a $20 Wenzel tent (available at Wal-Mart).

Nobody has tried to refute this, nor even explicitly disagreed.

Moreover, it's simply factual.

Neither of these tents are particularly versatile, but both have some utility in fairly narrow range of conditions.

Presently my main tent is Go-lite Hex (Now Shagri-La 3). No floor nor bug net. When am REALLY scared of bugs, I revert to a Sierra Designs Divine Light single-wall/breathable solo tent from about 1990.

Lost the poles, sadly, from TNF (Wal-Mart client) 1990 Starfire about 7-8 years ago. Replacement cost is close to $200 from manufacturer

Its way more funny to watch you argue with yourself.

$20 doesn't even fill have a tank of gas

$20 barely covers three value meals at McD's

Anyone who is so cheap that they are willing to risk their life using piece of shit equipment in severe alpine conditions is a stupid mother fucker

Its way more funny to watch you argue with yourself.

More to the point, nobody cares how a useless tent and its expensive counterpart compare.

Never heard of either and having seen the link, I know why.

Have you thought of trying to wage this battle on Backpackers anonymous or someplace like that?

But thank you for the entertainment.

OMG, no way! What is deja vu when it happens twice!? Is it deja deja vu vu or should it just be referred to as a "glitch in the Matrix? Especially if you bring a link like the mighty Mito just did upstream to prove the existence of said Vu

Proof of the glitch in the Matrix link

This all seems like it's all been done before, almost word for word....man, deja vue....

I assume climbers doing exclusively or even mostly high-altitude routes in arctic or sub-arctic conditions are tiny minority on this board. Maybe this is wrong.

Typical summer Cascades/Sierra alpine camp is in benign weather at moderate altitude, with only real menance being mosquitos.

Rock climbers have somewhat healthy tendency to shop for equipment by brand. I have moderate experience and tend to favor Black Diamond.

Many climbers I meet have essentially unlimited funds and are mid-career doctors. engineers, and lawyers, and transfer this tendency to other areas: Clothing, cars, booze, restaurants........

Many non-climbers I meet have similar tendencies........

"Backpackers" per se, are idiots, pure and simple.

There is absolutely nothing I can think of worse, more lame, than an "expert" backpacker giving advise to a "novice."

Typically, they emphasize supposed complexity and dangers of sleeping, and the need for vast experience and expensive equipment to accomplish this.

Gets creepy.

It's absolutely true that many climbers, at all levels, in Gunks are economically, and/or often intellectually elite. Especially those like myself (modest and poor climber) in middle age and older.

Some of the very best climbers I've encountered in Washington State have been relatively poor, and weirdly humble, backwoodsmen.

"Best climbers" aren't my subject.

Creepy sleeping and hiking advise for boy scout-types in mild conditions is my concern.

Saying that a $20 tent (basically for one person) that can be modified to weigh 2-3 pounds is laughable gives me the creeps.

I've heard lots of this kind of response from "backpackers" that are highly impressed with their ability to walk and sleep, and hyper-BS concerned about "warning" people against taking a hike without "survival training" and God-knows what nonesense.

The other issue is self-identification with high-price brands and consumer goods. Like, I'd NEVER buy a $4.00 bottle of wine and Budweiser is bad for morality and your resume...