Alpine Eats ...

BreezyD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get a loaf of cheap bread, a jar of peanut butter, and a pot of jam. Make the whole loaf into sandwiches, load them back into the bag, and apply compression until the stack height is reduced roughly 50%. They're going to get squished anyway, might as well be deliberate about it. Voila, with a sack of smushies you're good for a week, and need waste no time in selecting what you will have for your next meal.

Moose Goo HCL.gif is my favorite. It's just honey, corn flour, and peanut butter. Mix it up and put it in a refillable tube ($3 for two at REI). It tastes like a peanut butter and honey sandwich.

I have tasted this one, but I haven't had it as a meal:

Doug's Dinner

1/2 cup freeze dried refried beans (fantastic brand)

2 cups minute rice

4 oz Velveeta mild mexican cheese

2 cups boiling H2O

Mix and eat cheeburga_ron.gif

Maybe not what you're going to cook up on the Abruzzi Ridge but it's freakin tasty and high high in calories.....

1 package dried tortellini

1 can chicken breast

1 package dried pesto

some olive oil and parm

boil water, pour some off to make pesto

boil tortellini 15 minutes

drain toss everything together, fry it up a bit

top with parm

follow with half a package of Jello no-bake cheesecake cooled in the snow

for breakfast in the alpine i like granola and dried cranberries. just pour in bowl and eat while waiting for tea to boil.

dinner is the real cooking meal. sooo you are going to want to seriously rehydrate. most of my alpine dinners are based around a soup base with stuff added. the objective is to make a 1 litercup full per person. start opff with a packaged dried soup, i dunno why these are hard to find in grocery stores inthe us they are as common as dirt up here. anyways my favorites are the knorr cream of leek, orthe harvest soupworks veggie soup. now into that soup throw some carbs of choice either red lentils, rice or pasta. boil that up and meanwhile dice either a red, orange or yellow pepper, some horsecock, some onion, some garlic and/or sundried tomatoes, and or powdered cheese, curry powder and/or even raisins will work. chuck it all in and serve when it gets hot. for extra flava bring one of those 200mL nalgenes along filled with a mix of balsamic vinegar and olive oil and add some shots of that.

for dinner those jello instant puddins are great. bring whole milk powder, premix powdered pudding and powdered milk then just add water and stir.

The Thai Kitchen Soups & Stir Fry Mixes are really good. The soups are higher grade ramen. The Stir Fry mixes require a little bit of cooking, but can be done in one pot. If you bring along the foil Chicken you can have Pad Thai in the Alpine! Freddy's and TJ's carry them.

I'm lazy. If it can't be opened and eaten, or rehydrated and eaten, I don't carry it. I'm also veg, so no canned animal flesh on my list.

Good:

• AlpineAir Mountain Chili (though causes issues later).
  • Smoked, salted almonds. Recently described by someone as smoked, salted sex.
  • Kendall Mint Cake. Some people make awful faces about it though (but then want more later...) smile.gif
  • Luna Bars. Mostly because some of my partners won't eat them because they are "for women".
  • Oatmeal chocolate caramel bar things. Yummm.
  • Chocolate covered espresso beans.
  • Those fruit bar things that Fern totes around. I'm hooked.
  • Generally, anything that my partner carried.

Stuff I like but am too lazy to carry:

• Coffee and French (er, Freedom) press.
  • Something other than bars for breakfast.
  • Fruit. Apples in particular.
  • Carrots

Suck:

• Most freeze-dried shit.
  • "Facon". Though some people seem to love it, I tried and couldn't get there.
  • Anthing that requires a concerted clean-up effort.
  • Anything heavy that I have to carry. I usually try to sneak a block of cheese into my partner's pack.

-L

facon = aphrodisiac

Seven slices (if you can call them that) for breakfast summit morning. No wonder I couldn't keep up.

D00d: where's the Adams TR?

Writer's bl0ck. Maybe I need m0re fac0n. Actually, I think I used up all my creativity writing an appeal 0f the speeding ticket the Eat0nville welc0ming c0mmittee best0wed up0n me. madgo_ron.gif

Idea 1: I used to have one of those round plastic food dehydrators with the stackable trays and the solid plastic insert trays for fruit leather. Make up a big pot of tomato-based sauce. You can put meat in it if you want. Good to add chopped vegis such as peppers, broccoli, squash, etc. Cook it up and eat a little over pasta that night, then spray those solid tray inserts with veg oil and spread the sauce, or chili, or whatever on the tray. Dry it to a little drier than fruit leather-like consistency and divide it into dinner-sized portions in Ziploc Freezer Bags (the heavy duty ones). Store in the freezer until you're ready to go (They'll keep just fine in your pack on the trip ...no spoilage with the moisture removed). When you leave camp in the a.m. to go climb, fill the Ziploc with water and leave it in the pot all day. The sauce will rehydrate nicely. When you return to camp in the p.m., boil pasta, pour off water, and dump in sauce. Fresh grated parmesan makes it.

Idea 2: Those tubes of pesto ...like toothpaste tubes. Expensive but handy and quick! Mix with your favorite pasta and, again, fresh grated parmesan.

Idea 3: I'm pretty burned out on granola for breakfast, but I used to mix instant powdered milk with my granola in the ziploc bag at home, then in the mountains all I had to do was pour some in my cup and add water. Dried strawberry slices dress it up.

Idea 4: Bagels and cream cheese for lunch. Bagels are bomber in the pack. Cream cheese travels surprisingly well unrefrigerated.

Idea 5: Fig Newtons hold up well in the pack compared to other cookies. Those ones sold by the lb. in the bulk food section of many groceries are bigger and heartier (whole wheat)than the Nabisco ones. Not light, though... HCL.gif