Raindawgs gonna shit himself

dberdinka

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to Everest or any other super high mountain you will lose virtually all muscle bulk. The thing is to bulk up before you go, for sure, and big guys tend to do better than little guys, but you'll come home looking like the 98 pound weakling.

Remember that time we had mono on Everest? Wasn't that the best diet ever?

00861601.jpg

I still want to know why the mad bolter gets to be all nekid when everyone else has to wear full down suits. He must be breaking a sweat as he runs up and down the mountain.

I have the Hilti TE 6A and that thing is f'n heavy. I can't imagine shlepping it up the big E, but then the sherpas probably carried it 98% of the way.

What gets me is not the polypro but the bare hands on the rock. Brr!

Hey Rain, why don't you put your talk into action and go chop those things!

I think the dude who put them in there should have a revelation and chop them himself...and he's so dang proud of himself that he had someone take pictures of it all. I ain't got the time or money to mess with that myself.

How at the bolts any different than the thousands of feet of fixed line?

They aren't. Leaving stuff up there of any kind is littering. It ain't the size of the litter, it's the principle. At least you can pop old pickets out of the snow and haul down "tat" and other garbage.

Speaking of installing permanent anchors on big mountains, I seem to recall a number of years ago that there was another guy (Larry Penberthy?) who was advocating enhanced safety measures on Mt. Rainier and suggested that some sort of railing be put up on Disappointment Cleaver....like bolts on Everest, another way of dumbin' it all down for the masses.

what are the odds those bolts will still be there in 10,000 years? everest is a young mountain - i have a feeling she'll grow outta these pre-pubscent blemishes :)

Will there be any people around to even care?

that's my point - it seems unlikely that either a) there will be folks around then or b) if they are around, they'll give a shit (the rich tourists then will be able to beam to the summit dude, why have to actually walk up the damn thing? either that or they'll be transcendent children of light and have cast off thier mortal skins to roam the universe at their leisure, and certainly have the power to clean up a landfull the size of what i bet is still no more than that of a small town in bumfuck, ohio) - the mountain itself doesn't care, and in the fullness of time will go back to being the thoroughly wild, untrammelled place it used to be - in the meantime, adding some safety for the sherpas who actually make a living off this, their one great natural resource, is pretty much a no-brainer

I think the dude who put them in there should have a revelation and chop them himself...and he's so dang proud of himself that he had someone take pictures of it all. I ain't got the time or money to mess with that myself.

How at the bolts any different than the thousands of feet of fixed line?

They aren't. Leaving stuff up there of any kind is littering. It ain't the size of the litter, it's the principle. At least you can pop old pickets out of the snow and haul down "tat" and other garbage.

Speaking of installing permanent anchors on big mountains, I seem to recall a number of years ago that there was another guy (Larry Penberthy?) who was advocating enhanced safety measures on Mt. Rainier and suggested that some sort of railing be put up on Disappointment Cleaver....like bolts on Everest, another way of dumbin' it all down for the masses.

I know a guy who thought they should put a fixed line in at Camp Curtis because the snow was low that year and descending to the Emmons was "a safety issue"

They dress the gumbies in colorful down suits at all times for a number of reasons:

1) So that they overheat and under perform, making the climb artificially harder than it needs to be, so that the guides, appropriately dressed, can retain their demigod uber-human status.

2) So that guides can simply zip up a collapsed client within a down "body abandonment bag" and leave them for dead.

3) So that other climbers can easily see and walk past/around/ over dead and dying climbers. Less colorful body abandonment bags would be dangerous.

• 1 year later...