whats the new blue nun?

markwebster

I've decided to start drinking again...

Beer tastes like cow piss, but my climbing friends frown on my wine coolers so I'm looking for something with a little more class.

I was prowling the grocery store wine isle and was overwhelmed by all the wine brands. The last time I enjoyed a bottle of wine was in '83 and it was blue nun. Can anyone recommend a specific bottle of wine that is sort of like blue nun used to be?

Whenever I guess at a wine it sucks.

I looked on wikipedia and it says it was a semi-sweet German wine. I don't like red wine...too...wine tasting

Any help would be appreciated. I figured if anyone would know, it would be my fellow wanna' be dirtbaggers. :brew:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are any number of Washington Johannesburg Rieslings that are vastly superior to Blue Nun for example St. Michelle, Columbia and Hauge all are pretty inexpensive but also semi sweet you could also try Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris. Chardonnays and Sav. Blanc are less sweet (dryer).

Blue Nun :provoke:

I'm not a big sweet wine fan. That said I have on occasion enjoyed a sweet German or Italian wine, but only in Germany or Italy as they tend to keep the best stuff close to home and export the crappy junk. If you can find it, look for Müller-Thurgau (name of the grape), mostly in small, flat bottles. It's drunken more as a desert wine.

Sounds to me like you need to do this Mark. Stop at the German white wine section and buy any bottle of Reisling that says "Auslese" (special picking) or "Spatelese" (late harvest). Could be any brand, but it will be marked with that on it.

Chill it and drink it. Brown bottles are Rhein (if you see Rheingau or Rheinhessian on the label that's the better Rheinish areas and generally better than the green which are Mosel areas. Could go much deeper into this, but that will get you started.

PS, on the German white wines, try to buy one that is laying on it's side and has little dust on it. Standing upright for any length of time isn't a good thing.

ok, I'm taking notes on all this. I should be much better prepared next time I go to safeway. I do like mikes hard lemonade...I'd class that with coolers. Most of my buddies who drink seem to be either wine snobs, or beer snobs. Drinking coolers is a way to piss them off, which is fun. I'm not really on the wagon, but I only drink after climbing, and then only one or two.

By starting to drink again, I meant I'm going to start keeping some booze in the house for the odd drink after dinner...or if I wake up at 3 am worrying about my nonexistent pension fund.

thanks for all the suggestions.

I've decided to start drinking again...

Beer tastes like cow piss, but my climbing friends frown on my wine coolers so I'm looking for something with a little more class.

:brew:

From what you have written here if you looking for a tailgate buzz, without looking too queer drinking a wine cooler then try the following, though you still probably get shit:

Mike Hard Lemonade

Hard Cider

Segrams Cooler

All of those go down like a soda pop. Now if you are want to show some class but, discourged by beer taste, try a Lambic. They are Belgium fruit beer, they got a kick and they taste pretty damn good, but expensive.

Gary's suggestions are pretty good on the wines, but it not something pack in the cooler and have at the end of the day at the crag. And I have a hard time pairing those type of wine with food, they are nice with desserts though. If your at home and having dinner, entertaining and don't know shit about wine, then you are better off having a selection of liquor for cocktails. Have one or two before dinner and you and your guest won't necessarily be thinking about having any wine. My favorites are:

Single Malt Scotch

Good Tequilla (no shit tequilla)

Black Russian

Gin and Tonic

Mojito

my wife is all about Cosmos (note not a manly drink at all)

Just what sort of beer have you drank? You might like some of the Belgiums, they tend to be a little sweet, sometime smokey, sometimes nutty, sometimes hoppy or combination and packed with a punch. Maybe try a small bottle of blue labeled Chimay. It rich, thick and sweet, not hoppy or bitter, not my favorite, but I like beers that are complex and hopppy or coffee type tastes.

After not drinking for a longtime when I started drinking again it my first beers were cask conditioned ESB. I really like cask conditioned beer

Ah for odd after dinner drink, mmm Bristol Cream or my favorite B&B (Brandy and Bedectine).