F'n dogs

chucK

Since the exciting threads today are about whiners at Smith, I thought I'd do a little whining of a well-known vintage.

Saturday, I'm walking down the trail, this medium dog comes around the corner. I stop, try to be friendly, and it starts barking and dashes back around the corner. Then comes this more scary-looking pit-bullish type of dog and it's looking pretty growly. Owner rushes up and works at getting first growly dog, and of course says about the pit-bully type dog that, "He's very friendly. He never bites". This dog is snarling at me, and I put the back of the hand out to it to let it get a sniff and it tries to take a chunk from me. Dog is corralled and leashed and I move way out into the bush to get by as the mutt snaps at me.

Then yesterday, we were up at Three O'Clock Rock with a couple of families, and some dog bit one of the six-year olds in the face! The party with the dog were hanging out right at a trail intersection.

PoS dogs! madgo_ron.gif

Sorry to say it, but the only solution is the final solution.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday, we were up at Three O'Clock Rock with a couple of families, and some dog bit one of the six-year olds in the face! The party with the dog were hanging out right at a trail intersection.

madgo_ron.gif

The dog should be put down and the dog's owner(s) should be fined and forced to pay any/all medical bills.

The dog that bit the child yesterday did not look the dangerous type. And no dogs seem dangerous to their owners. They'll tell you with a straight face that their dog is very friendly and never bites even when it's got a piece of your arm in its mouth.

For the record, one party I passed on Saturday had a dog off the leash and the minute they saw me ran up and held their dog. I guess that's good, but it makes you wonder why exactly they felt compelled to do that?

Well, i've backpacked with my parents pooch, and honestly is a nice dog. Good with kids, I think the only thing she's ever bitten was her own tail. But she's big, hairy, loud, and friendly so I know whenever we see someone we grab her but it's to keep her from tackling you and licking you into submission. They're not all bad, but the ones that are madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif! Owners need to be shot.

"He's very friendly. He never bites".

yeah, I've had similar experiences. Just a few weeks ago while backpacking one weekend, some couple said the same thing while the unleashed dog is going nuts and barking in a threatening way. I have a canned response of "Oh, that's good because if he does then I'll kill him with my bare hands." Sounds awful but if they feel they have the right to make me feel threatened then I just flip that shit right back at them and make them a little nervous too. evils3d.gif

I agree, selkirk, most dogs are awesome.

Edited by griz

I run alot in my neighborhood, one day a pit bull came running at me and snapped at me and the brawl was on, I stood my ground and took some swings at him. Finally the dog backed off. (I thought I was going to get bit for sure, I knew it would bite my butt if I ran so I chose to challenge the dog and it worked. Good thing I am not a five year old kid!)

Edited by wally

This dog is snarling at me, and I put the back of the hand out to it to let it get a sniff and it tries to take a chunk from me

Perhaps next time you shouldn't stick your hand in front of an unknown dog, no matter what the owner says?

Then yesterday, we were up at Three O'Clock Rock with a couple of families, and some dog bit one of the six-year olds in the face!

Good lesson for the kid - don't stick your face down in front of a dog.

If a dog gets away or is off its leash, it ought to be whacked, followed by a beating for the owner. On the other hand, if you put your hand/arm/face in front of an unknown dog (or any dog) and the dog bites you: tough shit, it's your own fault.

I always leash my pup on trails and get many thanks from folks for being considerate. Seems like common sense to me even if my dog is a big goofy, loveable lab.

When I walk her around our neighborhood ( fringe ghetto on Tacomas "eastside") I carry a weighted fish billy and a small knife. Too many times I have had aggro pit types charge or approach us and I have had the billy ready for action. I must send off a scary vibe as thus far non have attacked. I am ready tho as I have no patience fo that kind of BS. I will attack to the death of the agressor if needed.

On the flip side, there is alot of gang activity and prostitution where I walk Jumar and her jovial demeanor has kept me pretty damn safe from humans, lol its awesome to have some gnarly mean looking gang bangers break out in a smile and a wave when they see Jumar wave.gif

This reminds me of a day I spent at Turkey Rocks a couple of years ago.

