Skull Hollow Thieves

MtnHigh

Friday night we pulled into Skull Hollow and got a site with a picnic table. In an attempt to hold the site we left a few camp items on the picnic table before heading to the Park the following morning. When we returned Saturday evening a plastic container full of stoves, fuel containers and camp kitchen supplies was gone. There was a large group in our site who returned to us the other items we had left behind, a water container and foam mattress.

Over the weekend there were only a few climber groups at the camp. It was mostly occupied with semi-permanent residents with old school type hitch campers set up on blocks and hunters. I'm not advocating that one of the non-climber parties at the camp took our stuff, but rather that the usage of the camp seems to have changed. Hunters have used the camp for years, but the semi-permanent residents has grown.

In hindsight leaving a container full of supplies at the camp was a bad idea. I wanted to leave a tent, but the one I brought had a broken pole. Play it safe and be selective on what you leave at that camp.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steelhead falls is a much nicer free campground; however, i wouldn't leave your stuff there either. if a non climber stumbles upon it, of course there going to take it.

that being said, i lived at skull hollow for quite some time and left my stuff there. at that time the only full-time residents were climbers though. in the end it was the blm that 'stole' my stuff as they thought it was abandoned.

Wow!

There are 30 campsites with parking pullouts

and two pit toilets. Water is not available. Other

services are minimal so please take your trash

with you.

As an added bonus, the locals like to use the

hillside next to the campground as a target range.

Thats gotta be fun waking up to drunks with guns..

http://www.smithrock.com/localguide/campgrounds/sh_campground.html

It isn't exactly like we are all living in economic hardship and have to steal a loaf of bread to feed our families. Why is stuff like this getting worse?

we may not be as we choose to be dirtbags and live at various climbing areas; however, families living at skull hollow probably are not so fortunate.

Federal law enforcement for BLM and FS is streched so thin currently, unless there is a complaint or emergency, they really dont have the manpower to enforce things like stay limits.

I am firmly against it, buuuut, one positive side to grasslands becoming a fee site might be that the shady folks would be less likely to go klepto on us climbers.

interesting reaction to my comment. i did not say anywhere that it was ok to steal. i simply was trying to convey that some people actually ARE living in hardship - even if you're not.

I am certain you realize that

a) I know that there are folks who are suffering

b) they may or may not be the ones who took stuff from the campground

c) stealing camping gear is not okay no matter what your situation is. You know this and I know this. But to say that some folks are living in hardship gently suggests that this makes it "understandable" to steal camping gear. No, you did not say that explicitly; but you can see that it can come across like an implicit statement.

Wasn't really trying to stir any shit here. I am honestly wondering why theivery among our ranks or of our gear seems to be getting more and more common. Is it because there are more climbers with more expensive gear to take? A larger audience to sell stolen gear to? More kids who want to climb, can't buy the gear, and don't think much about stealing from a group they really do not yet identify with? Just curious...