commuting

olyclimber

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I lived in southwest Houston 20 years ago, it took 45 minutes (at least) to go 6 miles. That's like 8 miles/hour. hellno3d.gif

After I left there, I promised myself I would never live more than 5 miles from my office. I currently live 2.8 miles from the office, and it's the longest commute I've had in over 11 years. Takes, like, 7 or 8 minutes to get here. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Seattle to Kirkland for about a month.

Phinney ridge to Capitol Hill by bike and bike via Dexter kind of sucked because any savings on fuel costs were more than negated by the additional money that I spent on food to fuel the trips back and forth.

Seattle to Kirkland for about a month.

Phinney ridge to Capitol Hill by bike and bike via Dexter kind of sucked because any savings on fuel costs were more than negated by the additional money that I spent on food to fuel the trips back and forth.

but fuel costs are only part of the cost of driving...

I agree. Ammunition is CRAZY EXPENSIVE these days. pitty.gif

In college I commuted from Kingston to UW via ferry and bus. About 1 1/2 hours each way.

When I graduated my first job was in Bellevue, so Kingston to Bellevue via ferry and car. I left a car parked in Edmonds. About 1 1/2 hours to work, and 2 1/2 hours home....longer once they stopped letting us cut through Clyde Hill, so I always missed the 6:30 ferry.

After 2 years, I had to call that quits.

none of the commutes I've had have been extremely long in actual time.... (my current one is 30-35 minutes, down to Feddl' Way, with a average speed of about 60 mph, so I don't mind it too much).

but the longest, BY FAR... in terms of how far it made me feel like I was going... was when I used to live in Wallingford and commuted over the bridge to Bellevue. downtown Bellevue, no less. [shudder] GawwDAMN that place left a nasty taste in my mouth every day. hellno3d.gif (well, mostly the place I was working, but also the city itself). Fortunately didn't have to stay there longer than about 2 months.

there were a few times when I took my bike on the bus in the morning, though, and would ride home over the I-90 bridges and then up Lake Wash. Blvd... about 14.5 miles. that always made the day end on a fun note. thumbs_up.gif