How do you treat your gear?

Clarence

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm like Muffy. I like to have mine dangling out!!

If you can't sit on your helmet, how the hell is it supposed to protect you from falling rock?!

With those superlight modern helmets, I think the helmet's breaking is part of how they absorb shock. In the case of a falling rock, this may well be a reasonable mechanism. You are going to get one blow, and presumably the rock is thereafter on its way down the cliff to nail the next victim below. However, in the case of a mountaineering accident - say a tumble down a gully or something - or even perhaps in a long leader fall on a crag climb, you probably want a helmet that maintains some integrity as it takes the abuse it is going to be subject to.

MattP,

Clip your helmet on the outside of your pack like the rest of us mortals. Then you won't be pinching it sideways in ways it was not designed to resist....and don't go tumbling down gullys!

Side note: anyone been on a motorcycle in Indonesia or elsewhere? Those helmets are eggshells that are no better than a thin layer of SPF 100 plastic.

R

Buy a cheap one, put your chihauhau in it, and put it in your pack. Then have Ivan sit on it.

I have a super light Grivel that would be less than OK tumbling down a gulley. Not enough temple protection. But it does have styrofoam inside so it will absorb shock. The exterior is some kind of composite so it is supposed to hang together even after Mattp climbs with it. Holding together and trusting it again are different concepts.

My mom’s been dead ten years, Choda, and if Mac is similarly situated I don’t think you’re bragging too much if you are referring to her.

Gear is gear. I take care of it and it generally takes care of me.

I worry more about the more fragile or crucial elements of the chain or damage that will affect the essential purpose rather than just convenience or appearance. For instance: I don’t like it when my dearest little kitty pees on my rope, but I’ll sit on my pack or use a ‘biner for a beer opener (even though the traditional method torque’s ‘biner and may cause a sticky gate) and I’ll pack ice screws inside a helmet so they don’t rip a hole in my pack (may rip holes in foam lining). Because I DO use my gear for unintended applications, I’d recommend going for the tough over the superlight unless you’re trying to make a speedclimb or if you have money and inclination to replace things often -- even though this may result in heavier pack. I'll set a tarp that will brush up against bushes, for example, or maybe use it as a cover for a pile of stashed gear or even a wrapper for a package in a helicopter sling or a car trunk; the lightest weight tarp that is designed only to be used for rain shelter may not withstand this.

It is not anal to take care of what you have; it probably IS anal to inspect your gear after every climb or keep detailed lists or what you carry or …

Everything has different standards and the amount of care required depends on the item under consideration and the intended application. I agree with Choada's prior suggestion that a helmet that you can tear in half with your bare hands is probably not a good piece of gear, though for some limited applications it might be OK. For a sport climbing helmet, or even one used for crag climbing that could include "trad," a one-smack-breaks-it helmet might be OK.

As suggested earlier, drying wet gear is probably a good idea, but my impression is that this is probably more important with tents and clothing than it is with ropes and hardware, as I have not known mildew to sacrifice gear strength as much as appearance, smell, and long time lengivity of materials that in the case of a rope you are likely to discard after a couple of seasons anyway. Cleaning and re-lubing pieces from your rack? Probably more important with cams, and in particular certain brands of cams, than carabiners.

I haven't met her but I don't think hers dangles.

If it did we'd have to change her name.

BTW, MattP, good extensive analogy and explanation. I agree with you whole-heartedly. The drying thing is to keep stuff from getting manky and smelly.

I have a closet in my house that is 20 feet long by 7 feet wide--that's where I keep my stuff

I have shelves for everything

I hang all my clothes and sleeping bags

All my climbing hardwear is hung on a pegpoard--I have found the pegpoard extremely helpful

This organization helps me out becuase all I have to do is visually "scan" for something and there it is.

I have noticed that I rarely forget anything becuase I can see everything when I pack.

I have a closet in my house that is 20 feet long by 7 feet wide--that's where I keep my stuff

I have shelves for everything

I hang all my clothes and sleeping bags

All my climbing hardwear is hung on a pegpoard--I have found the pegpoard extremely helpful

This organization helps me out becuase all I have to do is visually "scan" for something and there it is.

I have noticed that I rarely forget anything becuase I can see everything when I pack.

This is really smart! it should be on the tips and tricks section. I am in the process of trying to figure out the best shelving and storing system for my gear. Currently, I just leave most the stuff I don't use often in my pig and leave the day trip stuff in a backpack. All my camping, hunting, and hiking stuff is in those rubbermade boxes that are not see thru. I often forget to include something when I pack for one of those in-between trips. If it were all out on shelves, I could look through everything as you suggest!

I have see through rubbermaid boxes and milk carton plastic thingies that I keep organized by category. So one is aid gear like pins, hammers, hooks, aiders and jugs in one. Free climbing lead gear in another, and toprope stuff like beater biners, nuts and short rope sections in another.

Then I just toss the $5,000 + worth of stainless steel bolting shit like Fixe chain anchors and bolts which I bought to piss Dwayner off all over the place. Nah, really, I put most of that stuff in old empty wooden French wine cases which I had earlier turned into piss without his help. Ropes are all in rope bags stacked to the ceiling next to empty backbacks.