Non spraying rant

layton

I just read a link that basically had folks oohing and awing "famous climbers" saying stupid shit like, "oh they're so cool. they act like real people...how inspiring"

Fuck that

Climbers aren't movie stars, rockers, royalty, or models.

Each one of us has (hopefully) done something beyond ourselves that deserves respect and admiration as a climber. Hell, that's why we climb right?

So why the heroworshiping cocksuckery?

Shake your own goddamn hand and sign your own fucking autograph.

This is why climbers hate movies like Cliffhanger, Mission Impossible II, etc... They basicaly say that you aren't awesome. They say that type of shit you do every week(or month or year) isn't as special as some actor pretending to have superhuman abilities to scale impossible blue screen. They imply that it's something reserved for something that you are not. The corporate use of climbing in movies, TV, and advirtising belittles every epic, heroic, and superhuman act you've ever done in the mountains.

Fuck that shit. Tell them, "No I'm not going to or ever will climb Everest, it's a fucking walk up." Tell them to go find out for themselves how you put that rope up there. Tell them when you get to the top all you care about is how bad you gotta shit, how tired and hungry you are, and the last thing you would yell is "whooo top of the world man!" Then tell them you are better than that corporate bullshit, and they could only wish that their actors playing for the camera wooing audiences and imasculating us into buying their product had a big a pair of balls as you do . the_finger.gif

Be your own fucking hero.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read a link that basically had folks oohing and awing "famous climbers" saying stupid shit like, "oh they're so cool. they act like real people...how inspiring"

Fuck that

Each one of us has (hopefully) done something beyond ourselves that deserves respect and admiration as a climber. Hell, that's why we climb right?

This is why climbers hate movies like Cliffhanger, Mission Impossible II, etc... They basicaly say that you aren't awesome. They say that type of shit you do every week(or month or year) isn't as special as some actor pretending to have superhuman abilities to scale impossible blue screen. They imply that it's something reserved for something that you are not. The corporate use of climbing in movies, TV, and advirtising belittles every epic, heroic, and superhuman act you've ever done in the mountains.

Fuck that shit. Tell them, "No I'm not going to or ever will climb Everest, it's a fucking walk up." Tell them to go find out for themselves how you put that rope up there. Tell them when you get to the top all you care about is how bad you gotta shit, how tired and hungry you are, and the last thing you would yell is "whooo top of the world man!" Then tell them you are better than that corporate bullshit, and they could only wish that their actors playing for the camera wooing audiences and imasculating us into buying their product had a big a pair of balls as you do . the_finger.gif

awww you just burst my bubble...now i'm gonna take down that photo of YOU! yellaf.gif

Mike, everyone has heroes. Wolfgang Gullich was mine when I started. He was pretty humble, but you make that seem like a bad thing that I point that out.

The fact that you choose not to appreciated that to some, successful people within this sport fill them with awe (often the case for inspired athletics in many sports is the feats of the Great Ones), show myopia.

Mike, everyone has heroes. Wolfgang Gullich was mine when I started. He was pretty humble, but you make that seem like a bad thing that I point that out.

The fact that you choose not to appreciated that to some, successful people within this sport fill them with awe (often the case for inspired athletics in many sports is the feats of the Great Ones), show myopia.

Well, that's, like, your opinion, man.

I agree, I think the commercialization of climbing along with competitions has created pretty much just what Harding predicted in Downward Bound - putting the climbers on a pedastal instead of the climbs. I think any hero worship at all simply tells new climbers there are "unattainable ideals" which is pretty much total bullshit. Climbing is about what you can achieve if you come up with the goods. My only hero's are the people stupid enough to tie into the other end of my rope again a second time...

My only hero's are the people stupid enough to tie into the other end of my rope again a second time...

Well join us for Saturday then. You know if a pussy like Moi can get up dem sh*ts you will have no problem. Besides, Powderhound can ropegun all the 5.9's for us. I left a VM for you earlier about this but hand'nt heard.

If your shoulder hurts, then you can be the official Rack Monkee.

BTW, just got your VM about the hammer today. Think it was left on the 19th. No worries sir, it's all good. I'll still pay attention when I belay you and not offer the obligatory penalty slack.

Now, to the main point: Totally agree with whatever Mike says, I'd want to be like Alex Huber. grin.gif Hot leather pants and that Fabio look must draw the babes, and the dude can climb on any continant.

Anyone else want to be honest, swim upstream and just say they want to be Tommy Caldwell, or maybe get his autograph or sumpin? grin.gif

I once bought Steve Ropers book and he signed it.

But I gave it to a friend for letting me stay in his place by Yosemite. OK: he wasn't around to let us in, and he didn't know were were going to crash there, but he'd left the door unlocked while he was gone and we drank his beer for him. True story: "Ordeal by Piton.

OK, I'm kidding around: cantfocus.gif

Seriously though, I only have hero worship for Swallows, you know, the birds.

When I started climbing back in the 70s my image of climbers was that we were counterculture. Kind of like enlightened climbing hippies. There were certainly heroes like chouinard, but I didn't obsess on his hero image. I do remember feeling superior to anyone that wasn't a climber, though I tried not to show it. I definitely pick up a lot of that latter vibe on this site though. And I generally agree with Mike. And that Mox Peak thing was sick!

Fuck that

I'm not famous?

I wanna be famous!

I'm very flexible

I'm superhuman dammit!

I'm elite, pay me to shill!

My Ego is Huge! wink.gif

I think any hero worship at all simply tells new climbers there are "unattainable ideals" which is pretty much total bullshit. Climbing is about what you can achieve if you come up with the goods.

I agree that it is a wonderful ideal to believe you can climb anything--especially when you are beginning.

I don't know about anyone else, but after 10 years I have learned that I have limits. There are things I will never be able to climb. And guess what? I don't care. But I certainly admire "elite" climbers more now than I ever did before--mostly because I have a better idea of how amazing their accomplishments really are. I don't feel like my climbing successes are belittled by theirs, nor are my ideals for my own climbing affected by their "heroic" accomplishments. These two things are unconnected.

But man I love watching my "heros" climb shit I couldn't ever begin to dream of doing--it takes my breath away.