A group of climbers hitched their dog to a tree near the path that everyone had to follow on their way out, and - without fail - the dog reared back, growled, and lunged at each and every person unfortunate enough to pass by. Sometimes it actually lept off of the ground and got whipped around by the kneck when the leash came tight. Yet, the owners continued to insist that the dog was "friendly" and would "never just bite someone ." Perhaps they meant that it would never merely bite someone, preferring instead to latch onto their flesh and whip its head back and forth like a Moray eel on crank.

This continued until one fellow decided it was time to go home. He was a very pleasant and affable guy, despite being built like a cross between Howie Long and George 'The Animal' Steel. He had been climbing elsewhere and had yet to see the dog in action, and obliviously strolled towards the lunge zone on his way back to the car. What followed was only noteworthy for the sheer spectacle of watching scores of millenia worth of evolution reverse directions in a millisecond.

The guy didn't seem to take much notice of the low rumble emmanating from behind the bush, but when the dog hurled itself towards its next target, this guy turned the predator-prey dynamic squarely on its head and lunged towards the dog with one choking-hand extended towards its throat and one spam-block sized fist cocked atop an arm purpose built for skull-crushing, all the while bellowing out a roar that sounded like a silverback gorilla's kill signal amplfied by a speaker tower at a Motorhead concert for the deaf.

In the same instant, the dog that was playing the part of the untamed Ur-canine just a few minutes before recoiled in mid-leap, let out a yelp that would shame a show-poodle in a grooming salon, and attained the head-down-with-fully-tucked-tail cower position before even hitting the ground. Upon arriving on the soil, the dog scuttled behind a tree and continued cowering and yelping incessantly while intermittently pissing itself as the primate looming several feet away continued to alternate between -literally - pounding its chest and roaring out some inspired, theat-laden profanity "I - (POUND) - WILL - (POUND) - RIP - (POUND) - YOUR - (POUND) -MOTHER- (POUND) -F&^%ing - (POUND) - HEAD -(POUND)- OFF (POUND) -AND - (POUND) *&^%ING (POUND) EAT (POUND) - IT - (POUND) RAW (POUND)...[etc]"

This carried on for at least 20 seconds.

It must be true what they say about dogs and their owners sharing a common psychological profile, as the blase indifference, casual dismissals and occaisional snicker (seriously) that had characterized while their previous responses evaporated, and they looked on in mute shock when the tables were turned, and it was they who were worried about their companion being injured by a violent animal.

After they had finished cowering, pissing themselves, and yelping to one another they finally moved their dog away from the main pedestrian throughfare, and the other climbers were able to hike out without any further incident.

Having been bit in the face by a dog - cornered our dalmatian under a table when I was 2 - the dog took a chunk out of my face and the folks had to drive to the hospital in a snowstorm. I learned an important lesson on personal space that day adn the dgo lived out his days unmolested by me. 'course, now the dog would be put to sleep and Child Protective Services would be after my parents.

And the correct way to introduce your dog to someone on the trail is, "He hasn't bit anyone...yet."

The guy didn't seem to take much notice of the low rumble emmanating from behind the bush, but when the dog hurled itself towards its next target, this guy turned the predator-prey dynamic squarely on its head and lunged towards the dog with one choking-hand extended towards its throat and one spam-block sized fist cocked atop an arm purpose built for skull-crushing, all the while bellowing out a roar that sounded like a silverback gorilla's kill signal amplfied by a speaker tower at a Motorhead concert for the deaf.

Best prose of the week! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

If a dog gets away or is off its leash, it ought to be whacked, followed by a beating for the owner. On the other hand, if you put your hand/arm/face in front of an unknown dog (or any dog) and the dog bites you: tough shit, it's your own fault.

Don't know what happened with the six-year old, but if the dog was leashed (which I doubt, but it was leashed after the incident), it was leashed right in a trail intersection.

As for the other dog that came after me, it and the others were off their leash, on the trail, no way to avoid them. I guess according to JJD I should have beat up the women who were with the dogs. rolleyes.gif