What have you dropped?

pink

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner took a messy dump from the hanging belay after leading the first pitch of Sea of Vapors. After climbing it, on the way down the shit had frozen. I waited out the bottom while he hacked frozen shitsicles off the climb.

You probably couldn't do that with those fancy modern tools though.

i dropped my jug off the next to last pitch of town crier on the upper town wall while soloing it this summer - made it kinda hard to do the last pitch - once back on the groudn though i found it in 2 minutes, not a scratch on it! not bad for a near 500 foot fall :)

Actual stuff dropped, from the pack or on a route, by myself or a partner, over the years:

ice axe (recovered)

ski poles

3 ice screws (recovered)

2 belay devices

biner, sling, piton

3 wired stoppers

digital camera (Recovered...what was left of it)

altimeter watch (FAWK! Now resting at the bottom of Prince William Sound)

tent (recovered mid tely turn just before it rolled into a crevasse)

various skis (recovered)

Gear stolen by bushy tailed wood rats over the years:

1 pr light gloves

fuel cup for MSR Whisperlite

1 pr jumars (THAT HURT)

my helmut and headlamp from the top of the 'american zone' at 3am. funny, my headlamp was on and u could see it blink as my lid spun through the air. i found it the next day and the headlamp still worked, there was just a small crack in the lid.

I dropped my almost-new yellow linkcam off the top pitch of "Rock On" in Squamish last week. It had been given to me as a special birthday present last year, so I was sad about having been so careless with it(and dreading telling my S/O of its fate).

On the rap down from the climb, I spotted it near the 2nd rap station, delicately dangling from a tree banch like a Christmas ornament. A happy ending. :moondance:

I "lost" a #5 camalot at the base of El Cap, but it was in my pack, not dropped.

When you were climbing in the Valley I'm pretty sure camalots hadn't been invented yet.

Oh, I'm pretty sure they were invented before last June, foo.

Thanks Bill, but it was brand new, no dinged up wobbler, and I know Pete wouldn't be stealing shit out of people's packs.

Edited by Off_White

i dropped a few of pitons and chongo gave them back to me the next day when he was camping on south seas for like forever... and i smoked a bowl with him for the kind gesture. we passed the bowl with a stuff sack tied to two 60 meter ropes tied together from his high camp while i listened to "and justice for all". fuck, it took like 10 minutes to "pass the dutchy".